U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2019, 02:25 PM
 
23,080 posts, read 12,296,242 times
Reputation: 7306

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
If the Obama economy was really good, Hillary would have won.

She ran a bad campaign, could not win the EC like her baby-boomer friend Al Gore in 2000.


The Reagan economy was great in the 1980s, and that's why Bush the Elder won in '88 until it slowed in the early '90s.
It's not that clear cut.

Trump won three states by a total of about 80K votes.

That suggests that while that in some states the recovery was slower than others -- it wasn't a significant statement on the economy.

That's the thing -- Trump supporters keep getting fooled into thinking Trump won by a land slide. He didn't.

There was no big obvious mandate given to him.

The economy was good in November of 2018 and Trump lost seats for the Republican controlled House.

Soooooo....your conclusion isn't as grounded in clear facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2019, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Planet Telex
4,658 posts, read 2,292,592 times
Reputation: 4382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
For the most part, if you don't have a job now, it's because A) you don't want one or B) you don't have any skills or C) you are a difficult employee.
Even with a lousy 62.8% labor force participation rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 02:42 PM
 
998 posts, read 171,343 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It's not that clear cut.

Trump won three states by a total of about 80K votes.

That suggests that while that in some states the recovery was slower than others -- it wasn't a significant statement on the economy.

That's the thing -- Trump supporters keep getting fooled into thinking Trump won by a land slide. He didn't.

There was no big obvious mandate given to him.

The economy was good in November of 2018 and Trump lost seats for the Republican controlled House.

Soooooo....your conclusion isn't as grounded in clear facts.

You are correct, Trump won by a very slim margin when looking at vote counts. Much of that due to Democrats running a candidate carried 30 years of baggage with her and ran a horrible campaign. Trump had a lot of help to win by small margins. Even with the FBI, Russia, EmailGate, Benghazi, and more, Trump squeaked it out by the thinnest of margins.


Of course we will see who the Democrats run, personally I think Biden is another loser with too much baggage. But Trump no longer has the New Car Smell either, he will be judged on the countries direction in 2020.


Trump is banking that he can hold this economy together for another 1.5 years but its looking doubtful right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 02:47 PM
 
23,080 posts, read 12,296,242 times
Reputation: 7306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
You are correct, Trump won by a very slim margin when looking at vote counts. Much of that due to Democrats running a candidate carried 30 years of baggage with her and ran a horrible campaign. Trump had a lot of help to win by small margins. Even with the FBI, Russia, EmailGate, Benghazi, and more, Trump squeaked it out by the thinnest of margins.


Of course we will see who the Democrats run, personally I think Biden is another loser with too much baggage. But Trump no longer has the New Car Smell either, he will be judged on the countries direction in 2020.


Trump is banking that he can hold this economy together for another 1.5 years but its looking doubtful right now.
I agree -- I thought it was a mistake to have Clinton as the candidate, she was too divisive.

That's why I refuse the over simplification of what happened in the 2016 election.

There was not a clear mandate.

Trump lost the popular vote.
Trump eked out a win in three states.

AND those three states today are polling for Biden not Trump

( know I know -- polls aren't facts...but even the polls that some like to say were SOOOOO wrong -- weren't -- they were within the margin of error.

It's going to be a tight one.

What some folks think is Trump's biggest asset -- his showmanship style of campaigning, his name calling, childish comebacks may not sustain him this time around.

Do we forget how even the conservatives voting for Trump talked about how Trump 'wouldn't be like that' in the office of the President.

And he has been........

That's been a surprise for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 03:01 PM
 
977 posts, read 191,408 times
Reputation: 700


Trump is the ultimate Manchurian candidate... he is in the perfect position to absolutely destroy the US economy...


Putin got his moneys worth..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,051 posts, read 34,335,398 times
Reputation: 10466
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
how am I supposed to read that...

you were talking about the economy...and who controls it...the feds

he feds action helps/hurts the economy
Its easy. First you figure out the context (stock market today), and then read the sentence in that context. Investors today are betting on the poor jobs report to trigger the Fed to do something the markets like aka lower the rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,910 posts, read 14,235,190 times
Reputation: 16091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
US added 75,000 jobs in May, a sharp decline from previous months, suggesting the economy may be slowing. Unemployment rate remained steady at 3.6% however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Another bad month.....
Another great month.

CPS says 442,000 jobs added.

CES says 778,000 jobs added.

The fact that someone took 442,000 and ran it through the X-13ARIMA-SEATS software program with a bunch of useless irrelevant weighting factors to come up with the artificially derived number of 75,000 doesn't alter the reality that 442,000 jobs were created.

Lest you all forget, some of you swore up and down that only 20,000 "seasonally adjusted" (snicker) jobs were added in February.

The problem with that is Social Security says:

$80,889,354,191.42
$73,369,000,000.00
-----------------------
$7,520,354,191.42 in FICA taxes collected in February.

Since the FICA tax is 12.4% for employer and employee, that is wages of $60,648,017,672.

The 20,000 "seasonally adjusted" employees in February generated $7,520,354,191 in FICA taxes on wages of $60,648,017,672.

$60,648,017,672 / 20,000 = $3,032,400 per worker for February.

That would be wages of $18,952.50/hour.

And here I thought wages were, um, you know, "stagnant."

You all think you're smart, but you're not.

We'll see if those "75,000" new jobs (snicker) are getting paid $18,000/hour, too.

Or, you can just admit that "seasonally adjusted" is meaningless and misleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
19,030 posts, read 15,484,400 times
Reputation: 3956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
"It's terrible"
I find it amazing that you could say that. I suppose you claim TDS or to be non partisan CPDS (Current President Derangement Syndrome) doesn't exist.

I could see you claiming it could be better.
I could see you claiming it is only a continuation of President Obama
I could see you claiming wage growth could be better... but
terrible?? come on.

Where I live (Long Island) if you are unemployed it is either because you don't want a job, are too picky or are unemployable.


How many of them want jobs?
Look back at Trump's tweets & comments about the economy and job market in 2015 and 2016. Comments like terrible, bad very bad, sad, awful and things like that were used (including on job reports better than this one)



For the record I do not think this was a terrible jobs report (though it certainly wasn't great), and you can't make much out of a month or so anyway good or bad. However, I do think some of the comments about it being negative or simply being tongue in cheek are fair considering the past comments Trump made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 04:43 PM
 
5,365 posts, read 5,642,757 times
Reputation: 5485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
He is the first president in YOUR life who actually looks out for the American taxpayer dollar. I assume they don't tell you that on CNN though.
US national debt rises $2 trillion under Trump.

Yep. Trickle down national debt increase.

Bet most don't have a clue the difference between national debt and national deficit.

Overall, net interest costs will total nearly $7 trillion over the next decade.

Bet most don't even know what this means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 05:43 PM
 
4,501 posts, read 885,984 times
Reputation: 1904
And I am not one of them! Darn it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top