Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 06:44 AM

58,546 posts, read 26,866,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
What's wrong with Medicare?
Plenty. Do some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The only reason it could be. Private health insurance is unaffordable.

" Private health insurance is unaffordable", not true.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is actually quite clear and simple. We pay roughly twice as much as comparable countries and get a lesser result.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1GP2YN

We need to fix it. Simple as that. And no we do not let the system collapse in the process.

" We pay roughly twice as much as comparable countries and get a lesser result."

NOT when you factor in the TAXES they pay to get it.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
They can in the instance of healthcare. A free market can't work with necessary healthcare (i.e. we aren't talking liposuction or lasik here); because the supply demand curve gets thrown out of whack. To not utilise the service when you need it means horrible health best case to death worst case. A free market can't work there
"A free market can't work there" Wrong. It DID for DECADES. 80% of the people got their health care insurance through their employer. Even through retirement until Medicare came to be then bushiness said why would I provide something at a high cost to me, when Uncle Sam will do it, and dropped the insurance when a person retire

I believe 80% it is still true today until retirement.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
As if dying because one cannot afford the price of Insulin is freedom of privatized healthcare.

High insulin costs are killing Americans

With a Medicaid card, that insulin would cost a meager $3 co-pay.

BEFORE Medicare, your health care insurance company WOULD cover it.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:01 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,377,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" We pay roughly twice as much as comparable countries and get a lesser result."

NOT when you factor in the TAXES they pay to get it.
YES; when you factor in the taxes as compared to insurance premiums, co-pays, deductibles, allowable maximums, in-network versus out of network nonsense AND the frequent denials of coverage.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:03 AM

16,237 posts, read 5,829,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Which is....a lack of affordable healthcare or health insurance. Many have found they have no choice but to resort to Medicaid of SSDI in order to provided medical care for their family.
I have to side with you on this one. Which in itself is rare. LOL.

The only issue I would have with a single payer system controlled by the FED is the blatant waste that follows any government program. The bigger the agency the bigger the waste. Look no further than the DOD. hahaha

Every other first world country has found a way to make it work. People become expats for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the search for a quality of life for a reasonable price.

I just renewed my health insurance for my wife and I. $2730.00.
No co-pay
No deductible.
The insurance is accepted everywhere in SE Asia and most of Europe.

In the states it was nearly $7500 for a good policy that also had co-pays and deductibles.

I feel US doctors are among the best, too bad the system is pretty lame.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:05 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,632,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Private health insurance is unaffordable", not true.
For a ton of Americans, it is very much true.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Republicans all campaign on sticking it to the poor and "freeloaders" (wealthy people who avoid all income tax don't count though), they'll never vote it in!
Typical party biased claim.

It looks like you are making the assumption ONLY repubs are wealthy!

If so, you have lost all credibility you MIGHT have had!

Old 06-09-2019, 07:08 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,868,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Medicare needs a bullet to the head, not expanding.
Gee Frank, are you 65? Are you already on Medicare? If not, you have no clue what you are talking about!
Medicare and Social Security are two of the most wonderful programs ever devised in the US. Older Americans would be dying in droves without it!
Now Medicare for all, not so sure about. Not only would there be a problem paying for it that manure concerned about but, I hate to break to to some folks, Medicare is not free. When the "Bleeding Hearts" get ahold of it, are they going to waive the premium for those deemed too poor to pay? Medicare Part B only pays 80%, what about what's left, who will pay that? What about Drugs, Medicare does not cover that unless you get a Part D Plan which is not free either. Even with a Part D, there are still significant co-pays.
I'm sure when these politicians are thinking about Medicare for All, that's not what they mean, they mean just plain health care for all, no premiums, no rules, everything is paid for by "Someone Else"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies