U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-11-2019, 12:34 AM
 
50,496 posts, read 26,677,010 times
Reputation: 15775

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Asians and Hispanics already don't generally get along with blacks and vice versa. Whites could care less if those groups get along with each other. You should ask them why. My guess is they won't say "because of white conservatives."
I Don’t know what you’re talking about. Sorry.

 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,556 posts, read 2,425,094 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Bullcrap- every failure needs any excuse. Successful people have no use for excuses.

As long as black America seeks to blame and rationalize failure, they are doomed. Those that realize they are individual human beings, not a part of the collective "black Americans", they can throw off their chains and get on with life.

Every individual is capable of living a productive, fruitful life unless you convince yourself otherwise. In America, blacks have so many advantages that others do not have, such as racial scholarships, quotas, affirmative action, preferential government contracts, ect...... The playing field has been more than leveled with all these advantages that poor whites do not have.

Time to stop making excuses and look forward, not backward. The past is gone.
It is a FACT that if it were not for the work of Black Americans, people like me and family would not have had the opportunity to come to this country and succeed.

People like you refuse to acknowledge the fact that Black Americans have made it through the type of adversity that has killed out entire cultures and they continue to make strides.

LOL...American blacks have advantages others don’t have? That’s bull. American blacks have had adversities the others have not faced. The majority of the US was not enslaved for hundreds of years and then kept under Jim Crow where education, home ownership, and other every day American opportunities were severely limited.

Racial scholarships are available to other minorities..

The biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action are WHITE WOMEN.

Poor whites have had far more opportunities than American blacks simply due to being white and not having the into endure hundreds of years of oppression. Nothing was stopping them from pulling themselves up from their bootstraps. It took only one generation for me and so many of my friends to become highly educated and stable in this country. Our families just got here. Many poor whites are lazy and have a huge sense of entitlement. The government has always made provisions for them because they were white. Welfare was made for them and was largely restricted to American blacks. Many poor whites still didn’t get themselves together even with the advantages given to them. Welfare only became an issue when it became available to other minorities. So spare me the sob story about poor whites.
 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,556 posts, read 2,425,094 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl_g View Post
you guys are missing the point with all this. Its americans of all races that are lazy but i guess that would mean looking within for our problems.

We complain about not having jobs or low pay but:

1) we don't want to re-locate "my family has lived and died here for... Years) no one cares anymore about small town america, move or suffer is the real message.

2) america is now a cash grab economy: "you come here to get rich", that is the mentality of many immigrants (not refugees or asylum seekers) from south america, africa, india and other parts of asia have.

3) no one is going to rebuild middle america: Immigrants know this, that is why so many move to the larger cities and not to small towns that could use new ideas and businesses, why you ask: See #2

4) assimilation is now seen as a negative by immigrant families and in some ways discouraged because we carry horrible consumerism habits that make little sense to others outside of america. We buy junk not stocks, we buy cars not bonds, we buy granite counter tops not life insurance.

This country is now a playground for capitalist, not a place to live while working a middle class job for 30 years and retiring, we sold that dream in the 60's and 70's. Politicians in middle america continue to lie about what is coming back when they know nothing is coming right now.
this!!!
 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:19 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,556 posts, read 2,425,094 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
America had nothing to do with the success of Nigerians living here. Why is it Americans are so quick to take responsibility for Africans and Asians who do well in America? They arrive here with the inspiration and motivation given to them from their own culture and that is what they hand down to their offspring. They warn their children about the dangers of Americanization. Poor Whites in the south will always be the best example of how access to education, land ownership, higher, wages and status than blacks, either doesn't account for much or can be easily squandered in America.
Excellent post. Completely agree.
 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,556 posts, read 2,425,094 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Asians and Hispanics already don't generally get along with blacks and vice versa. Whites could care less if those groups get along with each other. You should ask them why. My guess is they won't say "because of white conservatives."
And this means what? Asians and Hispanics don’t associate with Africans but do Africans care? Most Africans, especially Nigerians, do better than those groups anyway. Why should anyone care? I don’t whether any of those groups get along with me. Just get out of the way because I’m focused on getting ahead.

You people are focused on the wrong thing. LOL.
 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Texas
26,715 posts, read 11,205,600 times
Reputation: 6145
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Black people have been looked down on and hated from day one. And they have been at the bottom since the very moment this country got started. What else is new?
Not you using your blanket racism crutch for sure. What is new, over the last 30-40 years anyway, is the sky high percentages of blacks abandoning their kids. Over 70% of black children are raised in single parent families.
But I guess white people are making them do that.

The Nigerians that come over here legally are known for extended families. Generally speaking, the successful people have that in common
 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:31 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,219 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Reputation: 12961
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
America had nothing to do with the success of Nigerians living here. Why is it Americans are so quick to take responsibility for Africans and Asians who do well in America?
I disagree with that. Many immigrants are successful in the United States specifically because of the economic opportunities that exist in this country, which were developed by previous generations of Americans. There is a stronger correlation between educational attainment level and lifetime earnings in America than there is in probably any other country in the world.

African, Asian and other immigrant groups who become economically successful in America would not have become nearly as successful if they never left their home countries. That is precisely why they come to America.
 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 AM
 
3,316 posts, read 640,659 times
Reputation: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I Donít know what youíre talking about. Sorry.
I can't speak about Latinos, but the black people in my mother's old NYC neighborhood got very angry when Koreans moved in and opened dry cleaners and little Mom and Pop stores. Store windows were constantly smashed, fights broke out, that type of thing. It was like West Side Story, between blacks and Koreans.

This was mostly in the 1950s.
 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,556 posts, read 2,425,094 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Not you using your blanket racism crutch for sure. What is new, over the last 30-40 years anyway, is the sky high percentages of blacks abandoning their kids. Over 70% of black children are raised in single parent families.
But I guess white people are making them do that.

The Nigerians that come over here legally are known for extended families. Generally speaking, the successful people have that in common
Actually whatís new is black women earning bachelors degrees at a higher rate than any other group. Education levels among black people in general are increasing.

Quote:
Across all racial/ethnic groups, female students earned the majority of certificates, associateís degrees, and bachelorís degrees. For example, the shares of bachelorís degrees earned by female students were 64 percent for Black students, 61 percent for American Indian/Alaska Native students, 60 percent for Hispanic students, 59 percent for students of Two or more races, 56 percent for White students, and 54 percent for Asian/Pacific Islander students.
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=72
 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:48 AM
 
9,419 posts, read 10,181,013 times
Reputation: 7175
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I disagree with that. Many immigrants are successful in the United States specifically because of the economic opportunities that exist in this country, which were developed by previous generations of Americans. There is a stronger correlation between educational attainment level and lifetime earnings in America than there is in probably any other country in the world.

African, Asian and other immigrant groups who become economically successful in America would not have become nearly as successful if they never left their home countries. That is precisely why they come to America.


https://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/u...wer-rungs.html


But many researchers have reached a conclusion that turns conventional wisdom on its head: Americans enjoy less economic mobility than their peers in Canada and much of Western Europe.



At least five large studies in recent years have found the United States to be less mobile than comparable nations. A project led by Markus Jantti, an economist at a Swedish university, found that 42 percent of American men raised in the bottom fifth of incomes stay there as adults. That shows a level of persistent disadvantage much higher than in Denmark (25 percent) and Britain (30 percent) — a country famous for its class constraints.



Leaving a foreign country to come to America probably involves a modicum of success in an of itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top