U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 08:00 PM

18,796 posts, read 9,612,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
The only one praising communism is Trump.
Not true. Democrats from FDR to Bernie Sanders praised communism.

What Trump did was inexcusable and gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 10:07 PM

3,603 posts, read 1,554,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Your article is so intellectually dishonest that itís beyond repair.

According to the current corporate tax law, no company pays tax if not making a profit.

Every company listed in that article had a net profit of zero or less.

Please show me that one company with profit doesnít pay corporate tax.
you mean amazon or chevron isnt making profit?? Dont argue just for f s sake.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
you mean amazon or chevron isnt making profit?? Dont argue just for f s sake.
No. I said:
1. If a company is profitable or has net income, it would be paying taxes.
2. If a company doesn’t pay taxes, it’s because it’s not profitable or doesn’t have any net income.

Here you go for Amazon. Look under the line that says “income tax expense”. Amazon made $11 billion net income and paid 1.2 billion taxes.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AMZN/financials/

Old 06-09-2019, 06:55 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
Probably move toward the center.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:17 AM

501 posts, read 461,461 times
With the exception of a couple years under Truman where the Republicans controlled congress, and the and the 4 years Eisenhower was president, Democrats controlled both houses of congress and the presidency from 1933 to 1969.

From 1933 until 1995 they controlled the house for 54 of those 58 years, the senate for 48 of those 58, and the presidency for 30 of those 58.

Those were some of the best years America has ever seen.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:29 AM

8,929 posts, read 8,394,310 times
I won't address any of the paranoid fears the right wing warriors on this thread have thrown up, because they are all ludicrous. As we have a complex political process with input from many people, I could not predict with any accuracy what would happen if the democrats held all important government posts.

Here are the left wing results I would like to see however:

-party neutral redistricting throughout the country.
-Puerto Rico becomes a state.
-The 4th amendment (unreasonable search and seizure) becomes reinforced and we roll back police powers of surveillance
-universal health care
-equality for women and minorities in all areas. This would include full rights to abortion for women because they would have full bodily autonomy.
-reduction in military funding to pay for increase in education funding.
-capital gains taxed at the same rate as income.
-environmental protections are increased.
-churches will have to play by the same rules as other non-profits.

Right wing posters will find lots in my list to object to, but you should note that I have not called for mass arrests, nationalization of assets, confiscation of guns, or any type of groupthink to be enforced.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I won't address any of the paranoid fears the right wing warriors on this thread have thrown up, because they are all ludicrous. As we have a complex political process with input from many people, I could not predict with any accuracy what would happen if the democrats held all important government posts.

Here are the left wing results I would like to see however:

-party neutral redistricting throughout the country.
-Puerto Rico becomes a state.
-The 4th amendment (unreasonable search and seizure) becomes reinforced and we roll back police powers of surveillance
-universal health care
-equality for women and minorities in all areas. This would include full rights to abortion for women because they would have full bodily autonomy.
-reduction in military funding to pay for increase in education funding.
-capital gains taxed at the same rate as income.
-environmental protections are increased.
-churches will have to play by the same rules as other non-profits.

Right wing posters will find lots in my list to object to, but you should note that I have not called for mass arrests, nationalization of assets, confiscation of guns, or any type of groupthink to be enforced.
Please explain to me the moral justification for forcing other people at gunpoint to fund your health care and education.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:59 AM

17,608 posts, read 8,837,966 times
Quote:
Please explain to me the moral justification for forcing other people at gunpoint to fund your health care and education.
They want to FORCE things on people that are not Natural Rights yet want to take away the 1st Amendment and Second Amendment which are Natural Rights and specifically guaranteed in the Constitution. Madness.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They want to FORCE things on people that are not Natural Rights yet want to take away the 1st Amendment and Second Amendment which are Natural Rights and specifically guaranteed in the Constitution. Madness.
None of the Bill of Rights is a natural right. Itís just a list of privileges being Americans.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:04 AM

8,929 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Quote:
We share expenses on many things that are for the common good. Transportation, defense, electoral system, law enforcement, fire protection, etc. We can all complain about how things are done, or whether we support some portions of each category, but the reality is that we fund all of these things, and many others, through a system of taxation.

Education and health care are similarly a societal good. Our economy, and the growth thereof, is based upon technological innovation and advance, and to accomplish this we need educated individuals to push the boundaries and to maintain our current accomplishments.

If we have a nation of uneducated, diseased people it is a drag on the whole. Education and health care should be viewed as an investment, not an expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies