Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:02 AM

1,323 posts, read 588,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
My rhetorical question was an extrapolation of a trend, to make it clear why increasing numbers of people dependent on social services will collapse society.

If a couple/woman is on Medicaid they should not be having children. Being on Medicaid means you cannot afford to pay for your own health care. And then they bring a new person into that situation, making it so much worse.

Your view on this topic is myopic, but understandable. Medicaid usage is complex and doesn't fit neatly into partisian stereotypes.

I've never been on Medicaid, both my husband and I have private insurance. When my son was born at 28 weeks, the full cost of his care amounted to $375,000, approx. My insurance didn't want to cover part of his treatment, about $100k. The hospital recommended reaching out to Social Security because my son could be covered if insurance refused payment, given his birth weight.

And they did. Swiftly and without issue. I could have gone into a long drawn out legal battle with Aetna, but given my condition and that of my premature son, I thought my attention would be better focused on my family.

(Also of note, 1 in 10 babies are born prematurely in this country. NICU's are expensive, so do the math.)

I don't know how much I've paid into the system over the years, but I know everyone who gets a paycheck pays into the system. Whether they are on Medicaid as their main healthcare insurer or whether Medicaid kicks in to save the day.

Lastly, my mother was a doctor who accepted Medicaid. It paid the LOWEST of any other insurance available and sought to cut excess spending whenever possible. You should focus your ire on Medicaid fraud and those that perpetrate it to the tune of billons annually.

"Collectively, the doctors, nurses, licensed medical professionals, health care company owners and others charged are accused of submitting a total of over $2 billion in fraudulent billings." That was from ONE set of investigations covering approximately 150 medical practitioners.

And this just a few months ago-

"Overall in 2018, the MFCUs banned 974 individuals or companies from Medicare and Medicaid eligibility, while collecting $859 million in Medicaid cash from providers. That works out to $2.92 in recovered money for every dollar spent on the units’ work, the OIG noted."

Imagine all the fraud that goes undiscovered...

But go ahead, blame the poor and prescribe to them your moral code. They always get the f*cking shaft, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 12:37 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
What’s wrong with immigrant babies and babies covered by Medicaid?
I hope this was sardonic

“Immigrant” babies are fine so long as the parents have legal status and are working.

But why on earth do you think it’s acceptable that people who can’t take care of themselves should be having babies? I would never even dream of having a child that I didn’t think I, and not the government, could FULLY provide for.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:10 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Just imagine how many more there will be if all the Republican state abortion bans are allowed to remain law.
This is why I am a pro-abortion Republican. I hate Medicaid funded births with a passion. My ideal Republican party would force women who plan on having Medicaid births and then go on food stamps, welfare etc to either have an abortion or put the baby up for adoption..keeping it would not be an option.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:18 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Having the government pay for births and then help financially pay for the children has drastically shifted the mating market place. Lower class women no longer choose to marry family men who will stick with them through the years. Instead they sexually select men based on factors such as muscularity, toughness, street credibility and having multiple tattoos.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:25 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
This is what Democrats want. People to vote for them so they can steal and keep the checks coming.
LMAO well you can’t have it both ways. You can’t say Democrats want abortions and then also want many babies.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:51 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Their parents don't pay for the services they use.

If everyone were on welfare and no one worked, what would happen to society,?
FYI, the income cap for qualifying for Medicaid is $17,237 for a household of one, so a person CAN work and still receive Medicaid.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Most parents with children covered by Medicaid are employed. I process children’s medicaid applications at my county’s social services office.
I work in a call center for the NYS Marketplace. I've learned more about health insurance in the several months I've been doing that job than I ever knew before.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
My rhetorical question was an extrapolation of a trend, to make it clear why increasing numbers of people dependent on social services will collapse society.

If a couple/woman is on Medicaid they should not be having children. Being on Medicaid means you cannot afford to pay for your own health care. And then they bring a new person into that situation, making it so much worse.
People DO lose their income source, which often ends up qualifying them for Medicaid. I'm glad it is not part of my job to pass judgment on the people I am assisting in getting coverage.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
You're being obtuse.

If everyone is on Medicaid, where will the tax revenue come from to pay for Medicaid? Because if people on Medicaid can afford to fund Medicaid on their own, why have Medicaid in the first place?

There is a tipping point, at which social services cannot be sustained because tax revenue is too low. We passed that point a while ago and are only keeping the plates spinning with deficit spending.

A place like Africa has next to zero social services because there is not enough tax revenue to fund them.

Poor people cannot help themselves. If they could they wouldn't be poor. They depend on the rich to pay for things. As the proportion of the poor rises, the rich are no longer able to pay for the needs of the poor and then the freebie services just stop.

Well, considering most of those rich don't pay their fair share due to the tax loopholes...

I live in NY, where Cuomo just got an over 6-figure raise! What was wrong with what he was making before??? That $$$ could been better put towards benefitting the citizens of this state.

See, THAT'S why the top countries in the world can afford a solid safety net for their citizenry, because they turn the majority of the taxes paid back to benefits like Universal Health Care, rather than the funds going to pay already overpaid politicians and other special interests. Norway's top income tax tier is 39% to the USA's 37%, plus we have a lot more people paying in (or who SHOULD be paying in), so if Norway can make it work, there is no reason why we can't.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:39 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
What’s wrong with immigrant babies and babies covered by Medicaid?
They grow up to pay little to nothing in federal taxes. So, they're an added burden. They not only don't financially support themselves, but they also don't contribute to funding benefits/services promised to others who paid into SS and Medicare for 40+ years. This will all implode as it's not financially sustainable. Open borders wreak irreversible societal damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies