U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2019, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Posting from my space yacht.
8,012 posts, read 3,147,525 times
Reputation: 14487

Advertisements

I get what you're saying but this is gay pride month so the uptick in promotion of this sort of thing is to be expected. Soon enough we'll be approaching July 4th and most of those rainbow flags will be replaced by American flags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2019, 06:39 AM
 
8,877 posts, read 2,756,449 times
Reputation: 5434
I get asked all the time if I want to donate to this cause or that cause when at the checkout. Just say no. Geez. It's not that hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 06:47 AM
 
3,328 posts, read 644,338 times
Reputation: 2300
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I get asked all the time if I want to donate to this cause or that cause when at the checkout. Just say no. Geez. It's not that hard.
The idea is that they are trying to embarrass you into giving.

Another example, also MACYs: at checkout, I was asked if I wanted to give money to "help the poor schoolchildren." Now I admit this got my interest, and so I asked what poor schoolchildren? The cashier said the schools don't have enough money to hire all the teachers they need.

Now, I have lived here for 20 years and schools always were able to hire teachers. We have VERY high property taxes (my property tax is higher than my actual mortgage), but in recent years we have had such an influx of illegal immigrants that the schools can't keep up. So now in addition to my massive property bill to cover the additional costs of illegals, I'm supposed to give more money at the check-out? So irritating.

And....are these companies claiming tax deductions for the money they are passing through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 06:51 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Florida/Tennessee
2,376 posts, read 4,304,796 times
Reputation: 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Adding Disney to my list of boycotted companies. Advocating for killing babies? Seriously.
Think about their stupid business model. They certainly don't understand cultivating a client base. Bambi is gonna protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 06:53 AM
 
Location: USA
17,629 posts, read 8,845,467 times
Reputation: 13163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And....are these companies claiming tax deductions for the money they are passing through?
YES the are. I have no problem with corporations LEGALLY using the tax code to reduce expenses. They all do it. However, they are hypocrites in that they promote doing it altruistically when it is always a calculated business decision.

Also, the are using Identity Politics and the groups they virtue signal to in a very condescending manner as if they NEED help, and can't do it on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 06:57 AM
 
3,328 posts, read 644,338 times
Reputation: 2300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
YES the are. I have no problem with corporations LEGALLY using the tax code to reduce expenses. They all do it. However, they are hypocrites in that they promote doing it altruistically when it is always a calculated business decision.

Also, the are using Identity Politics and the groups they virtue signal to in a very condescending manner as if they NEED help, and can't do it on their own.
OK, then that makes it worse. They are taking money from their customers in order to lower their own tax bill under pretense of "caring" about whatever it is.

Also, if I give....I am technically allowed to deduct that. That means that the donation is being deducted twice: once from the true contributor, me, and again from the "pass-through" agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Austin TX
5,974 posts, read 3,460,579 times
Reputation: 8074
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I will admit this type of thing gets on my nerves as well. I don't care if they jar on the counter or even if a question pops up on the credit card machine, but don't ask me if I want to give a dollar for this or that group. Unlike some posters, I don't see this as a left or right thing.
I totally agree. My husband and I give monthly gifts to our favorite organizations and on top of that are bombarded in the grocery store, the pet store, the hardware store, heck even Grub Hub wants to round off our food purchases to give to charity. It’s endless handouts. Can’t even stop at a red light here in Austin without someone jamming their head into your car window to ask for money.

Americans are generous, wonderful givers on our own right. The increasing pressure to give certainly gets old.

I know this isn’t exactly where the OP was going with this, but the constant pressure to support causes gets tiring, too. On a daily basis my FB feed is loaded with causes, calls for “awareness”, requests for money and support, even have a few friends that are starting to use their birthday to money beg for causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 06:58 AM
 
7,575 posts, read 2,223,704 times
Reputation: 9129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The idea is that they are trying to embarrass you into giving.

Another example, also MACYs: at checkout, I was asked if I wanted to give money to "help the poor schoolchildren." Now I admit this got my interest, and so I asked what poor schoolchildren? The cashier said the schools don't have enough money to hire all the teachers they need.

Now, I have lived here for 20 years and schools always were able to hire teachers. We have VERY high property taxes (my property tax is higher than my actual mortgage), but in recent years we have had such an influx of illegal immigrants that the schools can't keep up. So now in addition to my massive property bill to cover the additional costs of illegals, I'm supposed to give more money at the check-out? So irritating.

And....are these companies claiming tax deductions for the money they are passing through?
I truly wonder about all these "charities." Who exactly are they helping? We keep being told money is needed for XYZ ... why?

I started researching the "poor kids need food" meme. Since most schools have free breakfast / lunch, how are kids not getting fed?

Food banks / soup kitchens. Everywhere. Corporations donate food ... was in Panera this morning and cashier was talking about how EVERY NIGHT all unsold goods go to local food bank.

More research. There are groups that fill backpacks for the kids to take home on Fridays for weekend food.

Food charities are BIG BUCKS. Hundreds of millions donated annually to food charities.

Add in SNAP, WIC, Welfare ....

And ... take a look around ... see any anorexic kids that need food???

So where is ALL THAT MONEY going? Who exactly is not getting fed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Pyongjang
5,498 posts, read 2,330,042 times
Reputation: 3702
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I truly wonder about all these "charities." Who exactly are they helping? We keep being told money is needed for XYZ ... why?

I started researching the "poor kids need food" meme. Since most schools have free breakfast / lunch, how are kids not getting fed?

Food banks / soup kitchens. Everywhere. Corporations donate food ... was in Panera this morning and cashier was talking about how EVERY NIGHT all unsold goods go to local food bank.

More research. There are groups that fill backpacks for the kids to take home on Fridays for weekend food.

Food charities are BIG BUCKS. Hundreds of millions donated annually to food charities.

Add in SNAP, WIC, Welfare ....

And ... take a look around ... see any anorexic kids that need food???

So where is ALL THAT MONEY going? Who exactly is not getting fed?
True. So much obesity. There is probably too much food going around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 07:04 AM
 
3,328 posts, read 644,338 times
Reputation: 2300
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I truly wonder about all these "charities." Who exactly are they helping? We keep being told money is needed for XYZ ... why?

I started researching the "poor kids need food" meme. Since most schools have free breakfast / lunch, how are kids not getting fed?

Food banks / soup kitchens. Everywhere. Corporations donate food ... was in Panera this morning and cashier was talking about how EVERY NIGHT all unsold goods go to local food bank.

More research. There are groups that fill backpacks for the kids to take home on Fridays for weekend food.

Food charities are BIG BUCKS. Hundreds of millions donated annually to food charities.

Add in SNAP, WIC, Welfare ....

And ... take a look around ... see any anorexic kids that need food???

So where is ALL THAT MONEY going? Who exactly is not getting fed?
Yes, that's another example. We have free lunches, free breakfasts, free summer food programs, food stamps, etc., etc. Then at the grocery, a group hands you a list with 50 items on it, asking if you would buy some of these and place them in the bad for the "hungry children."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top