U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 11:23 AM

10,588 posts, read 2,705,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
That is horrible, and the photo is disturbing.

Yet one more example of upright citizens that would have benefited from concealed carry.
Not sure how someone carrying would have helped here, as it didnt appear the intent was deadly, the victims were beat up, had nose broken, but thats a far cry from actually being in fear for your life.

This sounds like cruel teenagers to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 11:25 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,429,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not sure how someone carrying would have helped here, as it didnt appear the intent was deadly, the victims were beat up, had nose broken, but thats a far cry from actually being in fear for your life.

Gun issue aside.....When a stranger attacks you and is breaking your bones, do you think you can accurately assess whether their intent is "deadly" or not?

Old 06-09-2019, 11:34 AM

1,345 posts, read 470,057 times
Quote:

Wow.

Just, WOW.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:21 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In fairness, there is indeed a conspiracy in many of these cases. I cannot speak for the Brits but in the US, possibly because for a long time our press was constantly pushing minority crime which created unfair perceptions, there is a swing the other way.

We had a thread about this a year or two ago after a mob of young people attacked and robbed people on BART (I think) out around LA or San Fran and despite not having the youths identified they refused to release the video and cited "not wanting to incite stereotypes".

If you'd like another example, you know about the white ladies that did racist stuff like call the cops on a BBQ, but hey...you probably didn't know about the serial killer in Kansas City that was targeting white men >50 out walking?

So yeah, call it what you want I suppose but there is a definite organized bias in some media. (Just like if an illegal commits a bad crime you know it's going to be on FOX)

For a third example, CNN ran a very good article on the murder of trans men a month ago. They mentioned that it was especially black trans men that were ending up being murdered and cited the arrest of one preacher for the crime and showed his picture. All kinds of statistics on the attacks on trans men so um, wouldn't you expect some info on whom is attacking them? I sure did but nope, that glaring piece of information was left out and anybody that knows about that shameful overall situation knows whom those murders and assaults are being overwhelmingly committed by. However for those that didn't know CNN swept that right under the rug.
The recent Virginia Beach shooting was all over the news for a few hours. Around the same time that the shooter was identified as a black man, it fell to almost zero coverage. Within a day, it wasn't on the front page anymore. 12 people died - in other circumstances, it would have been a major news story for days, and would have caused a flood of op-ed's and articles reminding everyone that this is a "white male problem." But, because it didn't fit the narrative that is selling these days, it wasn't given anything close to the coverage that it should or would have been given.

A few years ago during the height of the BLM movement in the mainstream, the media was ignoring instances of the police shooting black women, latinos, and other minorities, because at the time the narrative that had struck a nerve and gained traction was "police officers shoot black men." Anything that fell outside that, even if it was directly related, was blacked out.

On the one hand, I think it's good that there is increased public attention being given to cases of injustice, but on the other, when it becomes more clear that it's just the for-profit media pushing what sells for the sake of ratings and money, it seems crass.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:18 AM

11,200 posts, read 6,514,988 times
Probably muslim since they won’t release the identity of the 18 year old.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 AM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Probably muslim since they won’t release the identity of the 18 year old.
I'm giving it a little time more since I don't know how they do things over there.

Possibly misreported the 18 year olds age or perhaps they cannot release identity until charged etc.

I'd think at least ONE news source (if allowed) would release the attackers identity, especially since it was just pride week etc.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,637,504 times
Quote:

Yet one more example of upright citizens that would have benefited from concealed carry.
No thanks - we don't want 30,000+ people shot to death every year here.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:47 AM

14,307 posts, read 15,136,003 times
Quote:

Yup, just a few ne'er-do-wells up to their usual hijinks. Kids these days. What are you gonna do?

Old 06-10-2019, 07:48 AM

4,252 posts, read 2,089,260 times
Quote:

An unskilled marksman could do far more damage in this case.

"Well just shoot up in here amongst us. One of us got to have some relief."--Jerry Clower, Yazoo City, Mississippi

Old 06-10-2019, 07:50 AM

14,307 posts, read 15,136,003 times
Quote:
Chuckity;.......And why wasn't there EVER a description of the attackers (even in the victim's facebook post) except for their accent?
That's very disturbing that that's all the victim wanted to offer up. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or