U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-09-2019, 04:52 PM
 
4,495 posts, read 882,413 times
Reputation: 1902

Advertisements

Well, for some Nigerians, I would imagine those e-mail scams that some of them do might help.

 
Old 06-09-2019, 07:12 PM
 
19,050 posts, read 12,208,201 times
Reputation: 10449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I donít understand if whites are such racists and oppressors why are Nigerians succeeding and surpassing other ethic groups including whites in America .




https://www.chron.com/news/article/D...-S-1600808.php


Agreed-


Ever met any US citizen who came from Ghana? They are like black Asians- very pro education and family oriented.


As a result, they are successful as well.


Funny thing about hard working, educated people- they tend to succeed.
 
Old 06-09-2019, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Houston
22,517 posts, read 11,593,506 times
Reputation: 9079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's not just Nigerians, it's everyone.

Census Bureau data showed Haitians and Jamaicans were superior to American Blacks.

If you break down the Haitians and Jamaicans by demographic groups, like age, gender and educational level, some Haitian and Jamaican groups actually did better than Whites of the same group.

All African groups do better than American Blacks.

American Black culture is just totally toxic, and that's why they lag behind everyone.

Eventually, Hispanics will become the majority ethnic group and Asians will out-number American Blacks, but both of those groups will hold all the power and wealth, while American Blacks have none, because American Black culture is so toxic.

All those so-called "Black community leaders" haven't done squat, except enrich themselves.
We need to take a hard look at why the culture is so “toxic “. I start with Ogbu’s involuntary minorities theory b

Last edited by whogo; 06-09-2019 at 07:28 PM..
 
Old 06-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,289 posts, read 580,763 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's not just Nigerians, it's everyone.

Census Bureau data showed Haitians and Jamaicans were superior to American Blacks.

If you break down the Haitians and Jamaicans by demographic groups, like age, gender and educational level, some Haitian and Jamaican groups actually did better than Whites of the same group.

All African groups do better than American Blacks.

American Black culture is just totally toxic, and that's why they lag behind everyone.

Eventually, Hispanics will become the majority ethnic group and Asians will out-number American Blacks, but both of those groups will hold all the power and wealth, while American Blacks have none, because American Black culture is so toxic.

All those so-called "Black community leaders" haven't done squat, except enrich themselves.
Exactly, politics is downstream from culture. I'd be willing to bet that if we look at the successful groups, among black Americans, such as Nigerians, Haitians, and Jamaicans, all have a low rate of out-of-wedlock birth.
 
Old 06-09-2019, 07:21 PM
 
1,350 posts, read 588,357 times
Reputation: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
My theory is that people who immigrate legally are already pre-screened if you will for qualities that predict success: better educations, willingness to follow guidelines and regulations, and the patience and sacrifice required to do things "the right way."

Legal immigrants are generally more successful than the native-born for these reasons.
This hits the nail on the head.

Also, the premise of the OP is false. Most of White America is not racist. It's a small number of White Americans.
 
Old 06-09-2019, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Houston
22,517 posts, read 11,593,506 times
Reputation: 9079
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This hits the nail on the head.

Also, the premise of the OP is false. Most of White America is not racist. It's a small number of White Americans.
I think there is a significant percentage who might see the name Lateesha on a resume and throw it in the round file.
 
Old 06-09-2019, 07:35 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,289 posts, read 580,763 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I think there is a significant percentage who might see the name Lateesha on a resume and throw it in the round file.
From another thread:

Quote:
[A sociology prof] did a 'large-N' statistical study to try to determine how much impact racism has on holding back minorities from 'success in life.' He found that

Quote:
being Black or Latino had a statistically significant 2-to 3-point negative impact on median privilege on my 100-point-scale...This small but real amount of racism is unfair and unfortunate. However, I found that numerous other factors...come with decreased privilege far more than minority race does.
 
Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 PM
 
1,244 posts, read 709,696 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This hits the nail on the head.

Also, the premise of the OP is false. Most of White America is not racist. It's a small number of White Americans.

But there are still enough of them to make your life harder at times.
 
Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Houston
22,517 posts, read 11,593,506 times
Reputation: 9079
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
From another thread:
How do you measure the involuntary minority factors?

Without slavery and Jim Crow I doubt we would have the pathologies in urban black America.

Do you ever ask why we discuss race on this forum more than health care or social security.

The two big topics are immigration and race on this forum. Immigration is certainly race related.
 
Old 06-09-2019, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,292 posts, read 11,535,980 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's not just Nigerians, it's everyone.

Census Bureau data showed Haitians and Jamaicans were superior to American Blacks.

If you break down the Haitians and Jamaicans by demographic groups, like age, gender and educational level, some Haitian and Jamaican groups actually did better than Whites of the same group.

All African groups do better than American Blacks.

American Black culture is just totally toxic, and that's why they lag behind everyone.

Eventually, Hispanics will become the majority ethnic group and Asians will out-number American Blacks, but both of those groups will hold all the power and wealth, while American Blacks have none, because American Black culture is so toxic.

All those so-called "Black community leaders" haven't done squat, except enrich themselves.
Or as others have stated, the immigrants who make it here legally are usually the best of the best and tend to already have money saved up to get here and establish themselves.

I mean, if your argument was anywhere near true, Haitians and Jamaicans as a whole would be doing better than Black people in their own nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top