U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How far do you think we are from the end of cannabis prohibition?
5 years 19 35.19%
10-15 years 17 31.48%
15-30 years 7 12.96%
Never 11 20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 01:44 PM

5,065 posts, read 1,385,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
The law hasn't changed (in some states) because the voters have not gotten around to making it a priority (yet).
What's interesting is that the Fed govt doesn't have any constitutional power to regulate cannabis or any other drug. It has long usurped the power illegally from the states.

Now, when states are starting to make their own laws saying MJ is legal in their state, the Feds are running scared of any lawsuit that might find they have no power to regulate it, because of the likelihood the courts would find in favor of the states.

Do you have any idea how many cards making up the house of Federal Big Government, rest on similarly usurped power the Feds have no authority to exercise?

3/4 of Big Federal Government could start crashing down, if the Courts rule that lack of constitutional authority nullifies Federal laws that have none, starting with just one case (marijuana).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 01:45 PM

3,144 posts, read 885,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
So take the # of red states that have fully legalized and divide it by the total number of states that have legalized. Then take the # of blue states that have fully legalized and divide it by the total number of states that have legalized.

Those are your relative odds of the respective parties doing anything about it when they hold power.
You just can't see it, even though it is right under your nose.

That "power" cannot withstand the power of the vote!

Oklahoma should be the poster child for this issue, urging people in other states that are behind the curve to step up and use the power of the vote to help bring their state into the 21st century.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:50 PM

4,901 posts, read 1,361,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
You just can't see it, even though it is right under your nose.

That "power" cannot withstand the power of the vote!
That "power" i'm referring to is obtained by the vote so I'm not sure what you think I'm missing. Republicans will not do anything about it because fixing it pisses off a third of their base and the vast majority of the other 2 thirds don't care either way. The vocal minority of republicans who want legalization are a drop in the bucket.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:53 PM

3,415 posts, read 3,182,390 times
If I waited for Texas to legalize recreational marijuana I would be dead first. Thus the annual trip to Colorado. States that refuse to legalize it are losing substantial revenue.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:53 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,322 posts, read 14,041,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
While more and more states are legalizing medical and recreational marijuana, there's still a heavy stigma associated with the plant and there is fierce opposition to legalization among Republicans, especially the religious wing of the party. Most conservatives still believe that cannabis is a gateway drug and therefore should be prohibited to protect the moral fabric of society. They believe that by going after cannabis they can keep kids from "graduating" to harder drugs. They believe incorrect things about the plant, its dangers, and its intoxicating effects and those beliefs, true or not, are the basis for our public policy.

While this is still the dominant viewpoint in our country among our politicians, public opinion is evolving rather quickly in this issue. People are becoming more and more open to the idea of cannabis legalization. 62% of Americans favor total legalization of marijuana and over 90% favor medical.

However, the GOP and the religious right control our policy so the end of marijuana prohibition still seems like a pipe dream that will never happen. I think that will change once the mantle of power passes from baby boomers to Millennials.

I say we are probably about 5-10 years away from federal legalization and 20-30 years from legalization in the Bible Belt. It's coming though. I think the next time Democrats control all three branches of the government is when we'll see federal legalization.

Yes, I know Dems supported making it illegal in the first place but TODAY pretty much all opposition to legalization is from the GOP and evangelicals and that's what matters.

What about you? How far do you think we are from the end of cannabis prohibition?
1. its not just republicans...and not all republicans...many liberals (even on here @CD) are anti cannabis....and many democrats are still on board with the "gateway" meme

2. the democrats are the ones that made it illegal to begin with

3. I have been for making cannabis completely legal again...there are 1001 uses for cannabis OTHER THAN GETTING HIGH

4. you want to know what really sucks.... cannabis/hemp stocks is a great investment....and as a federal government worker with a clearance... I can lose my job and clearance if I invest in cannabis stocks...https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fo...ems-2019-03-11

Old 06-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
4. you want to know what really sucks.... cannabis/hemp stocks is a great investment....and as a federal government worker with a clearance... I can lose my job and clearance if I invest in cannabis stocks...https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fo...ems-2019-03-11
Heh been a few years since I had a clearance but that really sucks. I've made quite a bit on pot stocks over the past couple years and I expect them to explode should something ever be done about it federally.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
That "power" is obtained by the vote so I'm not sure what you think I'm missing.
What you are missing it that most red states (other than the reddest of all, Oklahoma) have voters who have not moved cannabis prohibition up high enough on their priority list (yet).

All these states already have a majority of voters who want to see medical marijuana legalized in their state. As more of them sees that the sky is indeed not falling in the legal states, they will start reordering their voting priority list.

It won't take very many prohibitionists getting voted out before the rest of them gets the message and POPs.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The vocal minority of republicans who want legalization are a drop in the bucket.
That is not true.

Cannabis legalization is one of the most bipartisan issues that exists. It is our corrupt, bought-off politicians that are not representing the will of the people.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:57 PM

5,185 posts, read 4,675,267 times
Quote:
3. I have been for making cannabis completely legal again...there are 1001 uses for cannabis OTHER THAN GETTING HIGH
Realistically aren't most cats just thinkin' 'bout one.

Quote:
....and as a federal government worker with a clearance...
WTF, based on your posts I would nevah have guessed.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
1. its not just republicans...and not all republicans...many liberals (even on here @CD) are anti cannabis....and many democrats are still on board with the "gateway" meme
The demographics are basically flipped with a large majority supporting legalization and a small minority still supporting prohibition.

Quote:
2. the democrats are the ones that made it illegal to begin with
Whoever did it then is not really relevant to who wants to undo it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or