U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 07:05 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 16 days ago)

2,405 posts, read 4,309,506 times

Advertisements

Pig farmers are sure glad. Lots of waste means free feed. City folks have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 07:05 AM

4,866 posts, read 1,222,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes. It's EVERYWHERE.

Here's my day yesterday: Went to MACYs, and asked to give money to help gay people. Then went to lunch, and there was a line above the tip line to donate to something-or-other. Then to the grocery store where I was asked to give to support soldiers. (At least that's not a controversial lefty issue.) Then outside the grocery, some lowlife asked me for money because his car ran out of gas. (Yeah, right.) And, last stop, to the pet store, where I was asked for another donation (to homeless animals, so again, at least it's not for a social lefty cause). And then, at the corner of the parking lot, a homeless guy (there's a homeless shelter nearby, to which I donate) going up to cars at the stop sign, asking for money.

It just never ends. We have entered a new era of society where everyone has their hand out, constantly.
Totally agree. I say no to all of it. I will give a donation to any friends who ask for it if their kid is raising money or they are. Also, make donations to Breastcancer.org because the community was a godsend when I went through treatment. Unfortunately, they have gone rather left with antiTrump rhetoric. They don't allow politics but as usual, if it's left leaning, they don't do much to stop it as many other forums I have seen.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:07 AM

4,866 posts, read 1,222,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I will admit this type of thing gets on my nerves as well. I don't care if they jar on the counter or even if a question pops up on the credit card machine, but don't ask me if I want to give a dollar for this or that group. Unlike some posters, I don't see this as a left or right thing.
Agree. I feel like we are talking about two different issues here. One is the money grab at the counter. The other is when Bob Igor boycotts Georgia for their stance on baby killing. Two completely different animals.

Sadly, my husband's company does this virtue signaling stuff. They are not the worst offenders I have seen. No position on baby killing yet to my knowledge.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:11 AM

13,696 posts, read 5,520,095 times
The Left is smart. They use the unlimited corporate power which was granted by conservatives to advance left-wing social agendas.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:14 AM

3,352 posts, read 646,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Left is smart. They use the unlimited corporate power which was granted by conservatives to advance left-wing social agendas.
....and apparently use it to reduce their own tax bill.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:16 AM

23,962 posts, read 11,923,743 times
Corporations react to those who scream loudest and no one but the fruit loops scream the loudest in perpetual outrage demanding special rights.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:21 AM

22,892 posts, read 16,269,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
We all know about Gilette's commercial, and how their razors are great for transgendered women. I've got another one:

MACY's. I was shopping there, and their cause of the week is the gay community apparently. Literally every 10 minutes, a recording came on the PA system about donating to the LBGTQR community. (I find these constant PA announcements annoying anyway.....like "attention Kmart shoppers.") Then, at checkout, I was asked if I would like to donate to help gay people.

And it's not just MACYs.If I have four errands to run, I will have been asked to donate to a special cause four times. Five errands, five times. It's a very annoying pattern that seems to be the Modus Operandi these days, and I wish it would stop. I give generously to charities of my own choosing and don't like being badgered for money at every turn.

I also wonder if these stores deduct the money they collect as a charitable deduction off their profits. Anyone know?
Itís the nature of capitalism to tie public interest to opportunities to separate people from their money.

In the run-up to the Super Bowl, everything is football related. In October, everything is pink.
Get ready for Christmas in July coming soon.

June is PRIDE month so retailers would be extremely remiss not to use it to their advantage.
And those retailers in particular who rely on the most desirable demographic to fill their coffers sure donít want to risk losing that base by not being socially conscious.

ďMillennials prefer to do business with corporations and brands with pro-social messages, sustainable manufacturing methods and ethical business standards.Ē

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahla.../#2a837da54990

Itís just business.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:22 AM

7,578 posts, read 2,226,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Corporations react to those who scream loudest and no one but the fruit loops scream the loudest in perpetual outrage demanding special rights.
They don't scream the loudest .

The MSM gives them the most press. /shrug/

Ask yourself why.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:23 AM

5,995 posts, read 3,465,493 times
I was just reminded that Tomís shoes was another one to jump into progressive pet causes this year by using their internet marketing to promote gun control legislation.

I like Tomís shoes. Theyíre cute, comfortable, and their business plan of ďone for oneĒ, meaning every pair bought = a pair donated is something that I like. I do not appreciate however my email address being used to send me whiny over-the-top pleas from their faceless CEO admonishing our current gun laws and encouraging me to buy their products in an effort to help support that cause. As I result Iíve not bought any Tomís this year. Iíll follow suit with other companies that concentrate on social issues over delivering consistent product quality to consumers, too.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:24 AM

8,985 posts, read 4,111,791 times
Eat at Chick Fil-A and shop at Hobby Lobby. Problem solved.

It’s because of stuff like this that I fear a theocratic dictatorship is on its way in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or