U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How far do you think we are from the end of cannabis prohibition?
5 years 19 35.19%
10-15 years 17 31.48%
15-30 years 7 12.96%
Never 11 20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 01:24 PM

4,894 posts, read 1,358,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
All this talk about republicans and evangelicals keeping it illegal is just wasted keystrokes. Money is the primary factor in keeping it illegal.

Public opinion could reach 90% and it wouldn't matter. It will remain illegal until we, the voters, start voting out prohibitionists. Once they get the message that their seat in congress is actually under threat because of their stance of marijuana prohibition, they will quickly POP (Pivot On Pot).

When it comes to ending The War on Drugs, public enemy #1 is money. The power of the vote is the only power in the universe strong enough to overcome the power of money. See post #7 for proof.
I'm not sure I can square that with the state by state legalization that has already occurred. I like to base my predictions of the future on my observations of the present. Were will it happen last? The bible belt clearly.

It's not really a matter of what the actual politicians want, I'm sure most of them could care less. As long as 35% or so of their base is against it for religious/ingrained reasons they will never do anything about it because it pisses off that base and the vast majority of the party that aren't that base don't give a crap either way.

There are vested money interests on both sides, as there is a ton of money to be made if legalization occurs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 01:28 PM

3,144 posts, read 883,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I'm not sure I can square that with the state by state legalization that has already occurred. Were will it happen last? The bible belt clearly.

There are vested money interests on both sides, as there is a ton of money to be made if legalization occurs as well.
The bolded sentence is irrelevant. You must not be aware of the intense corruption that is in play.

Kept illegal, the anti-pot lobbyists (including those representing big pharma and alcohol industries) lines the pockets of lawmakers DIRECTLY.

Once legalized, all that direct-to-corrupt-lawmaker lobbyist money goes away.

What's left after that is lots of collected tax money, which goes into state and local government tax accounts, not their pockets. So to lawmakers, tax windfalls are only a consolation prize. The main prize they will lose is a significant amount of under-the-table, tax-free "income" once they finally have to give in to the voters.

Always follow the money.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:29 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,095,428 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I can square that with the state by state legalization that has already occurred. Were will it happen last? The bible belt clearly.

I agree completely. The cannabis industry is a booming industry and there's a ton of money to be made of legalization. That doesn't make a difference though to the Christian Right.

They believe they are "protecting the children" and "saving the moral fabric of our society" by locking up "potheads." Meanwhile, they want everyone to believe they are for small government.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
The bolded sentence is irrelevant. You must not be aware of the intense corruption that is in play.

Kept illegal, the anti-pot lobbyists (including those representing big pharma and alcohol industries) lines the pockets of lawmakers DIRECTLY.

Once legalized, all that direct-to-corrupt-lawmaker lobbyist money goes away.

What's left after that is lots of collected tax money, which goes into state and local government tax accounts, not their pockets. So to lawmakers, tax windfalls are only a consolation prize. The main prize they will lose is a significant amount of "income" once they finally have to give in to the voters.

Always follow the money.
IDK in this case I look at the political make up/ideologies of the states that have actually done something about it. There is a pattern.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:30 PM

5,056 posts, read 1,381,776 times
How far are we from the end of cannabis prohibition in the US?

It'll pretty much happen when either

1.) Red-faced federal legislators quietly pass an omnibus spending bill or something that has a small statement inserted on Page 1,274 saying the Controlled Substances Act, passed in 1970 by Democrat majorities in both houses of Congress and signed by beleaguered President Nixon, was hereby repealed

or

2.) The Supreme Court finds that Congress has no Constitutional power to regulate medicines or other drugs, and that power is reserved to the States and lower govts.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
IDK in this case I look at the political make up/ideologies of the states that have actually done something about it. There is a pattern.
This. And look at who is still fighting against it.

We are still locking people up for cannabis because of the religious right and their false beliefs about the plant. It's that simple.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This. And look at who is still fighting against it.

We are still locking people up for cannabis because of the religious right and their false beliefs about the plant. It's that simple.
We are still locking people up because it is against the law. Preachers are not the keepers of our jail cells.

The law hasn't changed (in some states) because the voters have not gotten around to making it a priority (yet).

Oklahoma has broken said "pattern", and it is because of the vote, not because Oklahoma has suddenly turned liberal or agnostic.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Oklahoma has broken said "pattern", and it is because of the vote, not because Oklahoma has suddenly turned liberal or agnostic.
It would have never happened if it was up to this state's fundamentalist Baptist, holier-than-thou legislators. In fact, right after the state question passed, they tried to override the will of the people. Some legislators even wanted to abolish the initiative petition process out of fear that eventually recreational marijuana might end up on the ballot. In a bizarre turn of events, the state ended up with its current medical marijuana program which is great and should be an example to other states. It's pretty much luck though that things worked out the way they did here.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It would have never happened if it was up to this state's fundamentalist Baptist, holier-than-thou legislators. In fact, right after the state question passed, they tried to override the will of the people. Some legislators even wanted to abolish the initiative petition process out of fear that eventually recreational marijuana might end up on the ballot. In a bizarre turn of events, the state ended up with its current medical marijuana program which is great and should be an example to other states.
Exactly! Thank you for making my point. "Fundamentalist Baptist, holier-than-thou legislators" cannot hold up to the power of the vote. Neither can money.

Oklahoma should be the poster child for this issue, urging people in other states that are behind the curve to step up and use the power of the vote to help bring their state into the 21st century.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Exactly! Thank you for making my point. "Fundamentalist Baptist, holier-than-thou legislators" cannot hold up to the power of the vote. Neither can money.
So take the # of red states that have fully legalized and divide it by the total number of states that have legalized. Then take the # of blue states that have fully legalized and divide it by the total number of states that have legalized.

Those are your relative odds of the respective parties doing anything about it when they hold power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or