U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2019, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Nah, you are off base here. Its a typical and transparent tactic people use all the time here. Bad news comes up about some federally elected official, and the knee-jerk response it to try and shut down conversation about them by saying people are "obsessed" with them and they try to minimize their role.

We have a few hundred elected officials sitting in DC, they are all fair game, and deserve scrutiny for everything they do. A freshman congresswoman, the POTUS, and the average citizen are all expected to follow the laws outlined by our government, so its a very valid topic of conversation here.
No one is debating that they should follow the law, the argument is over the level of attention received.

Campaign violations can be serious, this is not one of those cases, in fact its not even close to the higher end of violations/fines for this year.

Sen. Perdue had a 30,000 dollar violation in April. Rep Spanos could hit the 100,000 mark.

If you genuinely believe what you just posted, then there are bigger fish to fry than Rep Omar. The fact that she is the one who gets brought up and not others shows that it is indeed an obsession with her, not the fact that you want to hold people accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2019, 11:51 AM
 
4,989 posts, read 2,006,789 times
Reputation: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So you are making a claim that the IRS has yet to make or open an investigation about, got it.
You keep throwing s**t against the wall hoping it will stick!

The IRS will open an investigation... the information is out, they can't ignore it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 11:52 AM
 
50,620 posts, read 26,709,379 times
Reputation: 15839
Then she should be censured and possibly criminally charged with a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 11:55 AM
 
2,857 posts, read 607,791 times
Reputation: 1816
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You understand that is true in Christianity too ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 11:58 AM
 
5,436 posts, read 2,011,458 times
Reputation: 6889
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Then she should be censured and possibly criminally charged with a crime.

The real "crime" is that Omar wears a hijab, the first congresswoman to do so. It's got the right-wingers completely triggered. They instantly equate a hijab with terrorism. That's why the RWNJ's have their knives out for her, they can't stand having any muslims in Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
You keep throwing s**t against the wall hoping it will stick!

The IRS will open an investigation... the information is out, they can't ignore it!
LOL you say out like it wasnt filed with the IRS in the first place LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Near Falls Lake
2,788 posts, read 1,913,564 times
Reputation: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You dont have to be married to file joint federal taxes. Im not sure about state taxes, but I also dont see that mentioned at all in the Minnesota link.
Near as I can tell, that statement is somewhat misleading. You either have to be married or have a common law marriage. I am not aware of any other exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 02:19 PM
 
450 posts, read 192,772 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Near as I can tell, that statement is somewhat misleading. You either have to be married or have a common law marriage. I am not aware of any other exceptions.
You're ABSOLUTELY correct. Omar filed jointly with someone who satisfied neither criterion.
https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/f...iling-jointly/

"dsjj251" has been twisting himself all out of shape in this thread trying to defend Omar's tax fraud and other illegalities. The fraud is NOT a matter of opinion. It's a FACT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 03:56 PM
Status: "\_(ツ)_/" (set 14 days ago)
 
11,383 posts, read 5,963,531 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No one is debating that they should follow the law, the argument is over the level of attention received.

Campaign violations can be serious, this is not one of those cases, in fact its not even close to the higher end of violations/fines for this year.

Sen. Perdue had a 30,000 dollar violation in April. Rep Spanos could hit the 100,000 mark.

If you genuinely believe what you just posted, then there are bigger fish to fry than Rep Omar. The fact that she is the one who gets brought up and not others shows that it is indeed an obsession with her, not the fact that you want to hold people accountable.
She has a history of questionable statements, this isn't an isolated event where shes done something questionable.

But the fact remains, people always try to shut down discussion here with the whole "you're obsessed" talking point, and its just a very weak attempt at stifling conversation because it looks bad for their team...rah rah, go team!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
She has a history of questionable statements, this isn't an isolated event where shes done something questionable.

But the fact remains, people always try to shut down discussion here with the whole "you're obsessed" talking point, and its just a very weak attempt at stifling conversation because it looks bad for their team...rah rah, go team!
I understand your argument. I simply disagree that this is that situation when we are talking about 4,000 dollars(including the fine) where the state actually tells them that refiling the paper work and proper labels would have prevented 2,700 of the listed grievances in the first place.

And when there are much worse examples out there including the President and the over 1 million he has to pay back/in fines.

In short, 2 wrongs dont make a right I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top