U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:48 PM

11,031 posts, read 2,740,670 times

Advertisements

I thought I was going to have to pay but I got money back. Still trying to figure out how that happened!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 12:50 PM

9,934 posts, read 8,073,510 times
IIRC from neutral sources, we are not there yet. Yes it was a tax increase.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:58 PM

17,675 posts, read 8,854,347 times
The lack of understanding of business, economics, finance, and NEGOTIATING seems limitless with many Liberal/Progressives. Wow.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:26 PM

27,521 posts, read 17,630,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Taxes on consumers harm the poor and middle class the most.

I thought Republicans opposed massive deficits and interventions in the market. I guess thatís only when a Democrat is in charge.

Of course these tariffs not only harm consumers they also harm investors. Including myself. Milton Friedmanís 1973 article in Newsweek opposing tariffs on the Japanese applies to tariffs on China today. I suggest true conservatives read it.
Wow-that is what conservatives have been saying about corporate taxes for years. Glad to see you're finally getting on board. The thing is-most corporate taxes only directly harm those corporations that do the most in this country-the more they produce here, the more value they add-the more they pay. As opposed to companies that produce overseas and merely sell here. Tariffs are one of the few ways to maintain revenue from corporate taxes and actually help level the international playing field at the same time. US producers have to pay higher wages, more benefits, spend more to comply with regulations and laws than foreign producers do-even when those foreign nations are not "dumping" products here-and charging tariffs on US exports to their countries.

I disagree with tariffs and want to see truly fair trade. Fair where ALL producers are working to comparable regulations, treating the environment similarly, paying their workers the same-AND where their government does not apply restrictive taxes on imports. Until that happens-tariffs are nothing but a tool to leverage a level playing field. Oh, and provide needed federal revenue. Are you aware that our entire federal spending for over 100 years was mostly funded by tariffs and not on direct taxes on American citizens?

Old 06-07-2019, 02:40 PM

6,901 posts, read 3,834,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Cut $1000, and raise $4000 and people still think they are getting a cut......

Trumpís Tariffs Have Already Wiped Out Tax Bill Savings for Average Americans

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ans/ar-AACwyvk

President Donald Trumpís trade wars have already wiped out all but $100 of the average American householdís windfall from Trumpís 2017 tax law. And thatís just the beginning.

That last $100 in tax-cut gains could soon completely disappear -- and then some -- because of additional tariffs Trump has announced. If the president makes good on his threats to impose levies on virtually all imports from China and Mexico, those middle-earning households could pay nearly $4,000 more

Subtract the tax cut, and the average household will effectively be paying about $3,000 more in taxes through additional levies on the products they consume.
Polly want a cracker? Your degrees in trade, federal law, and the Constitution from MSM-U and 5.00 will get you a lousy cup of coffee at Mickey Dís.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:11 PM

1,026 posts, read 310,210 times
Something some posters here don't seem to understand is that a large part of the trade war with China is due to Chinese theft of intellectual property from American companies. This cost of this theft is up to $600 billion every year, and they have stolen everything from formulas to make steel alloys from
United States Steel, to the secrets of the white filling in Oreo cookies from Dupont, to the hacking of American defense contractors. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/opinion/china-us-intellectual-property-trump.html

The problem goes back to Bill Clinton's administration, and nobody has done much about it. Now Trump is doing something about it.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 PM

21,537 posts, read 14,354,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I figure most of them are young people who don't have enough experience yet on how much elected politicians love to lie, exaggerate, swindle and make promises they don't keep.
No, a lot of these people are middle aged and older, and they are hearing the same lies that you and I are.

The difference is they believe them.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:09 PM

Location: 6 and 6 [prescott, az and san felipe, baja california
4 posts, read 322 times
I'm new to this site.

WMak70's reply demonstrates the impossibility of escaping the hateful disrespect for opposing thought that runs viral on the internet.

For some irrational reason people like WMak70 and odanny confuse INSULTS with ARGUMENTS.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:01 PM

45,061 posts, read 17,914,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
BIG FAIL.

The crank at Bloomberg that wrote that piece is talking about TARIFFS THAT HAVEN'T HAPPENED.

Democrats spend day after day looking for failure of America to look out after its interests. Must be a miserable way to live. Fake news was made for them.

/thread.

I'm proved right again. They didn't happen.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:06 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,753,204 times
Trump’s Tariffs Have Already Wiped Out Tax Bill Savings for Average Americans

What savings are we talking about for "average Americans"? I've been hearing from the get-go that the tax bill savings only happened for the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or