U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 12:18 PM

12,636 posts, read 3,213,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Because the fundamentalist Christians secretly laud hate crimes against gays. I grew up in a church where "kill the gays" was a sentiment that was expressed regularly.

The hatred against the LGBT community among evangelical Christians/Republicans runs very deep.
Please don't get me started on religious fundamentalists (or religion in general)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 12:26 PM

806 posts, read 313,823 times
How about Hollywood! I'm almost afraid to go see a movie at the theater because so many are political advertisements disguised as a movie that I have to pay for!!!

Liberalism is a disease. I don't appreciate them ruining a good movie with "their" messages.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
How about Hollywood! I'm almost afraid to go see a movie at the theater because so many are political advertisements disguised as a movie that I have to pay for!!!

Liberalism is a disease. I don't appreciate them ruining a good movie with "their" messages.
Movies are often about social issues and needless to say, for people who don't much like the general direction each generation tends to lean when it comes to the old guard status quo and/or promoting civil rights for women, POC, gays, diversity and the likes..., some people are put off by the likes, yes (especially older white heterosexual religious conservative men and women).

That said, you obvious don't have to see or pay to see any movie or TV show, and just maybe your problem is your choice of movies? Not hard to tell which movies are targeting which demographic (typically 18 to 26 year olds) and/or what sort of entertainment to expect. As usual, specifics would help. What "political advertisements" have you seen in which movies that are bothering you? That "ruined" the movie for you?

Old 06-08-2019, 12:57 PM

3,574 posts, read 1,192,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
We all know about Gilette's commercial, and how their razors are great for transgendered women. I've got another one:

MACY's. I was shopping there, and their cause of the week is the gay community apparently. Literally every 10 minutes, a recording came on the PA system about donating to the LBGTQR community. (I find these constant PA announcements annoying anyway.....like "attention Kmart shoppers.") Then, at checkout, I was asked if I would like to donate to help gay people.

And it's not just MACYs.If I have four errands to run, I will have been asked to donate to a special cause four times. Five errands, five times. It's a very annoying pattern that seems to be the Modus Operandi these days, and I wish it would stop. I give generously to charities of my own choosing and don't like being badgered for money at every turn.

I also wonder if these stores deduct the money they collect as a charitable deduction off their profits. Anyone know?
No one forces you to do business with these corporations if you don't like the way they do business. \_(ツ)_/

That said, I highly doubt they'll miss your dollars.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:58 PM

8,094 posts, read 2,412,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Because the fundamentalist Christians secretly laud hate crimes against gays. I grew up in a church where "kill the gays" was a sentiment that was expressed regularly.

The hatred against the LGBT community among evangelical Christians/Republicans runs very deep.
I used to think it was just extremists of the type demonstrated by the Westboro Baptist Church that were so blatant in its support for the hate & nonsensically seek to 'justify' the hate by religion (& its extreme litigiousness to support the hate & rage).

Now I wonder, particularly with this President's influence.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:01 PM

14,935 posts, read 13,324,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I have seen several companies actually using a rainbow colored logo this month. It's pathetic.

Gay people get special treatment for some very bizarre reason, like they are the Left's pet dogs or something. Ooh ooh look at my cute dog, give him a treat.
Well, don't you quite strongly oppose anti-discrimination laws for gays?

Old 06-08-2019, 01:05 PM

14,935 posts, read 13,324,706 times
Quote:

(And nobody is trying to deny anybody birth control. I just shouldn't have to pay for your rubbers.)
WRONG. Many people who want all abortion banned also want banned the type of contraceptives that prevent the fertilized egg from attaching itself to the womb.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I used to think it was just extremists of the type demonstrated by the Westboro Baptist Church that were so blatant in its support for the hate & nonsensically seek to 'justify' the hate by religion (& its extreme litigiousness to support the hate & rage).

Now I wonder, particularly with this President's influence.
The real problem tends to be the "oxygen" or space that extremists are afforded by those who congregate around similar ideology, perhaps less extreme but people who also subscribe to ignorant and intolerant ways of similar thinking, bigotry. Ultimately it tends to become a question of who is part of the problem one way or another, extremist or not, and who instead pushes toward a better way for all concerned?

Which direction does Trump's influence seem to go? Ever wonder why some of these extremist elements support Trump?

"In the US, video has emerged of far right activists celebrating Donald Trump’s victory with what appear to be Nazi salutes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us...th-nazi-salute

To some extent it might matter what Trump has to say about these knuckleheads who Trump will obviously want to distant himself from, but the real question is WHY do these knuckleheads feel Trump is their man?

Old 06-08-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
WRONG. Many people who want all abortion banned also want banned the type of contraceptives that prevent the fertilized egg from attaching itself to the womb.
Not to mention the people who are more than glad to pay the pittance for rubbers rather than the cost to raise unwanted children...

Old 06-08-2019, 01:19 PM

8,877 posts, read 2,756,449 times
Quote:
The idea is that they are trying to embarrass you into giving.

Another example, also MACYs: at checkout, I was asked if I wanted to give money to "help the poor schoolchildren." Now I admit this got my interest, and so I asked what poor schoolchildren? The cashier said the schools don't have enough money to hire all the teachers they need.

Now, I have lived here for 20 years and schools always were able to hire teachers. We have VERY high property taxes (my property tax is higher than my actual mortgage), but in recent years we have had such an influx of illegal immigrants that the schools can't keep up. So now in addition to my massive property bill to cover the additional costs of illegals, I'm supposed to give more money at the check-out? So irritating.

And....are these companies claiming tax deductions for the money they are passing through?
No one should ever be embarrassed into giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or