Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 01:40 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I don’t understand if whites are such racists and oppressors why are Nigerians succeeding and surpassing other ethic groups including whites
They did not grow up in the repressive, racist culture of America. That should be obvious. See how any human being can thrive.Hope that helps you understand.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:41 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You know how it is. White conservatives are always trying to pit us against some other group. Usually it’s Asians or Hispanics. Now it’s Nigerians. Please.

I’m not about to bite that hook. I couldn’t be happier about Nigerians having success. I’m never mad about another black person achieving a dream.
Thank you, I don’t understand this at all. I’m happy that Nigeria is getting praise on the POC forum that normally denigrates anyone that’s African but I disagree with putting down Black Americans as a result. The cultural impact of Black Americans Is untold. In fact most modern music essentially comes from threee origins Caribbean- Especially Jamaican culture, African American culture and White American culture. African Americans have invented or had major influence culturally in everything from clothing to music to rights of people. Rap is currently the biggest genre in the world Rock and Roll which was largely African American before Elvis and the Brits is and was one of the biggest genres in the world before. Even today from Thailand to Pakistan to Iran to China rap is used as a way to protest government. The cultural impact worldwide of a Tupac is more than any college degree will get you. Now that doesn’t mean college degrees are bad, I’m in university currently. But many people like to downplay African American culture even with the many positive influences it has had.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:47 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Asians and Hispanics already don't generally get along with blacks and vice versa. Whites could care less if those groups get along with each other. You should ask them why. My guess is they won't say "because of white conservatives."
Asians and Hispanics get along with blacks plenty fine. Their is a reason why many young Asian entertainers from Hasan Minhaj to Awkwafina from Crazy Rich Asians to Jeremy Lin to Ryan Higa all either support African Americans through using their slang, wearing Jordan’s and talking about problems in the African American community. The Hispanic and Asian community wouldn’t use so much slang and dress so similarly to styles that originated in the African American community if they didn’t get along.

The most Asian part of Houston is also some of the blackest parts of Houston. The Vietnamese community in NOLA is right next to the black community. Obviously their is some of the opposite as well but that has as much to do with good schools and wealth as it does with not getting along.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
They did not grow up in the repressive, racist culture of America. That should be obvious. See how any human being can thrive.Hope that helps you understand.
Nigeria has its own set of issues. There are issues with tribalism in Nigeria, and other African countries. However, I can say this about Nigerians. They aren't coming to the USA with the same mindset as American Blacks already living in the USA. In my opinion, there is something that Black Americans have to live with that Nigerians don't have to live with. Nigerians who come to this country, they choose to come here. The United States of America is a clean slate to them. They are seeing it through more positive eyes. Their narrative is that of Nigerian immigrants coming here because they see opportunities here.

For Black Americans, we're already here, and have been here since before America became a country. The way Blacks got here, it wasn't as immigrants seeking a better life. It wasn't as refugees looking for safety. The ancestors of Black Americans came in chains, shackled, kidnapped, stolen, broken, and under duress. The Black American narrative is different. Black Americans came here as slaves, literally classified as property and not humans. And then once slavery was over, there were other problems, overt discrimination, Jim Crow segregation, etc. It literally took Black Americans fighting back to get the rights they should have had in the first place. If anything, many Black Americans have succeeded in spite of any discrimination they might face.

There is a big difference between Nigerians immigrants, who choose to come here and see things in a more positive way, and Black Americans, who have seen the worst this country could throw at them.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:27 PM

12,958 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Its only American Blacks who remind racist and bigots of; slavery, lynching, Civil War, Affirmative Action, welfare, food stamps, rap music, Crips, Bloods, the black panthers, BLM, MLK Day, Obama,police shootings, OJ, Jack Johnson,...ect.,

The black skin of Nigerians, Dominicans, Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans, Brazilians, don't carry the same baggage as the black skin of an American with black skin in this country. The premise of this thread and many responses just proves that it is more than just black skin.

There is a movie that had a black character who faked a British accent in Jim Crow era south. Although fiction it seemed totally rational that a black person would do this to protect himself. Langston Hughes use to pretend he was Puerto Rican sometimes. He was in effect not taking off his blackness but taking off the American blackness. There are different brands of blackness I guess.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
This is just one personal story, so I know that it does not mean much at all, but:

About five or so years ago, I went to a mini-mart gas station in a small town. The person who worked the register was the blackest person I ever saw and had a very heavy accent which I assumed was African (not Jamaican). However, although it was obvious that English was not his original language, his speech was grammatically perfect, and he was one of the politest people I have ever encountered in that line of work, and he wore a long-sleeved dress shirt and tie! Again, this was a man who was working the equivalent of a 7-11 counter job.

Although this was five years ago, I walked away thinking that this is the kind of person who will not end up running a cash register for the rest of his life.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:55 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Nigeria has its own set of issues. There are issues with tribalism in Nigeria, and other African countries. However, I can say this about Nigerians. They aren't coming to the USA with the same mindset as American Blacks already living in the USA. In my opinion, there is something that Black Americans have to live with that Nigerians don't have to live with. Nigerians who come to this country, they choose to come here. The United States of America is a clean slate to them. They are seeing it through more positive eyes. Their narrative is that of Nigerian immigrants coming here because they see opportunities here.

For Black Americans, we're already here, and have been here since before America became a country. The way Blacks got here, it wasn't as immigrants seeking a better life. It wasn't as refugees looking for safety. The ancestors of Black Americans came in chains, shackled, kidnapped, stolen, broken, and under duress. The Black American narrative is different. Black Americans came here as slaves, literally classified as property and not humans. And then once slavery was over, there were other problems, overt discrimination, Jim Crow segregation, etc. It literally took Black Americans fighting back to get the rights they should have had in the first place. If anything, many Black Americans have succeeded in spite of any discrimination they might face.

There is a big difference between Nigerians immigrants, who choose to come here and see things in a more positive way, and Black Americans, who have seen the worst this country could throw at them.
You have no ties to slavery. None. Racism isn't a big issue. Abandoning children and living off of welfare is. A man that doesn't take care of his family can never be a man.
Slavery didn't make anyone do that. Your party that bought the poor and minority votes did that.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Damn never good enough is it. In the 90's we had an epidemic of teen pregnancy in the black community and low graduation rates. Now we have Black women graduating college instead of dropping out while pregnant and still its not enough.
Mountains of debt and getting degrees in fields that don't pay well isn't good enough. It's about not living off of welfare. It's about poverty.
2000 to 2017 the black poverty rate has been somewhat steady, going from 22 to 20 Percent

Quote:
White culture needs to change, your driving yourselves into the ground with these made up standards and ever increasing bar that no one can catch. I don't know about you but Ill take a English or history teacher over a Welfare queen any day.
Your bigotry needs to change. You don't care about welfare queens since you support a system that rewards those who do not work.

Quote:
No wonder white male suicide is so high, you never feel accomplished because there is always another white guy telling you, "Yea but did you....." You guys treat each other like crap and that anger spreads to others that had nothing to do with why your pissed.
Your bigotry is telling. It's not white males who, percentage wise, are committing the violent crimes and abandoning their children. Black on black crime is very high. Not that you care about the truth.
As if suicide rate is an indicator. lol

Old 06-11-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Do three things, finish high school, work fulltime, and wait until you're 21 to get married and have kids. Do just those 3 things and one has a 75% chance of being middle class or higher and less than a 5% chance of being permanently poor.

I don't see whitey forcing blacks to have kids out of wedlock. I dont see whitey stopping blacks from working fulltime. The last time whitey stopped blacks from entering school was over 50 years ago and that was done by George Wallace the democrat who would have won that parties nomination for President in 1972 except he was shot 2/3 of the way through his campaign.

Nigeria has one of the lowest rates of living with neither biological parent in the region at 8.1% for children under 15. Moreover, it has one of the highest rates of children living in households with both biological parents compared to other western African countries.

https://bettercarenetwork.org/sites/...DHS%202013.pdf

Hope that helps you understand the truth.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:00 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
True but in what fields? In business, engineering, computers percentage wise more men earn those. Women are into social services, psychology, education, language.
I' sorry, but this made me bust out laughing, the above, bolded, sounds as if that was written maybe just a few years post 60's. My degree was attained in the field of business, one of my sisters majored in the sciences and my niece is an engineer. So many other women close to me, family and friends tend to gravitate toward your aforementioned fields. Not that there's anything less meaningful, if not more so in the latter fields, of which you appear to think have lesser value. One of my other sisters whom I highly respected worked in the educational field, she overcame great obstacles to obtain her degree and would have likely gone on to do many great things for the youth of this society had she lived longer than her 38 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies