Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 09:20 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Excellent post. Completely agree.
My Chinese parents also warned me about the "dangers of Americanization" growing up similar to Africans etc and it can be problematic. A lot of times being gay or lesbian is lumped in with "Americanization" for example.

There's good and bad "Americanization" and sometimes people don't know how to advise their kids about the difference. There are a lot of advantages that American culture has such as being active in politics as well as building your own business.

It's pretty offensive to label African American culture as related to being a bum in contrast to "hard working immigrants culture".

Old 06-11-2019, 09:22 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
And this means what? Asians and Hispanics don’t associate with Africans but do Africans care? Most Africans, especially Nigerians, do better than those groups anyway. Why should anyone care? I don’t whether any of those groups get along with me. Just get out of the way because I’m focused on getting ahead.

You people are focused on the wrong thing. LOL.
Let's call it what it is. This is basically another way to vent frustration and resentment towards Black Americans. This is why Asians and Hispanics were brought up. This is part of why this thread was made. There are people here who have a strong resentment towards Black Americans. Rather than just say "I don't like Black Americans" or "I resent Black Americans", some people look for backhanded ways to vent.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I can't speak about Latinos, but the black people in my mother's old NYC neighborhood got very angry when Koreans moved in and opened dry cleaners and little Mom and Pop stores. Store windows were constantly smashed, fights broke out, that type of thing. It was like West Side Story, between blacks and Koreans.

This was mostly in the 1950s.
That was a long time ago.

Where my parents grew up, blacks owned all the businesses in the neighborhood, so I can’t really relate. I grew up in a mostly white city and neighborhood...they didn’t own most of the mom and pop stores either. Arabs, Indians and East Asians did.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:23 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Actually what’s new is black women earning bachelors degrees at a higher rate than any other group. Education levels among black people in general are increasing.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=72
True but in what fields? In business, engineering, computers percentage wise more men earn those. Women are into social services, psychology, education, language.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
You guys are missing the point with all this. Its Americans of all races that are lazy but I guess that would mean looking within for our problems.

We complain about not having jobs or low pay but:

1) We don't want to re-locate "My family has lived and died here for... years) no one cares anymore about small town America, Move or suffer is the real message.

2) America is now a cash grab economy: "You come here to get rich", that is the mentality of many immigrants (not refugees or asylum seekers) from South America, Africa, India and other parts of Asia have.

3) No one is going to rebuild middle America: Immigrants know this, that is why so many move to the larger cities and not to small towns that could use new ideas and businesses, why you ask: See #2

4) Assimilation is now seen as a negative by immigrant families and in some ways discouraged because we carry horrible consumerism habits that make little sense to others outside of America. We buy junk not stocks, we buy cars not bonds, we buy granite counter tops not life insurance.

This country is now a playground for capitalist, not a place to live while working a middle class job for 30 years and retiring, we sold that dream in the 60's and 70's. Politicians in middle America continue to lie about what is coming back when they know nothing is coming right now.

On the blue - I'll just note that black Americans have always been the demographic who moves the most in the US. The whole Great Migration was about that and the "Reverse" Great Migration currently taking place. Black Americans have been on the move prior to the 20th century and through the 21st century.

I'll note that I think #4 is a detriment to black Americans as well in regards to our culture. Contrary to what many believe, not all black people in the 20th century wanted to integrate into white American mainstream. They also saw assimilation into mainstream American culture as a negative. I personally also view it as a negative on a variety fronts in regards to our historic African American tradition. This is especially the case IMO in regards to mental health issues that are rising in black America that were/are more common for whites (like suicide). IMO these are directly related to black people trying to be more mainstream and those of my parent's generation seeking to integrate into mainstream culture for whatever reason (and note many had positive aims/goals) and inadertently making young black Americans today less knowledgeable of and aware of our historic traditions and how certain things were - going to be honest - seen as stuff that white people do and not us. Stuff like commit suicide at high rates or put your elders into nursing homes or care more about your individual self versus your family/community.

IMO immigrant communities and black Americans have a lot in common in regards to culture and both segments face negatives with "making it" into the mainstream.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:10 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Let's call it what it is. This is basically another way to vent frustration and resentment towards Black Americans. This is why Asians and Hispanics were brought up. This is part of why this thread was made. There are people here who have a strong resentment towards Black Americans. Rather than just say "I don't like Black Americans" or "I resent Black Americans", some people look for backhanded ways to vent.
If you are able to read minds, you know you could really monetize that....

Old 06-11-2019, 01:18 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
True but in what fields? In business, engineering, computers percentage wise more men earn those. Women are into social services, psychology, education, language.
Damn never good enough is it. In the 90's we had an epidemic of teen pregnancy in the black community and low graduation rates. Now we have Black women graduating college instead of dropping out while pregnant and still its not enough.

White culture needs to change, your driving yourselves into the ground with these made up standards and ever increasing bar that no one can catch. I don't know about you but Ill take a English or history teacher over a Welfare queen any day.

No wonder white male suicide is so high, you never feel accomplished because there is always another white guy telling you, "Yea but did you....." You guys treat each other like crap and that anger spreads to others that had nothing to do with why your pissed.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:23 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
If you are able to read minds, you know you could really monetize that....
It has nothing to do with reading minds. This has everything to do with things I've experience, things I've been around.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Refugees are different from the typical immigrant.

I doubt there actually are any stone age villages in Vietnam. Civilization is very old in the part of the world. They've been farming rice there for 4000 years and using iron tools for more than 2000.

https://quatr.us/southeast-asia/history-of-vietnam.htm
You still act like Nigeria’s culture isn’t ancient as they have also been using iron tools for more than 2,000 years and had a trade network with Ancient Egypt and Nubia yet you rate Vietnam? I would say both are great but because you’ve been brainwashed by IQ “scientists” you believe such a thing couldn’t exist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl...ory_of_Nigeria

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture

https://africa.uima.uiowa.edu/peoples/show/Yoruba

Old 06-11-2019, 01:31 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Because they are genetically and culturally different. Most don't even want to be associated with american blacks.
We are genetically very similar about 30% of African Americans genes come from various parts of Southern Nigeria mainly the Yoruba. 80% of Nigerian immigrants are from two Southern Nigerian groups, the Igbo and and Yoruba, and 90% of immigrants are from Southern Nigeria period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies