U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:23 PM

66,447 posts, read 30,302,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Interesting my data says the exact opposite of yours.
You're making the usual mistake of thinking that states vote. They don't. People do. And people of various different political parties live in all 50 states. When it comes to affiliation by political party, those who identify as Democrats outnumber those who identify as Republicans as recipients of means-tested public assistance program benefits by more than 2 to 1.

Your post is the classic example of left-wing illogic.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-08-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 12:27 PM

6,977 posts, read 3,994,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nope. The data on that has already been posted. Here's the truth...

Percent of Public Assistance Program Recipients Who Identify as:

Democrat:

Public Housing: 81%
Medicaid: 74%
Food Stamps: 67%
Welfare or public assistance: 63%

Republican:

Public Housing: 12%
Medicaid: 16%
Food Stamps: 20%
Welfare or public assistance: 22%

Are Welfare Recipients Mostly Republican? Or Democrat?

Cites both the Maxwell School of of Citizenship and Public Affairs (syracuse.edu) and NPR as data sources.

And here's Pew Research, confirming the Maxwell School's Food Stamps data:

Who has Received Food Stamps, As a Percentage of Their Respective Populations - Pew Research
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why do you make claims and then tell others to look it up? It's up to those who make claims to back up their assertions.

Blacks have the highest rates of welfare percentage wise to their population numbers. What difference does it make what party a state favors?
Old Glory Kentucky is as red as red gets....we are always unfortunately one of the top welfare states....and it is mostly
white, rural folk that are the recipients....the same ones that voted for Trump.
I have included below many links which show Red states are the biggest user of Federal Funding, welfare, food stamps, etc.

Informed Consent....

Interesting my data says the exact opposite of yours.
Red States by a huge margin are more Dependent on Federal Funding. I live in red, red Kentucky
and I know we are always on the top of that list, unfortunately.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/
Quote:
As it turns out, it is red states that are overwhelmingly the Welfare Queen States. Yes, that's right. Red States the ones governed by folks who think government is too big and spending needs to be cut are a net drain on the economy, taking in more federal spending than they pay out in federal taxes. They talk a good game, but stick Blue States with the bill.

read the rest here:

Business Insider - Red States Are Welfare Queens
Federal Anti-Poverty Programs Primarily help the GOP Base -The Atlantic
Robbing Blue States to Pay Red - New York Times
Republican Tax Reform is Simply Red States Stealing from Blue states -Marketwatch

Quote:
The term "welfare" is especially unpopular in red states that vote Republican and support Trump. But when you think broadly about all forms of government assistance, these same red states are often the biggest beneficiaries.
If you include price supports for agriculture, subsidies for land management and forestry, and federal money flowing to defense contractors, you'll find that the economies of red states depend heavily on federal dollars.
But that's not even the biggest irony. It turns out residents of blue states send more tax money to Washington than they get back in federal help, while residents of red states send less money to Washington than they get back in federal help.

Chicago Tribune - How Blue states Help Red States
Quote:
Think Carefully Before cutting off subsidies To the Red States

They earn much less than they spend, and they're not even embarrassed about it. Others (richer, better educated, and more all-around dynamic) have to send their hard-earned money to Washington, while getting precious little back in return. But these folks? They gorge themselves on government benefits they take and take and take and then actually they have the cheek to complain about the system that keeps them in welfare dollars and Medicaid checks.
I am speaking, of course, of the red states.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-to-red-states
Quote:
The seven biggest deadbeat states who mooch off of taxpayers all vote Republican
https://www.politicususa.com/2015/01...epublican.html
Quote:
Red State Babylon
If the blue states are sinkholes of moral decay, as right-wing pundits insist, how come red states lead the nation in violent crime, divorce, illegitimacy, and incarceration, among other evils?
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2006...611?verso=true

Old 06-08-2019, 12:27 PM

36,758 posts, read 16,351,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
How do you figure that universal health care is free stuff but public schooos, roads and police are not? Do you get upset when police search for a missing child as he or she is getting free stuff?

The cost of my Heath care is part of my taxes as is the cost of schools. Or of the coast guard and yet I am a 12 hour drive to the coast and no kids.

Have no idea what you are referring to in Seattle and SF.

I have never once paid as much federal and provincial income tax as some of you are paying for health insurance. And I had a decent paying federal government job. Think about that those of you that think we are overtaxed and public servants are overpaid. My taxes have never exceeded some of your insurance costs and there is no copay and I don't lose my care if I get fired, quit or retire, n9r when I was self employed.

Perhaps rather than worrying about if illegals get medical treatment or if a poorer person has a baby, why does your health care cost so much and how do other countries manage to do so. Germany has an illegal immigrant problem, according to US news but they have universal health care.

Want to stop illegal immigration, stop hiring them. Was is that so difficult to understand. Being paid low rates or under the table, not being able to get the income taxes they paid refunded and being the scapegoat for all the ills of America is still better than remaining in their own country. Hiring them is luring them to your country.
So you are suggesting that we can control the employers who hire illegal aliens? We can just tell them to stop and they will? Congress needs to mandate e-verify across the board but hasn't. How will that stop the employers from paying them cash to work? Who's using illegal aliens as scapegoats for all of the ills of Americans? Exaggerate much? They aren't being lured here they come on their own and then seek work and they are just as guilty as those who hire them. I'm sure I'd be a lot happier living in Beverly Hills also but I can't just bust down a door and move in.

The real problem is our unsecured border. Stop them from getting into our country in the first place. Not all illegals are coming here to work either. Certainly criminals and terrorists aren't looking for jobs.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:31 PM

497 posts, read 84,804 times
Ah, no such thing as a black Democrat or Republican in the world outside of state and federal offices. Blacks and non-white Hispanics on government assistance out in civilian life really don't care about at all about government, laws, land, or way of life beyond what impacts them individually. And no, they won't assimilate. Isn't that the real problem most posters here have with them?

I keep wondering why people expect those they say as a group are subhuman, inherently violent, and lack the ability to succeed will somehow magically in great numbers become something they are not. It's all just taunting now. Not much more.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:36 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,339,366 times
Quote:
You're making the usual mistake of thinking that states vote. They don't. People do. And people of various different political parties live in all 50 states. When it comes to affiliation by political party, those who identify as Democrats outnumber those who identify as Republicans as recipients of means-tested public assistance program benefits by more than 2 to 1.

Your post is the classic example of left-wing illogic. No critical thinking skills.
Republicans tell us everybody, including blacks, will benefit from their policies. Yet in red States, blacks appear to be no better off than in blue states. Why is that?

Old 06-08-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Republicans tell us everybody, including blacks, will benefit from their policies. Yet in red States, blacks appear to be no better off than in blue states. Why is that?
Food for thought... Black exodus to the southern states for better opportunities, found in the 2010 census:

Quote:
"The percentage of the nation’s black population living in the South has hit its highest point in half a century, according to census data released Thursday, as younger and more educated black residents move out of declining cities in the Northeast and Midwest in search of better opportunities."
Many U.S. Blacks Moving to South, Reversing Trend - The New York Times

Additionally, the poverty rate is higher in large inner-cities than in rural areas.

INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH ON POVERTY University of Wisconsin

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 3225$sx2331$s.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:37 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,286,203 times
Quote:
Your examples are funded by flat rate local/state taxes that EVERYONE pays, rich and poor, alike. No exceptions. Fund the federal government and its services/benefits with a flat tax rate that EVERYONE pays, too, and your comparison would be valid.
That is not true. Much of the education tax is a mill rate. I own rental property and that cost is part of the rent I collect hence even the tenets on social assistance or low income ones pay for that flat rate. There are no provincial sales taxes and both federal and provincial taxes are set by your income. Health care is therefore paid according to ones income. The years I paid no taxes meant I paid nothing towards the cost of health care, the years I made good money I paid and now I am retired I am paying a little less. But the province pays for some of the education costs through income tax and grants cities funds to go towards policing and infrastructure.

So you are incorrect about everyone paying for those services, at least indirectly. I am sure that your poor or even the illegals pay rents and buy goods and services therefore they also pay towards roads and schools. And any income tax they pay goes towards the federal government coffers, just like you. But they cannot get refunds if they pay too much.

If there are sales taxes in your state then the poor and illegals pay into that or are they exempt?

Yes we have a different system than yours but also different from the UK, New Zealand, Germany and France.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:48 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,286,203 times
Quote:
So you are suggesting that we can control the employers who hire illegal aliens? We can just tell them to stop and they will? Congress needs to mandate e-verify across the board but hasn't. How will that stop the employers from paying them cash to work? Who's using illegal aliens as scapegoats for all of the ills of Americans? Exaggerate much? They aren't being lured here they come on their own and then seek work and they are just as guilty as those who hire them. I'm sure I'd be a lot happier living in Beverly Hills also but I can't just bust down a door and move in.

The real problem is our unsecured border. Stop them from getting into our country in the first place. Not all illegals are coming here to work either. Certainly criminals and terrorists aren't looking for jobs.
I
A lot of your illegal immigrants are those who overstay their visit. A "secured" border does not address that. And currently there are laws making illegal for a company to hire illegaos, but it is not enforced enough.

Do you think a person would make the trip from El Salvador, as an examole, if they didn't think they could earn a living in the States and a better life for their families?

Are those applying for refugee status also guilty of something? In Wikipedia, the origin of over one million illegals is Asia.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:50 PM

30,002 posts, read 16,591,924 times
Quote:

Yes. We can. Mandate E-verify. And don't blame it on Congress. Republicans have had YEARS to mandate E-verify but they won't

Trump doesn't want to **** off Big Ag either so he pretends a wall will solve the problem. It won't.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That is not true. Much of the education tax is a mill rate. I own rental property and that cost is part of the rent I collect hence even the tenets on social assistance or low income ones pay for that flat rate.
Yeah... That's known as a flat tax. EVERYONE pays the same tax rate.

Quote:
There are no provincial sales taxes and both federal and provincial taxes are set by your income.
In the US, local/state taxes pay for the local/state services you listed. With only a few exceptions, local and state taxes are flat rate taxes. EVERYONE pays the same tax rate.

Quote:
Health care is therefore paid according to ones income. The years I paid no taxes meant I paid nothing towards the cost of health care, the years I made good money I paid and now I am retired I am paying a little less. But the province pays for some of the education costs through income tax and grants cities funds to go towards policing and infrastructure.
Again, not always true. In many places, the local real estate tax funds the local schools, public roads, police, etc., and it's a flat rate tax that EVERYONE pays. That's why real estate taxes are so high in some areas (NJ and IL are the highest).

That's all I'm suggesting. Fund the federal government and federal government services/benefits the same way local and state government services are funded. Flat tax rate. EVERYONE pays a flat 15% tax rate (or whatever) on their income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or