U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 08:05 AM

48,220 posts, read 45,519,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fact is that black immigrant experiences have NOTHING to do with the African American experience. If black immigrants are having success, we all know who kicked those doors down. They know it too.

Other than that, the Nigerian experience in America has no correlation to the African American experience. Nigerians have a language, a culture, and unbroken blood ties to who they are and where they come from. They arenít emulating anyone else.

African Americans are PURELY an American creation. We wouldnít exist without the existence of the Americas. We are African in blood only. We have no language, religion, culture or names of our own. The absurdity of my being a black man with an Irish last name is absurd as a Chinese man with a name like John Silverstein. Itís laughable. African Americans are in large part what white America WANTED us to be...a caricature of southern white Americans (as Tom Sowell has pointed out), except that white Americans donít like the results now, even though what we have now was the best possible outcome considering what all led to what we presently have now.

I just laugh at the irony.
I looked at this post and laughed. It's funny, but in a tragic way. This post has so much truth to it, it hurts. There is a big difference between being a Nigerian immigrant coming to this country by choice, and being Black American.

English is the official language. Its the language of business and school in Nigeria. There are also 500 other languages spoken there. A Nigerian will speak English, but will also speak Yoruba, Hausa, or Ibo in addition. Nigerian people know who they are, where they come from. The cultures in Nigeria are distinct. They have a sense of themselves. They might have went through colonialism, but they still know who they are.

Black Americans, on the hand, are here because of slavery. Everything we are comes from being here. You're right, we have African blood in us. And you're right that it's about all we share with Africans from Africa. Other than that, there is something else more maddening. Most of us don't know what tribes we came from. We don't know what languages our ancestors spoke. We have no sense of that. All we know is what's here in America. And it's not even the same thing as being a 4th generation Polish-American or Italian-American. At least an Italian-American or Polish-American might have a sense of what part of Italy or Poland his or her ancestors came from. Black Americans have basically been broken of that.

To sum up being Black America, it has involved being kidnapped, brought to the USA under duress, enslaved, dehumanized, denied basic rights, and most of all, it's involved being broken down. And Thomas Sowell, say what you will, he's right. Black Americans were basically socialized into the worst segments of American culture. Thomas Sowell talks about it in "Black Rednecks And White Liberals". The "hood rat" English one here's, listen to it closely. It sounds very similar to "redneck" English. Some of the terminology is different. However, 90% of Black Americans lived in the South up until 1910. Combine enslavement (and not being allowed to read or write), with the poverty that followed afterwards, it didn't create an ideal situation. The kind of culture many Blacks learned came from the underclass segment of southern culture. That culture eventually turned into hood rat culture. It's a destructive culture. It wasn't created in Africa. It was created right here in America.

This is just my opinion, my hypothesis: I get where immigrants from other countries, while still facing prejudice, aren't frowned on as much as Black Americans. If an immigrant behaves in a way that is considered unbecoming, it's looked at from these facets:
1) Said immigrant needs to be deported.
2) Stop bringing people from that country.
Or
3) Socialize that person and make said person become an American.

With Black Americans, you can't do that. We're already here. We're citizens thanks to the 13th Amendment. And the way we've been socialized, it took place under the worst possible circumstances. Black Americans are a reminder that America hasn't fully been the land of freedom and opportunity. Black Americans have more opportunities now, and have succeeded. However, no one has had a narrative quite like Black Americans. We're the only group that came to this country the way we did. And said narrative is among the strongest contradiction to America being the land of freedom and opportunity.

There are going to be someone or a few who are going to claim that I'm "playing the race card" or who might some "go back to Africa" comment. However, I won't find anyone who can fully refute this.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:43 AM

26,724 posts, read 11,225,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I looked at this post and laughed. It's funny, but in a tragic way. This post has so much truth to it, it hurts. There is a big difference between being a Nigerian immigrant coming to this country by choice, and being Black American.

English is the official language. Its the language of business and school in Nigeria. There are also 500 other languages spoken there. A Nigerian will speak English, but will also speak Yoruba, Hausa, or Ibo in addition. Nigerian people know who they are, where they come from. The cultures in Nigeria are distinct. They have a sense of themselves. They might have went through colonialism, but they still know who they are.

Black Americans, on the hand, are here because of slavery. Everything we are comes from being here. You're right, we have African blood in us. And you're right that it's about all we share with Africans from Africa. Other than that, there is something else more maddening. Most of us don't know what tribes we came from. We don't know what languages our ancestors spoke. We have no sense of that. All we know is what's here in America. And it's not even the same thing as being a 4th generation Polish-American or Italian-American. At least an Italian-American or Polish-American might have a sense of what part of Italy or Poland his or her ancestors came from. Black Americans have basically been broken of that.

To sum up being Black America, it has involved being kidnapped, brought to the USA under duress, enslaved, dehumanized, denied basic rights, and most of all, it's involved being broken down. And Thomas Sowell, say what you will, he's right. Black Americans were basically socialized into the worst segments of American culture. Thomas Sowell talks about it in "Black Rednecks And White Liberals". The "hood rat" English one here's, listen to it closely. It sounds very similar to "redneck" English. Some of the terminology is different. However, 90% of Black Americans lived in the South up until 1910. Combine enslavement (and not being allowed to read or write), with the poverty that followed afterwards, it didn't create an ideal situation. The kind of culture many Blacks learned came from the underclass segment of southern culture. That culture eventually turned into hood rat culture. It's a destructive culture. It wasn't created in Africa. It was created right here in America.

This is just my opinion, my hypothesis: I get where immigrants from other countries, while still facing prejudice, aren't frowned on as much as Black Americans. If an immigrant behaves in a way that is considered unbecoming, it's looked at from these facets:
1) Said immigrant needs to be deported.
2) Stop bringing people from that country.
Or
3) Socialize that person and make said person become an American.

With Black Americans, you can't do that. We're already here. We're citizens thanks to the 13th Amendment. And the way we've been socialized, it took place under the worst possible circumstances. Black Americans are a reminder that America hasn't fully been the land of freedom and opportunity. Black Americans have more opportunities now, and have succeeded. However, no one has had a narrative quite like Black Americans. We're the only group that came to this country the way we did. And said narrative is among the strongest contradiction to America being the land of freedom and opportunity.

There are going to be someone or a few who are going to claim that I'm "playing the race card" or who might some "go back to Africa" comment. However, I won't find anyone who can fully refute this.
Bolded to point out you don't care about the truth because you make things up.

Why did it take so long for racism to rear it's ugly head and cause blacks to abandon their children, depend on welfare, and commit crime at a rate much higher rate, more than other races?

I won't find anyone who can fully refute this.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agreeing with the gist of this.

Agreeing particularly with the bold & what follows.

African American people should not have to leave the US to receive fair treatment, imho, that's the crux of the matter.
I agree with you that Black Americans should not have to leave the USA to experience some kind of fairness. If this is the land of freedom and opportunity, then it should live up to that to the fullest.

Some Black Americans have left the USA and moved to some African countries. Ghana is big spot some have gone to. There have been mixed results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoxztGDp_Us

Old 06-12-2019, 09:38 AM

8,140 posts, read 7,647,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I' sorry, but this made me bust out laughing, the above, bolded, sounds as if that was written by someone lacking knowledge by thinking it's about themselves or someone I know. It's about the facts. They not teach YOU that?

article from August 7, 2017 (btw that's ~2 years ago vs ~50 years ago)
Women are into
social services 82% female
psychology 77% female
education 80% female
language 69% female

Table of the day: Bachelor's degrees by field and gender for the Class of 2015 - AEI

on top of that
"Male psychology graduates are more likely to be psychologists and managers; female psychology graduates are more likely to be social workers and counselors. Male sociology graduates tend to become managers and lawyers, whereas common careers for female sociology graduates are, again, social workers and counselors."

And though women make up almost 60 percent of undergraduate students on campuses nationwide, they are also 36 percent likelier not to be working after graduation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...ality-college/

It's about value and not about a degree. A degree can bring value (and debt). Do we need to get into a discussion about the plethora of individuals who graduate and can't get a job?

Working full time and raising a child is extremely hard for a single parent. Add going to school to that?
You are adorable, keep believing what your mind is made up to want to believe.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 AM

8,140 posts, read 7,647,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Let's call it what it is. If you have to constantly prove someone wrong, that show's what you're dealing with. The whole point of this thread was to complain about Black Americans.
I know, but if not for the hilarious post of the person I responded to, I wouldn't have given any more fuel to this nonsensical fire than needed. When someone causes me to spit my tea out from laughter, as that poster did, I just thought why not say a word or three for the fun of it. We know these folks who start such threads feel nothing but animosity towards us, it is why I so often stay away from encouraging them by engaging their simpleness. Most know they aren't interested in gaining knowledge, their only purpose is to entertain themselves and the like minded. I wonder what would happen if people just leave them to converse amongst themselves, let them pat each other on their backs for their stupidity and just see how many pages it will go on and on if no one of opposing thought engages them. I doubt we'll ever know, but, it's a nice thought. Either way, I won't respond to anything more any of them have to say on this thread, not worth it for any reason other than if I want to play into their mindless games.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:03 AM

3,509 posts, read 7,318,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well then, we should do a "price by price" comparison to figure this out.

How much money do educated people of African descent in Brazil make? Compare that to how much money educated people of African descent in America make.
Brazil is considered a middle-income country(not outright third world but not as developed as the US either), so the average educated Black Brazilians is still making less than African-Americans. The average white Brazilian is making less, too.

Brazil actually has a very high rate of black entrepreneurship, but still Afro-Brazilians, on average earn just 55% of the monthly income of white Brazilians. Typically, these black-owned businesses are one person, and blacks in the country have been institutionally shut out of building wealth due to lacking capital and access to credit.
https://qz.com/africa/1224485/black-...k-afro-brazil/

The point I was trying to make is, not to say that African-Americans would make more if we were to go to Brazil, but if you were to take just about any group, especially the educated, and put them in another country they would largely do better than many of the natives, especially the ones that were historically oppressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agreeing with the gist of this.

Agreeing particularly with the bold & what follows.

African American people should not have to leave the US to receive fair treatment, imho, that's the crux of the matter.
I'm an advocate of African-Americans establishing a presence in other countries, especially West and Central African countries. I acknowledge the abundance of opportunities currently present here, but it's not the end to be all. At the same time, we should maintain a presence here in the US, building wealth and perhaps not being so dependent on largely white institutions anymore. If it means that many of us have to return to what some of us were already doing 100 years ago to achieve prosperity as a whole, then so be it. Today, we're much less likely to get our establishments burned down compared to back then. Every other group are doing some form of that in their own way, and that may also explain some of their success.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I know, but if not for the hilarious post of the person I responded to, I wouldn't have given any more fuel to this nonsensical fire than needed. When someone causes me to spit my tea out from laughter, as that poster did, I just thought why not say a word or three for the fun of it. We know these folks who start such threads feel nothing but animosity towards us, it is why I so often stay away from encouraging them by engaging their simpleness. Most know they aren't interested in gaining knowledge, their only purpose is to entertain themselves and the like minded. I wonder what would happen if people just leave them to converse amongst themselves, let them pat each other on their backs for their stupidity and just see how many pages it will go on and on if no one of opposing thought engages them. I doubt we'll ever know, but, it's a nice thought. Either way, I won't respond to anything more any of them have to say on this thread, not worth it for any reason other than if I want to play into their mindless games.
Some things are more sad that funny. In my case, I like to try and expose their stupidity for what it is. Make said persons accountable. Let them know that some people just aren't into their bs. When you have individuals looking for backhanded ways to complain about Blacks, you know what said state of affairs that is. And when there are persons making stupid remarks, and then act like it's "normal", well, that just shows what it is.

Treating said persons like children can be funny. My idea is to embarrass said persons. Or make said persons accountable for what they say. And then there are some persons who are just not worth talking to. I've put some people on my "Ignore" list for a reason.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
This is your brain on leftism.
Wild guess, there are things that you don't want to hear, but cannot refute them.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Its only American Blacks who remind racist and bigots of; slavery, lynching, Civil War, Affirmative Action, welfare, food stamps, rap music, Crips, Bloods, the black panthers, BLM, MLK Day, Obama,police shootings, OJ, Jack Johnson,...ect.,

The black skin of Nigerians, Dominicans, Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans, Brazilians, don't carry the same baggage as the black skin of an American with black skin in this country. The premise of this thread and many responses just proves that it is more than just black skin.

There is a movie that had a black character who faked a British accent in Jim Crow era south. Although fiction it seemed totally rational that a black person would do this to protect himself. Langston Hughes use to pretend he was Puerto Rican sometimes. He was in effect not taking off his blackness but taking off the American blackness. There are different brands of blackness I guess.
Black Americans are the only group that arrived in America as captives, as slaves. It is only Black Americans who will remind America of slavery. Black Americans are only here because of slavery. Other groups have dealt with discrimination and racism on so many levels. The difference is how they came here and how Blacks came here. Other groups have gone through hard times. However, no one reminds bigots and racists of America's bigoted past the way Black Americans do. The way Black Americans got here, the reason they were brought here, and what happened after, that is a reminder. Black Americans weren't from being "valuable property" to people who were considered a pest, a burden, worthless.

A Nigerian coming to America is not a reminder of America's bigoted past. Neither is a Jamaican or a Kenyan. It is an American Black person who will remind bigots and racists of how America has contradicted its own motto of being the land of freedom and opportunity. It is indeed the legacy of slavery that is a big factor.

Funny you mention Langston Hughes pretending to be a Puerto Rican. A Black man by the name of John Roland Redd pretended to be Indian, from India. Being light-skinned and wrapping his head in a turban, he went under the name "Korla Pandit" and had success in a musical and television career. At one point, he pretended to be Mexican in Los Angeles and got a job in radio. Langston Hughes had his light skin tone to help him pass for Puerto Rican. I doubt someone who was darker could have gotten away with it.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:52 PM

9,443 posts, read 10,196,446 times
https://twitter.com/bbcafrica/status...713344?lang=en

Because this is what poor kids in Nigeria do instead of stare at their cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or