Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 10:15 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
about $90K per person over 10 years.

Which, FWIW, I'd say isn't that bad. I know that my annual premiums alone for a family of 4 and high-deductible coverage had gotten to $12-15K per year
Dont forget to include the portion that is paid by the employer right now. Its a common trick by the right wing to ignore the portion paid by the employer while including all taxes to fund Medicare-for-all to make it look more expensive.

Also, taxes are progressive. So the "cost for an average family" doesnt take into account that the well heeled will pay more into the Medicare system than ordinary folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 10:16 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Which is....a lack of affordable healthcare or health insurance. Many have found they have no choice but to resort to Medicaid of SSDI in order to provided medical care for their family.
When it was cheaper to pay the fine than to participate in ACA insurance enrichening schemes...
Can't blame them can ya?

Where was the logic in taking away the insurance plan I had...
Replacing it with something that cost 200% more
For 50% less the coverage
Modeled after car insurance with a yearly, I repeat, YEARLY deductible to be met first before insurance paid out.
PLUS insurance companies being given a license to print money by declaring.
That's out of network.

Go back to how things once were. Stop inviting the government to meddle in things it shouldn't be involved in. It only manages to arbitrarily raise costs and appeal to morons incapable of thinking, just feeling.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:18 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
In an era where Medicare-for-All is now overwhelmingly popular amongst the general populace, a new study shows that the US would see significant savings from implementing such a system, in addition to improving the economy and well-being/mental health.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...us-51-trillion
lmao ...common dreams?

try this instead

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/08/th...icare-for-all/

Old 06-08-2019, 10:22 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
At medicare payment rates, half of the hospitals and medical practices would have gone bankrupt, precipitating a healthcare access crisis.

Hooray for liberalism!
It is actually quite clear and simple. We pay roughly twice as much as comparable countries and get a lesser result.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1GP2YN

We need to fix it. Simple as that. And no we do not let the system collapse in the process.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:28 AM

18,803 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Even certain financial assistance plans can be unaffordable. I just applied through NYS Marketplace because I can't get employer insurance. I would have loved to get an Essential Plan with a $44 premium for medical, vision and dental, but I make too much. Too bad, because the EPP is the only reasonable health plan out there out of everything that is available - covers a ton of services, and the premiums and copays are very reasonable. Too bad the income threshold is only between $24,000 and $25,000.

I got an Advance Premium Tax Credit with Cost Sharing Reduction, but the CSR requires a Silver Plan. Even with my APTC I'd be paying at least $150/month. I had to opt for a Bronze plan with a $4,000 deductible. I better hope I don't need to use it. If I am offered employer insurance I'll have to accept it and cancel my current plan, even

When you factor in deductibles and co-insurance, you may as well not have insurance at all, because you end up paying for the majority of the services anyway.
Well at least you have catastrophic.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:34 AM

18,803 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
about $90K per person over 10 years.

Which, FWIW, I'd say isn't that bad. I know that my annual premiums alone for a family of 4 and high-deductible coverage had gotten to $12-15K per year
Family of 4 average today is about $28K in HC related OOP spending per year.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...4-in-2018.html

Old 06-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Most perplexing thing about liberals they believe Uncle Sam can do a better job then the private industry.

We have examples of how "good" the fed does with managing health care by looking at the VA, Medicare and Medicaid.

I DON'T want them involved in MY health care.
They can in the instance of healthcare. A free market can't work with necessary healthcare (i.e. we aren't talking liposuction or lasik here); because the supply demand curve gets thrown out of whack. To not utilise the service when you need it means horrible health best case to death worst case. A free market can't work there

Old 06-08-2019, 01:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Most perplexing thing about liberals they believe Uncle Sam can do a better job then the private industry.

We have examples of how "good" the fed does with managing health care by looking at the VA, Medicare and Medicaid.

I DON'T want them involved in MY health care.
As if dying because one cannot afford the price of Insulin is freedom of privatized healthcare.

High insulin costs are killing Americans

With a Medicaid card, that insulin would cost a meager $3 co-pay.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:24 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
At medicare payment rates, half of the hospitals and medical practices would have gone bankrupt, precipitating a healthcare access crisis.

Hooray for liberalism!
Newsflash! Private insurance companies follow the lead of Medicare for payment and reimbursement of medical expenses.

Quote:
We show that Medicare exerts widespread and quantitatively substantial influence over the rates that private insurers pay. A $1 change in Medicare’s payments for one service relative to another, or in one geographic region relative to another, drives a change of just over $1 in private payments. These payment changes reorient billions of public- and private-sector health dollars across locations and types of care. In aggregate, our estimates imply that Medicare’s pricing decisions can appreciably move both health sector and overall inflation
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5509075/

Old 06-08-2019, 01:25 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The cause of our problems is the supporting of deadbeats.
Agreed. When you subsidize something you get more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies