U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 AM
 
29,476 posts, read 15,451,178 times
Reputation: 20019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Not true. They are not reported because most of the time no shots are fired as the perp runs away at the sight of a gun. If there is a reportable incident, the Media often omits the story.
So, you agree with the poster and believe there would be a large amount of people going out with the agenda to shoot people who look like potential attackers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2019, 09:00 AM
 
12,119 posts, read 6,694,805 times
Reputation: 12964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
something seems amiss in London, this was a fairly heinous crime; yet all 5 suspects were released on bail in less than 24 hrs...

Suspects out on bail after attack on lesbian couple on London bus
So they are just walking around. Someone should just leak the info who they are. I'm tired of dangerous little thugs being protected because of their age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
11,638 posts, read 3,985,051 times
Reputation: 7232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
something seems amiss in London, this was a fairly heinous crime; yet all 5 suspects were released on bail in less than 24 hrs...

Suspects out on bail after attack on lesbian couple on London bus
Bail comes with a list of specific conditions, and may include attending the police station reguarly, as well as restrictions on movements, contacting each other or anyone involved in the case, use of social media, curfews and numerous other such restrictions including surrendering your passport. Any breaking of bail conditions will result in a person being 'Remanded' in Custody.

The police have granted bail because they are satisfied that you will turn up for the hearing, that you have no previous serious convictions and they don't believe you will carry out further crime if released on bail.

The case will go to the Magistrates Court in July, who will decide on bail in relation to the Crown Court Case, which will be held at a later date in front of a Jury.

The offence whilst serious, is Section 20 GBH, the lesser GBH offence which carries a maximum sentence of 5 years, there are also aggrevated circumstances which may lead to a onger sentence and robbery charges on top of that.

Had the offence been Section 18 GBH which carries a life sentence and is for very serious assaults, then it would be unlikely that bail would be granted.

As for 24 hours, the police can hold you for up to 24 hours in England & Wales before they have to charge you with a crime or release you. They can apply to hold you for up to 36 hours if a Police Officer (of Inspector rank or above) deems it necessary in order to investigate further or up to 96 hours if a Magistrate deems it necessary in order for the police to investigate further and you are suspected of a serious crime. You can be held without charge for up to 14 days If you're arrested under the Terrorism Act.

Just as in the US, in the UK you have the right to a Duty Solicitor (Lawyer) who will advise you when questioned by the police, and you do not need to say anything until your lawyer is present and the interview recording begins.

However the Miranda Rights are different in the UK and consist of "You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court".

In the US the Miranda Rights are "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in court. You have the right to talk to a lawyer for advice before we ask you any questions. You have the right to have a lawyer with you during questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. If you decide to answer questions now without a lawyer present, you have the right to stop answering at any time".

So you can't rely on something in Court that you fail to tell the police at interview in the UK, which means there is less right to silence when compared to the US.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-10-2019 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 10:09 AM
 
4,989 posts, read 2,008,129 times
Reputation: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Bail comes with a list of specific conditions, and may include attending the police station reguarly, as well as restrictions on movements, contacting each other or anyone involved in the case, use of social media, curfews and numerous other such restrictions. Any breaking of bail conditions will result in a person being 'Remanded' in Custody.

The police have granted bail because they are satisfied that
Given the time and nature of the attack , I would have let them spend the month in juvie hall.

But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,359,093 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Probably muslim since they won’t release the identity of the 18 year old.
The photo that was released of three of the suspects on CCTV showed a white kid and two others that have more neutral features, could be white, mixed, middle eastern, or Mediterranean. I believe the media this far has said that they were white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 10:13 AM
 
79,146 posts, read 33,597,768 times
Reputation: 15837
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So they are just walking around. Someone should just leak the info who they are. I'm tired of dangerous little thugs being protected because of their age.
I see that some people have learned nothing from the recent headlines about what happens when society convicts someone before all the evidence is presented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 10:15 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
Reputation: 48178
News is very careful to talk about the victims but not the attackers

The endless attempt to band together groups with fundamental different core values against a common enemy are failing

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-10-2019 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 10:20 AM
 
12,119 posts, read 6,694,805 times
Reputation: 12964
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The photo that was released of three of the suspects on CCTV showed a white kid and two others that have more neutral features, could be white, mixed, middle eastern, or Mediterranean. I believe the media this far has said that they were white.
A link would be nice. I've searched and unable to find any photos or footage of this attack, nor any indication of their race or ethnicity.

Image searches of "bus attack London" do turn up some other horrible images from other incidents though.

And the left wants us to stop driving and take more public transportation. Uh-huh. Nothing like being a sitting duck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 10:20 AM
 
998 posts, read 172,154 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It has nothing to do with guns, and everything to do with the very large number of cities we have and the inner city Black on Black violence. Many "thugs" get shot by good guys and women defending themselves who are saved from this type of violence or worse. It just doesn't get reported very much, as it doesn't fit the Media narrative.
Then why do white folk get shot in predominantly white areas by other white people? Don't tell me those Black Ninja Thugs are terrorizing Trailer parks across America. Please let me know who is stealing all that darn copper out of AC's across America. Who keeps sticking all these white folks with Hepatitis laden needles filled with heroin?

You can continue to play the Race card, or get real about the problems in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 AM
 
Location: USA
17,779 posts, read 8,877,523 times
Reputation: 13297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Then why do white folk get shot in predominantly white areas by other white people? Don't tell me those Black Ninja Thugs are terrorizing Trailer parks across America. Please let me know who is stealing all that darn copper out of AC's across America. Who keeps sticking all these white folks with Hepatitis laden needles filled with heroin?

You can continue to play the Race card, or get real about the problems in America.
It's not the race card, it is statistical fact. Yet you have to resort to the race card because you don't like the truth. Strip away suicides, and Black on Black violence where a gun is used and you have a statistically insignificant number of death by a PERSON using a gun in the U.S. Maybe a few thousand in a country of 330 MILLION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top