U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 02:23 PM

3,674 posts, read 2,339,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I don't think the tariffs have cost me one penny.
I got an unscheduled big raise this week. CEO says it's because of the local wage escalation from all the new furniture manufacturing jobs that resulted from the tarriffs.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:26 PM

13,994 posts, read 10,949,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I don't think the tariffs have cost me one penny.
Maybe not yet, but I don't think Trump is done levying tariffs on everyone and their grandmother. When those nations push back harder and levy their own tariffs, what do you think will happen to US export businesses and the cost of all the imports - direct or indirectly baked into other products - that you buy?

You have probably become desensitized to the sheer volume of import goods you consume at a cheap price. The way it usually works with this stuff is that everyone heedlessly says it's all gravy and head in the clouds cuz it doesn't affect me...until one day you wake up to the latest retaliation that kicked in and realize that it does. Do that enough to lower/middle class people already on the edge without a lot of cushion, and what do you think will happen?

The point is that Trump is playing with fire...were he smart enough to know how to anticipate and not just act impulsively.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:22 PM

3,758 posts, read 1,814,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Maybe not yet, but I don't think Trump is done levying tariffs on everyone and their grandmother. When those nations push back harder and levy their own tariffs, what do you think will happen to US export businesses and the cost of all the imports - direct or indirectly baked into other products - that you buy?

You have probably become desensitized to the sheer volume of import goods you consume at a cheap price. The way it usually works with this stuff is that everyone heedlessly says it's all gravy and head in the clouds cuz it doesn't affect me...until one day you wake up to the latest retaliation that kicked in and realize that it does. Do that enough to lower/middle class people already on the edge without a lot of cushion, and what do you think will happen?

The point is that Trump is playing with fire...were he smart enough to know how to anticipate and not just act impulsively.
I know the country of origin of everything I buy.

It's not hard to pay a little attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies