U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:12 AM

6,894 posts, read 2,523,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm just fed up with being panhandled at retail transactions.
This.

I don't care what the cause happens to be, I wish I could have a No Solicitors Sign over my head that tells the various panhandlers to farq right off. If I want to give to a cause, I'll find the cause and go do so. Buzz off with all the panhandling, tyvm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 08:14 AM

1,740 posts, read 592,884 times
Gay rights are the go-to cause for corporations because

1) Corporations employ gay people in high up roles, unlike say poor people or illegal immigrants. So there is shoulder rubbing going on there.
2) Gays do not demand redistribution. It's essentially a free cause for the bottom line. The corporation pockets the progressive good will and pays nothing.

Would corporations ever celebrate doubling the corporate tax rate and income tax rates to pay for more social programs? Hell no.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 16 days ago)

2,404 posts, read 4,307,608 times
Speaking of Hobby Lobby and Chic-Fil-A... there's both of these businesses separated by a Harbor Freight near me in TN. I swear, I've seen this triage of business becoming a place to meet, "regular" folks. Lol...

Old 06-07-2019, 08:25 AM

9,461 posts, read 2,325,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
We all know about Gilette's commercial, and how their razors are great for transgendered women. I've got another one:

MACY's. I was shopping there, and their cause of the week is the gay community apparently. Literally every 10 minutes, a recording came on the PA system about donating to the LBGTQR community. (I find these constant PA announcements annoying anyway.....like "attention Kmart shoppers.") Then, at checkout, I was asked if I would like to donate to help gay people.

And it's not just MACYs.If I have four errands to run, I will have been asked to donate to a special cause four times. Five errands, five times. It's a very annoying pattern that seems to be the Modus Operandi these days, and I wish it would stop. I give generously to charities of my own choosing and don't like being badgered for money at every turn.

I also wonder if these stores deduct the money they collect as a charitable deduction off their profits. Anyone know?
Just say 'no'.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:38 AM

8,981 posts, read 4,107,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Why are they fundraising for gay people? According to the statistics gays have a ton of disposable income. So what are they fundraising for?
Homeless LGBT youth maybe?

It's a huge problem because Christian Republican parents have a knack for throwing their children to the streets for coming out as gay.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:49 AM

13,696 posts, read 5,517,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Gay rights are the go-to cause for corporations because

1) Corporations employ gay people in high up roles, unlike say poor people or illegal immigrants. So there is shoulder rubbing going on there.
2) Gays do not demand redistribution. It's essentially a free cause for the bottom line. The corporation pockets the progressive good will and pays nothing.

Would corporations ever celebrate doubling the corporate tax rate and income tax rates to pay for more social programs? Hell no.
Correct.

It’s free goodwill and “liberal” cred that doesn’t cost anything.

Actual liberalism (ie policies that benefited labor) would be ruthlessly crushed.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:59 AM

23,080 posts, read 12,289,570 times
Quote:
I've never had a corporation ask me for money at check-out to prevent birth control or fight against gays or any other righty issues.

(And nobody is trying to deny anybody birth control. I just shouldn't have to pay for your rubbers.)
Oh so it is the 'Would you like to donate" question at the cash register. The title of your thread was misleading -- it implied you were fed u with corporations taking on leftist social issues -- not specifically asking if you would like to donate.

Yeah it is ongoing isn't it....it seems all the major stores do something like this at some point. Everything from cancer research to the Untied Way. I just say no.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:04 AM

7,578 posts, read 2,225,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Homeless LGBT youth maybe?

It's a huge problem because Christian Republican parents have a knack for throwing their children to the streets for coming out as gay.
How much would be needed for outreach?
Hundreds of billions for the <2% of the population that are affected?
How do they find homeless LGBT?
Are homeless LGBT banned from the shelters and soup kitchens where the 'other' homeless people go?

Old 06-07-2019, 09:49 AM

3,605 posts, read 1,557,204 times
Quote:
We all know about Gilette's commercial, and how their razors are great for transgendered women. I've got another one:

MACY's. I was shopping there, and their cause of the week is the gay community apparently. Literally every 10 minutes, a recording came on the PA system about donating to the LBGTQR community. (I find these constant PA announcements annoying anyway.....like "attention Kmart shoppers.") Then, at checkout, I was asked if I would like to donate to help gay people.

And it's not just MACYs.If I have four errands to run, I will have been asked to donate to a special cause four times. Five errands, five times. It's a very annoying pattern that seems to be the Modus Operandi these days, and I wish it would stop. I give generously to charities of my own choosing and don't like being badgered for money at every turn.

I also wonder if these stores deduct the money they collect as a charitable deduction off their profits. Anyone know?
The biggest donation or favour one can do is to not worry about what they are doing. However its annoying to see the overload of the rainbows.

And another "Father"busted in California.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...la/1360221001/

Old 06-07-2019, 10:22 AM

3,387 posts, read 4,334,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^^Chik Fil A isn't using the owner's personal, private beliefs in advertising, or to sell their products in any way, shape or form. POOR ANALOGY mrpeatie.
Actually- it's an absolute correct analogy. Plenty of people openly support Chic-fil-A because the company is so tied to the religious/political stances of their owner. They give every employee Sunday (the Lord's day) off, they have a very specific profile of who they will consider as franchisees, and they expect employees to interact with customers in line with the original owners view of appropriate behavior. Heck- the one nearest me actually sells a Dan Cathry biography. There is no way to deny someone's ideology when they are selling that in the lobby.

Their business and mission are as closely tied as any business I can name except Newman's Own. I'd put them on par with Starbucks in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or