U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 01:10 PM

255 posts, read 35,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Black men have it alot worse. Black men are more likely to be unemployed than Black women. Black women might be looked down on. Some men (even some Black men) might view Black women as unattractive. However, Black women are more likely to get hired than Black men. Black men are the #1 demographic that watched their own unemployment rates rise between 2018-2019.

What is the suggested reason why that is so? Racism?

Old 06-20-2019, 01:11 PM

472 posts, read 83,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think the slave traders selected men for physical strength as they were intended to work on plantations.
Not sure what attributes women were selected for...

Yes, black people are more striking than other ethnic groups. But that is just a visual thing. If humans were blind, would racism against black people continue? I don't think so. People would not think in terms of looks, but they would distinguish people in terms of behavior towards them.
Those men were the ones who could not or would not fight back. In other words, weakest of the tribe. The women, of course, were taken to make more slaves as well as being domestic servants.

Yes, even blind humans can tell racial differences.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:14 PM

47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
What is the suggested reason why that is so? Racism?
Racial discrimination still occurs in the job market, so I wouldn't doubt it for a moment. Probably some job layoffs going on too.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:21 PM

21,374 posts, read 19,301,005 times
Quote:
Here you go:

https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpsee_e16.htm

For black women age 25 and over, the unemployment rate is basically on-par with white folks. A percentage point here and there, but not a chasm of difference.

There are more jobs in America than people to fill them right now. Wage and earnings gaps will close as women and black women gain critical mass in the higher earning fields (assuming they study high paying fields).
But that is only the unemployment rate. What I am asking is about the quality including income of jobs held by black women.

Interesting that the employment development from 2018 to 2019 is positive for black women, but negative for black men. Only black guys up to age 20 improved, older guys not. With women it is more or less the other way round. Strange...

Old 06-20-2019, 01:24 PM

21,374 posts, read 19,301,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Those men were the ones who could not or would not fight back. In other words, weakest of the tribe. The women, of course, were taken to make more slaves as well as being domestic servants.

Yes, even blind humans can tell racial differences.
Not fighting back has nothing to do with weakness. I assume they picked strong, but not very bright boys and men to begin with. A lot of black slaves already died on the passage from Africa, they were thrown overboard when they became ill.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:27 PM

806 posts, read 313,823 times
This seems like such a rhetorical question. Pretty much anybody can succeed in America if you simply pick a trade, master that trade and work hard. If Nigerians come in and put forth the effort, then good for them! More power to them.

At some point, you get tired of hearing about all the excuses for people's failures.

Life is full of challenges and hurdles to overcome. For all of us!!!! If you can't succeed in America, really it's on you and nobody else. PERIOD.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:58 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,873,596 times
Quote:
White America is not racist as a whole. America is not a "racist society," though like any place, there are racist people who live there.

In fact, white America (indeed, the "white western world") is less racist and provides more opportunities and equality for minorities than any country in the world where black or brown people are the majority.

So "white" people, "white supremacy," "whiteness," etc. are not real issues in 2019, no matter what left wing media will have you believe while ignoring the fact that "non-white" countries treat their minority populations like ****.

LOL on the bold. Just because it is not a "real issue" to you doesn't mean it is not to those of us who know it when we see it.

America actually is a racist society. And FWIW it is not just "white people" who engage in racism. While watching the reparations program on CSPAN with my husband we had a discussion about that fact as often black people (including him at times) claim that this sort of problem is only a "white people" phenomenon, when it isn't. I haven't fully finished watching it (watching it in parts) but the best speakers on the first half were Ta Nahesi Coates and Katrina Browne (a white woman). A majority of the white people I know well (meaning they are friends and family) they are not racist people. FWIW I keep the black and other racist at a distance in my personal life, same as the white racists because I consider them poisons, but those people with their poisonous beliefs IMO are a majority of the country's population and are representative of the American cultural adherence to the ideological system of white supremacy. Most people who say it doesn't exist usually don't know what it is.

But FWIW I do feel that in America that white Americans actually are "above" much of the Western world when it comes to a lessening of racist thoughts/beliefs/adherence to ideology. That is because our country is one of a few that has an historic, consistence, substantial "minority" population that was black in particular. And luckily a large amount of white Americans are what I consider "thinking" people and they can use their critical thinking skills to learn and understand and even empathize and sympathize with other people and see all people as a part of the human race, and so they have changed in a positive way in our country much more than other country's populations have in regards to racism against black people in particular. However, as noted, our country does have a racist society. Most people are too busy living their lives to pay attention to the racism. In my personal life I don't pay attention to it either until it is in my face, and unfortunately as a black woman who is in a lot of "white" spaces and "black" spaces, I see it a lot (for blacks it is often blacks against blacks along with blacks against white racism). It is sad and sickening to me when it rears its head. I do feel that black people have more of an experience with racism because it is a bigger part of our lives than white people who don't have much of a network outside of other white people. They may not ever come to witness some of their friends/family say or do anything racist because of their environment being so homogenous.

I remember one of my good friends and a former teacher shared with me on a Facebook post of all things (I post a lot of black history posts as black history is kind of my "thing") that when she took a job with the public school system that I grew up in as a teacher back in the 1970s, she never knew anyone in her family was a racist or had any racist beliefs until her dad, of all people, started speaking ill of black people and calling her students "little n**gers" to the point where she didn't even speak to him for years. She was shocked and stated when she stopped talking to him all the racist in her family seemed to crawl out of the woodworks and it was astonishing to her that she had grown up and never knew they had that sort of vitriol for black people (and Mexicans and even refugees from Vietnam as our area got a lot of Vietnamese refugees in the late 1970s and 1980s) until she started teaching and they started making racial comments about her students. She grew up in a small 99% white town and felt that they just never had an opportunity to really express their racism until she started at that school. I've had similar experiences with black family members who say racist things about white people and even Mexicans and xenophobic comments about Muslims are very pervasive amongst my extremely Christian family members so I could totally understand her experience. She is not a racist white person and we are friends outside of Facebook as well.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:00 PM

12,209 posts, read 6,942,598 times
I worked briefly with a Nigerian professional years ago. he was one of the smartest, most educated, competent colleagues I'd ever met. He despised black americans based on my observation of his treatment of them. I never asked him why. I wish I had, but he was 6 foot 5 inches tall and very intellectually and physically intimidating.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:02 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,427,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I worked briefly with a Nigerian professional years ago. he was one of the smartest, most educated, competent colleagues I'd ever met. He despised black americans based on my observation of his treatment of them. I never asked him why. I wish I had, but he was 6 foot 5 inches tall and very intellectually and physically intimidating.
Then he had a problem. There is no reason to despise an entire ethnic group.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:05 PM

12,209 posts, read 6,942,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Then he had a problem. There is no reason to despise an entire ethnic group.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or