U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 10:58 AM

11,060 posts, read 4,862,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
There's a difference between falling into the safety net, and deciding to have a baby when you're already down there.
Which is why universal birth control coverage is something I fully support. Paying for a woman's birth control pills is a hell of a lot less of a tax drain than paying for her kids that would otherwise result.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 06-08-2019 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 11:06 AM

66,449 posts, read 30,309,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Which is why universal birth control coverage is something I fully support. Paying for a woman's birth control pills is a hell of a lot less of a tax drain than paying for hee kids that would otherwise result.
The problem is, you can't make women (or men) use birth control. Certain demographic groups are much less likely to use birth control than others, even though they get it for free as part of their public assistance benefits. They are also the same groups that have the highest unwed birth rates and the highest public assistance program enrollment rates.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Having the government pay for births and then help financially pay for the children has drastically shifted the mating market place. Lower class women no longer choose to marry family men who will stick with them through the years. Instead they sexually select men based on factors such as muscularity, toughness, street credibility and having multiple tattoos.
It's not always all the woman's fault.

My sister-in-law tried to do it right. She was engaged to a man who came from a stable family, and he had a steady job as an auto mechanic. 5 months before their wedding date, they found out she was pregnant (they lived together, and he constantly talked about how he couldn't wait to be a dad).

Well, a month before the wedding, he left one day and never came back (fortunately for her, they only had a courthouse wedding planned). By then she was around 4 months pregnant.

Her dad hunted him down and when he finally got in touch with him, he demanded to know why he abandoned her a month before the wedding after he seemed so serious about her.

Apparently, he just realized one day that he didn't want to "tie himself down like that."

Thank goodness my husband's family is very close, because my SIL lives with her parents and they all raise the son together.

I couldn't even imagine being in her shoes and then being judged by society. And I'll be honest here, I judged her myself at first. I assumed she was just some former party girl before my husband told me her story. We try to do our best to be involved in our nephew's life and help her out if she's struggling with something.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:28 AM

6,982 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
This is what Democrats want. People to vote for them so they can steal and keep the checks coming.
You do realize that statistic tell us that there are more red states and Republicans on Medicaid, food stamps etc.
than there are blue states/Democrats. Blue states are more likely to be economically stable and help support the red states.If you don't believe me, look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Just imagine how many more there will be if all the Republican state abortion bans are allowed to remain law.
Exactly. They are demanding that babies be born, but then complaining about having to take care of them when they are born!!! You can't make this stuff up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The system will no longer be able to sustain itself though. It is mathmatically not possible for the country to sustain itself in a decade or two when a majority of children either had mothers poor enough that they were born on Medicaid and if the migration from the third-world continues that this rate.

https://www.mercatus.org/publication...curity-retiree

2 workers for every person on Social Security and half of those workers being today's Medicaid babies and migrants from third-world countries who likely won't pay much in the way of payroll tax to sustain SS and Medicare.

The trends in general look very bad in a decade.

Massive amounts of people retiring on SS and Medicare, massive amounts becoming disabled from obesity going on SSDI and Medicare, massive amounts of migrants with extremely high birth rates, a very large percentage of births being from women that qualify for Medicaid.
My, you paint a rosy picture for the future of America!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And yet all other of the leading developed counties can supply universal health care. No Canadian woman has to pay for having a child in a Canadian hospital.I am aware that doctors and hospital administration staff aren't as rich here but the US rate of infants dying during or right after birth is higher in the US than those with universal health care, including Cuba.

Or perhaps letting poor women dying or banning poor people from having families or even being able to have sex are your preferred solution to a relatively simple solution?
Exactly. Not only does every other Industrialized country have Universal health care, they spend less on Health care per
Capita than what we do here in the US...and they have better results, ratings and outcome than us!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Most parents with children covered by Medicaid are employed. I process childrenís medicaid applications at my countyís social services office.
I believe this.....most of the problem is that the Greedy Corporations no longer want to pay fair wages and give good benefits....they want to keep and hoard up all the money for themselves.
What we are doing is basically enabling corporate Welfare....and some people want to blame the poor people at the bottom slaving and working their butts off...instead of insisting corporations are more financially fair to their employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
LMAO well you canít have it both ways. You canít say Democrats want abortions and then also want many babies.
LOL, sure they can! They do it all the time here~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
People DO lose their income source, which often ends up qualifying them for Medicaid. I'm glad it is not part of my job to pass judgment on the people I am assisting in getting coverage.
This group you are responding too, just loves to pass judgement, they love it! And empathy and compassion is entirely
void in their vocabulary! And they claim they are Party of Jesus/God!!!! Give me a break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I want free stuff too.

Where do I sign up?

I also love the dystopia that is being created in LA. San Francisco and Seattle. I am sure you like that too.
It is way worse in the red states and out here in the rural areas of the south, trust me. Look at the statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Which is why universal birth control coverage is something I fully support. Paying for a woman's birth control pills is a hell of a lot less of a tax drain than paying for hee kids that would otherwise result.
You are making too much sense and being too reasonable, they'll never understand that reasoning.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The problem is, you can't make women (or men) use birth control. Certain demographic groups are much less likely to use birth control than others, even though they get it for free as part of their public assistance benefits. They are also the same groups that have the highest unwed birth rates and the highest public assistance program enrollment rates.
That's largely because people are lazy. That's why one of the best diet tips is to keep junk food out of easy reach, or ideally not in the house at all. It's a lot easier to polish off a bag of chips if you just have it right by your side than if you have to get up and go to the kitchen every time. And it's why grocery stores keep candy and trash magazines in the checkout line area. Impulse buys that people would generally not go out their way to look for.

Now to apply this to this context?

I think birth control pills should be coated in a delicious chocolate and then freely available everywhere. You know how some restaurants have a bowl of mints or chocolates? Exactly like that everywhere. Gas stations, cafes, the DMV, you name it. Maybe put some laxative in there so people don't eat 10 of them in one sitting lol.

I'm being facetious, but then again...

Old 06-08-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
You do realize that statistic tell us that there are more red states and Republicans on Medicaid, food stamps etc.
Nope. The data on that has already been posted. Here's the truth...

Percent of Public Assistance Program Recipients Who Identify as:

Democrat:

Public Housing: 81%
Medicaid: 74%
Food Stamps: 67%
Welfare or public assistance: 63%

Republican:

Public Housing: 12%
Medicaid: 16%
Food Stamps: 20%
Welfare or public assistance: 22%

Are Welfare Recipients Mostly Republican? Or Democrat?

Cites both the Maxwell School of of Citizenship and Public Affairs (syracuse.edu) and NPR as data sources.

And here's Pew Research, confirming the Maxwell School's Food Stamps data:

Who has Received Food Stamps, As a Percentage of Their Respective Populations - Pew Research

Old 06-08-2019, 11:48 AM

36,758 posts, read 16,356,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
than there are blue states/Democrats. Blue states are more likely to be economically stable and help support the red states.If you don't believe me, look it up.

Exactly. They are demanding that babies be born, but then complaining about having to take care of them when they are born!!! You can't make this stuff up!

My, you paint a rosy picture for the future of America!

Exactly. Not only does every other Industrialized country have Universal health care, they spend less on Health care per
Capita than what we do here in the US...and they have better results, ratings and outcome than us!!!!

I believe this.....most of the problem is that the Greedy Corporations no longer want to pay fair wages and give good benefits....they want to keep and hoard up all the money for themselves.
What we are doing is basically enabling corporate Welfare....and some people want to blame the poor people at the bottom slaving and working their butts off...instead of insisting corporations are more financially fair to their employees.

LOL, sure they can! They do it all the time here~~

This group you are responding too, just loves to pass judgement, they love it! And empathy and compassion is entirely
void in their vocabulary! And they claim they are Party of Jesus/God!!!! Give me a break!

It is way worse in the red states and out here in the rural areas of the south, trust me. Look at the statistics.

You are making too much sense and being too reasonable, they'll never understand that reasoning.
Why do you make claims and then tell others to look it up? It's up to those who make claims to back up their assertions.

Blacks have the highest rates of welfare percentage wise to their population numbers. What difference does it make what party a state favors?

I have to laugh at the view that just because pro-lifers disagree with abortion they should then be willing to support unwanted babies that are born. They are two different things. Being pro-life means opposing abortion which kills the unborn. They aren't likely to starve after they are born as there is always adoption where a family will care for them rather than the taxpayer or charitable organizations. I am an advocate for birth control which prevents both scenarios from happening. The pill has a 99% success rate if used properly and collectively birth control has a 95% success rate if used properly. I'd be willing to bet that most unwanted pregnancies occur due to not using birth control at all. Someone in here stated that 75% of abortions were done "just because" and birth control wasn't used.

Since you bring up the Bible and Christianity do you actually think that God approves of abortion in most cases?

Old 06-08-2019, 11:52 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

Since you bring up the Bible and Christianity do you actually think that God approves of abortion in most cases?
She told me She did.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:00 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,287,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I want free stuff too.

Where do I sign up?

I also love the dystopia that is being created in LA. San Francisco and Seattle. I am sure you like that too.
How do you figure that universal health care is free stuff but public schooos, roads and police are not? Do you get upset when police search for a missing child as he or she is getting free stuff?

The cost of my Heath care is part of my taxes as is the cost of schools. Or of the coast guard and yet I am a 12 hour drive to the coast and no kids.

Have no idea what you are referring to in Seattle and SF.

I have never once paid as much federal and provincial income tax as some of you are paying for health insurance. And I had a decent paying federal government job. Think about that those of you that think we are overtaxed and public servants are overpaid. My taxes have never exceeded some of your insurance costs and there is no copay and I don't lose my care if I get fired, quit or retire, n9r when I was self employed.

Perhaps rather than worrying about if illegals get medical treatment or if a poorer person has a baby, why does your health care cost so much and how do other countries manage to do so. Germany has an illegal immigrant problem, according to US news but they have universal health care.

Want to stop illegal immigration, stop hiring them. Was is that so difficult to understand. Being paid low rates or under the table, not being able to get the income taxes they paid refunded and being the scapegoat for all the ills of America is still better than remaining in their own country. Hiring them is luring them to your country.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
How do you figure that universal health care is free stuff but public schooos, roads and police are not? Do you get upset when police search for a missing child as he or she is getting free stuff?

The cost of my Heath care is part of my taxes as is the cost of schools. Or of the coast guard and yet I am a 12 hour drive to the coast and no kids.

Have no idea what you are referring to in Seattle and SF.

I have never once paid as much federal and provincial income tax as some of you are paying for health insurance. And I had a decent paying federal government job. Think about that those of you that think we are overtaxed and public servants are overpaid. My taxes have never exceeded some of your insurance costs and there is no copay and I don't lose my care if I get fired, quit or retire, n9r when I was self employed.

Perhaps rather than worrying about if illegals get medical treatment or if a poorer person has a baby, why does your health care cost so much and how do other countries manage to do so. Germany has an illegal immigrant problem, according to US news but they have universal health care.

Want to stop illegal immigration, stop hiring them. Was is that so difficult to understand. Being paid low rates or under the table, not being able to get the income taxes they paid refunded and being the scapegoat for all the ills of America is still better than remaining in their own country. Hiring them is luring them to your country.
Your examples are funded by flat rate local/state taxes that EVERYONE pays, rich and poor, alike. No exceptions. Fund the federal government and its services/benefits with a flat tax rate that EVERYONE pays, too, and your comparison would be valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or