U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How far do you think we are from the end of cannabis prohibition?
5 years 22 38.60%
10-15 years 17 29.82%
15-30 years 7 12.28%
Never 11 19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 03:13 PM

3,144 posts, read 887,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I disagree. I think money is why it will become legal faster.

Investors are already jumping headfirst into this industry big-time.

State governments are seeing how much money medical marijuana in their states (and legal marijuana in other states) is bringing in. It is a lot of money, and let's face it--this country is into extreme capitalism. States that really require money for infrastructure, education, health care, will be foaming at the mouth eager to legalize it. It is a state income stream that does NOT require increasing taxes. People pay the tax on weed voluntarily if it means they can legally buy it in their state (medical or recreational).
Tax revenues takes a back seat to our corrupt, bought-off politicians.

The day it becomes legal federally a large number of lawmakers will be taking a large, personal hit to their financial bottom line. They will delay that day's coming for as long as politically possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 03:18 PM

9,055 posts, read 4,127,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

The day it becomes legal federally a large number of lawmakers will be taking a large, personal hit to their financial bottom line. They will delay that day's coming as long as politically possible.
I don't deny that corruption is one of the factors at play.

I think ultimately though, politicians care about being re-elected first and foremost. If you are a GOP politician, to be re-elected you have to keep the religious right happy. Supporting cannabis legalization will not do that and any GOP politician who does is likely to get primaried, especially if they are in a highly evangelical state or district. Now there are exceptions to this but its the general rule. Also, there's no telling how much of the corruption you speak of is tied to the religious right. For instance, politicians can take money behind the scenes from the private prison industry and from Big Pharma while using religion as their cover for their draconian stance on cannabis.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:20 PM

22,329 posts, read 9,489,425 times
Quote:

The day it becomes legal federally a large number of lawmakers will be taking a large, personal hit to their financial bottom line. They will delay that day's coming for as long as politically possible.
I don't know what you mean. Why will lawmakers take a hit to their bottom line? Are they dealing?

Old 06-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Status: "I said God Bless the Coal Miners Union" (set 12 hours ago)

3,400 posts, read 593,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Republicans started the war on drugs (Nixon). I suppose when science and reason becomes relevant in the republican party again then they can help end the federal prohibition on it. At the very least they can reschedule it to something other than a schedule one substance. Thatís just absurd.
Inaccurate. The war on drugs began with the passage of the 1914 Harrison Act, signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson. Prior to that, marijuana was sold legally in pharmacies. Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know what you mean. Why will lawmakers take a hit to their bottom line? Are they dealing?
No, lobbyists representing several mega-industries (Big Pharma, alcohol, private prison, law enforcement, etc) are currently lining the pockets of our lawmakers, under the table. All of that tax-free money goes away once federal legalization happens.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:08 PM

22,329 posts, read 9,489,425 times
Quote:
No, lobbyists representing several mega-industries (Big Pharma, alcohol, private prison, law enforcement, etc) are currently lining the pockets of our lawmakers, under the table. All of that tax-free money goes away once federal legalization happens.
True, but they could easily be replaced by marijuana lobbyists. Marijuana is already being promoted and discussed in regard to investing in stock by establishment publications and media.

Even the weasel Desantis has been more than eager to open new grow fields, approve smokeable medical marijuana, opening it up in Florida. Legal marijuana garnered 58% of the vote when it was on the ballot (had to get 60%).

I think, like Prohibition, there will be an unstoppable cultural wave that will drown out the naysayers. People will smoke it anyhow--legal or not, and the profit motive will overcome the fear. John Boehner is almost an activist--he's a board member of Acreage Holdings, along with Bill Weld.

Also, there is currently a lot of opposition to lobbyists and lobbying, period, and there are bills in Congress that would prevent Congress members from becoming lobbyists, which is basically their career path right now. They may go the way of the dinosaurs when anyone actually gets serious about draining the swamp.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
True, but they could easily be replaced by marijuana lobbyists.
The multi-billion dollar Marijuana industry, as huge as it is, couldn't come close to matching the resources of the $Trillion dollar pharmaceutical industry alone, much less the combined resources of all the industries that have a vested interest in the continuation of marijuana prohibition.

Quote:
Also, there is currently a lot of opposition to lobbyists and lobbying, period, and there are bills in Congress that would prevent Congress members from becoming lobbyists, which is basically their career path right now. They may go the way of the dinosaurs when anyone actually gets serious about draining the swamp.
This type of lobbying isn't legal to begin with, so it isn't something that bills and laws from congress can control.

But the rest of your post I agree with.

You have something to look forward to. Like California, when it comes up for a vote again in Florida it will smash the 60% needed to pass. Finn is the only one I know in Florida who would vote against it.

Last edited by Raddo; 06-07-2019 at 04:35 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Status: "I said God Bless the Coal Miners Union" (set 12 hours ago)

3,400 posts, read 593,852 times
The problem with legalization of marijuana is that it has negative health effects, and with the growth of tax-funded health care, the taxpayers are now on the hook for those negative effects. It's no different from the immigration issue--the welfare state requires a paternalism state.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
The problem with legalization of marijuana is that it has negative health effects, and with the growth of tax-funded health care, the taxpayers are now on the hook for those negative effects. It's no different from the immigration issue--the welfare state requires a paternalism state.
I'm so very glad to hear this, as this information is very pertinent to me.

I am 62 and have been using it daily for 48 years. I need your expert opinion on what all my health problems are, so that I can go check myself into a hospital.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:04 PM

9,055 posts, read 4,127,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Why are Republicans so heavily against marijuana yet oppose any regulation on high-calorie food and drinks? After all, the GOP says we need nanny government to protect us from the demon weed. Why not from getting fat? If there's one health epidemic that threatens the viability of a national healthcare system it's obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or