U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 04:07 PM

10,724 posts, read 4,424,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The thread is about one guy claiming something and someone wanting to paint a much larger picture over that one guy. I did the same thing.
No, it's about noting the fact that America's leading progressive magazine is running articles which explicitly advocate for open borders, two in the past month and a half. That is a surprise to me. Up until now I've only seen that from libertarian extremists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 04:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 764,599 times
This is absurd. I canít think of a worse government policy than inviting in hundreds of millions of unskilled poor people. You think income inequality is bad now wait until our country is overrun by third world immigrants.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:17 PM

2,080 posts, read 764,599 times
Imagine what would happen if we just stopped enforcing our borders and immigration? There would be NGOs relocating millions of poor people from the Latin America, Middle East, sub-Saharan Africa. Have y’all ever look at the studies of how many people would migrate to the US if they could? CIS has estimates as high as 700 million people. We can’t control immigration now with Trump in office and a largely republican government.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Let me give you a dose of reality. In this world, there are lots of people, and each and every one of them has their own opinions on things. Some people, like Sovereign Citizens, believe they are "traveling" not driving, so they do not need a license plate or drivers license. Some people believe they can cheat on their wives and then pay their lovers off to keep them quiet.

Point is, we ALL have our opinions, so to quote one person, who does not reflect the view of most of us, is simply misleading and biased. Most of us DO NOT want completely open borders, that is insane, but neither do we want a walled in America where NO immigrant can enter. There has to be a happy medium.
lol... get a grip.

Nobody is claiming that all progressives support open borders, but a recent poll did show that a large minority, 46% if I remember correctly, of self-described liberals do favor "basically open borders" when given the choice between that and "border control".

Old 06-08-2019, 04:23 PM

2,854 posts, read 607,791 times
Caesar Chavez is rolling in his grave.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 288,549 times
So another communist writer at "The Nation" penned an article advocating the dismantling of capitalism by abolishing the family. That's right. They want to end the family to bring about a better world. That's how leftists think folks. I'm not sure if they are insane or stupid or both.

The fact these people have a platform to publish their nitwit ideas is a travesty. If it's bad for America and Americans, leftists and "The Nation" are all for it.

https://www.thenation.com/article/wa...sh-the-family/

Last edited by ncguy50; 06-08-2019 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Link added.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:29 PM

8,216 posts, read 2,430,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Open borders will do nothing for climate change.
You are usually on the mark, but not this time.

Open borders will do a LOT for climate change. It will make it worse.

By giving overpopulated countries an outlet for their excess numbers while removing an incentive to be more responsible, open borders increases the world's population, which obviously exacerbates AGW (if it's happening).

Old 06-08-2019, 04:32 PM

8,216 posts, read 2,430,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I recommend reading the article. The simplified interpretation by the OP does it no good. I suspect the OP read the title only and saw open borders in it so interpreted that to mean anyone to the left of him/her is for open borders. I think this topic may be above some peoples pay grade.
The OP didn't interpret it. What are you talking about?

Did he edit something out of his post after you responded?

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 06-08-2019 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 06:37 PM

4,416 posts, read 1,888,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post

Heck, I kinda doubt the OP even read the article. Or, this is a case of a simple mind being unable to understand a complex problem. Shrug.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post

No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or