U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 12:11 AM

605 posts, read 465,450 times

Advertisements

The reason is obvious. It comes down to values and culture. White racism certainly exists, one only need read this forum to see that. But the success of Nigerians, Asians and many slave descended black Americans for that matter show that the racism isn't this impenetrable, omnipotent, undefeatable thing that black American commenters too often treat it as.

The problem is that internal discourse on black issues has been hijacked by an ideologically insular pack of far left idiots who just cant allow internal cultural criticism and continue to insist that black peoples fate is in someones hands other than their own.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 AM

3,507 posts, read 7,314,024 times
The problem with the thread's premise is that hypothetically speaking, if educated African Americans were to immigrate to countries where large amounts of other black natives reside, such as in Brazil or Latin America in general, I reckon the results would be similar to what Nigerians in America are experiencing. It wouldn't wipe away clean any racism or oppressions that Afro-Brazilians may face. To further drive my point, I can almost assure you that the 5,000+ African-American expats/immigrants currently living in Ghana and those that they have chosen Nigeria are all living the equivalent of middle class lifestyles or greater in those countries.

And just in case someone accuses me of trying to win the oppression olympics, I actually do believe we African Americans can achieve anything immigrants have obtain. The ancestors of my people just a generation or two post-slavery were doing just that and beyond, with the creation of the HBCUs, Black wall streets, and the first black millionaires.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:28 AM

50,623 posts, read 26,709,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
This reply requires no greater complexity than the following statement;

You will fail.
Then donít tell us that we have no ties to slavery. If you want to demand that we deny our historical ties to our slave ancestors, cut all ties to your ancestors first.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 AM

50,623 posts, read 26,709,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The problem with the thread's premise is that hypothetically speaking, if educated African Americans were to immigrate to countries where large amounts of other black natives reside, such as in Brazil or Latin America in general, I reckon the results would be similar to what Nigerians in America are experiencing. It wouldn't wipe away clean any racism or oppressions that Afro-Brazilians may face. To further drive my point, I can almost assure you that the 5,000+ African-American expats/immigrants currently living in Ghana and those that they have chosen Nigeria are all living the equivalent of middle class lifestyles or greater in those countries.

And just in case someone accuses me of trying to win the oppression olympics, I actually do believe we African Americans can achieve anything immigrants have obtain. The ancestors of my people just a generation or two post-slavery were doing just that and beyond, with the creation of the HBCUs, Black wall streets, and the first black millionaires.
Fact is that black immigrant experiences have NOTHING to do with the African American experience. If black immigrants are having success, we all know who kicked those doors down. They know it too.

Other than that, the Nigerian experience in America has no correlation to the African American experience. Nigerians have a language, a culture, and unbroken blood ties to who they are and where they come from. They aren’t emulating anyone else.

African Americans are PURELY an American creation. We wouldn’t exist without the existence of the Americas. We are African in blood only. We have no language, religion, culture or names of our own. The absurdity of my being a black man with an Irish last name is absurd as a Chinese man with a name like John Silverstein. It’s laughable. African Americans are in large part what white America WANTED us to be...a caricature of southern white Americans (as Tom Sowell has pointed out), except that white Americans don’t like the results now, even though what we have now was the best possible outcome considering what all led to what we presently have now.

I just laugh at the irony.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:51 AM

11,773 posts, read 9,378,886 times
Goodness this place has gone down hill.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 AM

1,411 posts, read 815,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Then donít tell us that we have no ties to slavery. If you want to demand that we deny our historical ties to our slave ancestors, cut all ties to your ancestors first.
I have told you nothing else, about nothing else. Maintain the ties you wish. I, and I can only speak for myself, would never the deny the atrocity of American slavery and, what has resulted, that, yes, we are still dealing with now.

My statement was only in response to your brief excerpt about getting rid of all white based societies;

You will fail.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:03 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,541,004 times
Quote:
The problem with the thread's premise is that hypothetically speaking, if educated African Americans were to immigrate to countries where large amounts of other black natives reside, such as in Brazil or Latin America in general, I reckon the results would be similar to what Nigerians in America are experiencing.
Well then, we should do a "price by price" comparison to figure this out.

How much money do educated people of African descent in Brazil make? Compare that to how much money educated people of African descent in America make.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:09 AM

8,096 posts, read 2,414,939 times
Quote:

Agreeing with the gist of this.

Agreeing particularly with the bold & what follows.

African American people should not have to leave the US to receive fair treatment, imho, that's the crux of the matter.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 AM

26,720 posts, read 11,214,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Hahaha @ ďyour crutch.Ē I am the first generation born in the U.S. Nice try.
It's not about what generation you are and it's not about you. Not even a nice try.

Quote:
That went right over your head. Their names indicate a direct tie to slavery. If not, the majority would carry African names. Thatís just common sense. Pay attention.
Names don't matter. To say it does is nothing more than poser garbage. Quit making things up to fit your twisted agenda.

Quote:
Look at you running from the discussion.
The only running and deflecting is you. You just repeated your garbage statement, " but it's a name" and you never once, not once in this ridiculous post addressed the facts that I presented. Make something else up.

Quote:
Your statement was that Black Americans have no ties to slavery. My response was that their ties to slavery are clear based on names alone, not to mention language.
And I pointed out how absurd it was. That you don't understand my response is proof you don't understand simple words. Talk about not understanding the language.
Quote:
Itís simple, obvious fact if you are literate. But rather than admit it, you are run to family structure. You canít refute the comment. Deal with it.
It's obvious that you made an absurd statement with nothing to back it up. It's that simple. But the name enslaves them. hahahahaha

Quote:
There you go again with your idiotic assumptions. What crutch do I have? My family just reached the US in the 70s and Iíve done quite well. However, it doesnít take a rocket scientist to see that some have had hundreds of years of oppression and disadvantage while others were given opportunities. Itís US history. Half of you are in denial though.
The only thing idiotic is your statement about names. Again, it's not about you. Slavery ended over 150 years ago.

Next time you address my post, don't ignore the facts I presented.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:00 AM

26,720 posts, read 11,214,406 times
Quote:
All African Americans have ties to slavery. It’s a tie that can’t be broken, and will NEVER be broken. We will always pay honor and respect to our Slave ancestors. And we do it now more than ever. We’re no longer ashamed of our slave past. We’re not gonna let whites attempt to break those ties.
hahahaha Make something else up. As if YOU speak for blacks. Most blacks are not racist. You have no ties to slavery, None. You weren't a slave so quit acting like you're special.

Quote:
First get rid of ALL the white based historical societies first. Until then, there’s nothing to talk about. We are the descendants of a proud Slave people...and we’ll proclaim that tie till eternity. It can’t be stopped.
hahahaha "white based historical societies first" as if that means anything. Make something else up.

You never addressed any truths in my post. Not one. Is that what "a proud person" does? Or is that what someone does who doesn't care about the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or