U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 10:01 AM

37,062 posts, read 16,148,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
In an era where Medicare-for-All is now overwhelmingly popular amongst the general populace, a new study shows that the US would see significant savings from implementing such a system, in addition to improving the economy and well-being/mental health.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...us-51-trillion
"Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community",

"What we value. We share our readers’ progressive values of social justice, human rights, equality and peace" says it all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 02:46 PM

19,261 posts, read 12,263,218 times
Quote:
In an era where Medicare-for-All is now overwhelmingly popular amongst the general populace, a new study shows that the US would see significant savings from implementing such a system, in addition to improving the economy and well-being/mental health.

Was that "new study" done by the same people who developed the "climate models" thirty years ago?

Old 06-28-2019, 11:23 PM

3,021 posts, read 4,095,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
What have you found not to be covered by Medicare?
Lots of “little” stuff.

Coming from memory and remember I have Part B plus private insurance so sometimes it just shows the private insurance picking it up the additional cost. No reason why Medicare did not pay the bill.

But....here goes.

Orthotics for shoes. Colonoscopies billing was split, so a large part was not covered. My wife has had several lab tests refused. I had vertigo and a couple of the diagnostic procedures were not covered by Medicare.

Then lots of BS, like two appointments instead of one for the annual physical.

It is really expensive continuing with the private insurance, but it is nice knowing that I don’t have to worry about finding a doctor or having Medicare not cover an expense.

Really frustrating, since it seems that in trying to save money the government ends up spending MORE in the long run.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:28 AM

37,062 posts, read 16,148,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Lots of “little” stuff.

Coming from memory and remember I have Part B plus private insurance so sometimes it just shows the private insurance picking it up the additional cost. No reason why Medicare did not pay the bill.

But....here goes.

Orthotics for shoes. Colonoscopies billing was split, so a large part was not covered. My wife has had several lab tests refused. I had vertigo and a couple of the diagnostic procedures were not covered by Medicare.

It is really expensive continuing with the private insurance, but it is nice knowing that I don’t have to worry about finding a doctor or having Medicare not cover an expense.

Really frustrating, since it seems that in trying to save money the government ends up spending MORE in the long run.
"but it is nice knowing that I don’t have to worry about finding a doctor"

I've been hearing more and more doctors no longer take medicare patients.

"Other doctors and medical providers opt-out of Medicare altogether. As of September 2018, there are more than 22,000 licensed medical providers (physicians and other healthcare professionals) that will not take Medicare for payment"

https://www.verywellhealth.com/docto...urance-3976280

Old 06-29-2019, 06:17 AM

72,086 posts, read 83,752,398 times
Quote:

How many ways can we say BS politely? However many there are, each one is correct. People who believe what they read on any blog needs to get a life!!!!e

Old 06-29-2019, 08:17 AM

2,324 posts, read 632,158 times
Quote:

You can only peddle that successfully to dope addled dropouts.........who are math illiterates.....

Old 06-29-2019, 09:14 AM

8,889 posts, read 3,946,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Lots of “little” stuff.

But....here goes.

I'm a doc, internist over 40 years. And a Medicare recipient the last few years. IME Medicare typically covers more of my requested meds, testing and treatments than the privates. Both as a doc and as a patient. IMO Medicare actually covers too much too easily, and that has resulted in much unnecessary spending. The private insurance carriers we have to deal with on a continual basis with so many patients as they try and avoid losses.

But of course everyone as individual patients will have differing experiences.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:01 AM

87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Quote:
I'm a doc, internist over 40 years. And a Medicare recipient the last few years. IME Medicare typically covers more of my requested meds, testing and treatments than the privates. Both as a doc and as a patient. IMO Medicare actually covers too much too easily, and that has resulted in much unnecessary spending. The private insurance carriers we have to deal with on a continual basis with so many patients as they try and avoid losses.

But of course everyone as individual patients will have differing experiences.
I'm a nurse (RN), have worked as a visiting nurse with Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance patients. I'm also now a Medicare recipient as is my husband who was diagnosed with leukemia last fall. Professionally, I've found all three to approve and deny kind of willy-nilly. Medicare does require that a patient be homebound by their definition of requiring major assistance out of the home (not just by diagnosis) to give home care. Private insurances usually went along with whatever the doctor said. Medicaid, I can't recall with that. Colorado Medicaid was really pretty easy to work with, easier than either private insurance or Medicare.

WRT my husband, Medicare would not approve him getting Blincyto IV infusions at home, wanted him in the hospital. The supplemental, AARP, did pay for the home care. No one would pay for magnesium infusions at home; one of them (or maybe both) will pay for them at the doctor's office. So we do two a week at home and two a week at the doctor's when he's there for his post-transplant visits. We pay privately for the home care infusions. No one would pay for Noxafil, an anti-fungal med that is so expensive that we qualified for assistance from Merck for payment. And so it goes.

I have not had any problems getting my needs covered, but I haven't been really sick, either.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:15 AM

8,889 posts, read 3,946,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm a nurse (RN), have worked as a visiting nurse with Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance patients. I'm also now a Medicare recipient as is my husband who was diagnosed with leukemia last fall. Professionally, I've found all three to approve and deny kind of willy-nilly. Medicare does require that a patient be homebound by their definition of requiring major assistance out of the home (not just by diagnosis) to give home care. Private insurances usually went along with whatever the doctor said. Medicaid, I can't recall with that. Colorado Medicaid was really pretty easy to work with, easier than either private insurance or Medicare.

WRT my husband, Medicare would not approve him getting Blincyto IV infusions at home, wanted him in the hospital. The supplemental, AARP, did pay for the home care. No one would pay for magnesium infusions at home; one of them (or maybe both) will pay for them at the doctor's office. So we do two a week at home and two a week at the doctor's when he's there for his post-transplant visits. We pay privately for the home care infusions. No one would pay for Noxafil, an anti-fungal med that is so expensive that we qualified for assistance from Merck for payment. And so it goes.

I have not had any problems getting my needs covered, but I haven't been really sick, either.
With Noxafil it could be his part D, as it seems it is covered at times. Maybe not commonly covered for prophylaxis yet.

https://projects.propublica.org/checkup/drugs/4969

My wife is on a large dose of Noxafil, covered by her Obamacare. As I recall about $6K retail/month. It was covered for prophylaxis, and then covered when she developed a fungal infection.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:04 PM

87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Quote:
With Noxafil it could be his part D, as it seems it is covered at times. Maybe not commonly covered for prophylaxis yet.

https://projects.propublica.org/checkup/drugs/4969

My wife is on a large dose of Noxafil, covered by her Obamacare. As I recall about $6K retail/month. It was covered for prophylaxis, and then covered when she developed a fungal infection.
Trust me, the coordinators looked at all the angles. We get it directly from Merck with some sort of discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or