U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 05:20 PM

50,525 posts, read 26,677,010 times

Advertisements

Subway rectified this situation. I consider it done and over with.

All is right with the world again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 05:45 PM

623 posts, read 126,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
A girl drops off an application at the store.

These Same People stereotype blacks as not having jobs and being lazy. These same people decry affirmative action and Black History month. This racism happens to black and brown people with names too ethnic. Sometimes it's just casual bias, a white person is hiring and feels more comfortable working with people of a similar background. The result is the same, resume goes in the trash.

It's impossible to prove discrimination as the person of color simply never gets an interview/opportunity and the hiring manager isn't dumb enough to put racism in writing.

Subway manager fired after alleged discrimination

Since its not his store he unfortunately can't make that decision. I would never have put it online somehow via text etc but I would do the same if I owned a business....I hire and fire who I want....no government should be involved.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:42 PM

30,442 posts, read 20,090,801 times
Quote:

These Same People stereotype blacks as not having jobs and being lazy. These same people decry affirmative action and Black History month. This racism happens to black and brown people with names too ethnic. Sometimes it's just casual bias, a white person is hiring and feels more comfortable working with people of a similar background. The result is the same, resume goes in the trash.

It's impossible to prove discrimination as the person of color simply never gets an interview/opportunity and the hiring manager isn't dumb enough to put racism in writing.

If this sort of discrimination is not acceptable, why is "Affirmative Action" (an Orwellian euphemism for discrimination against innocent white males) fine and dandy?

Old 06-08-2019, 07:57 PM

5,113 posts, read 2,597,201 times
Don't know about you guys, but I can't stand people with long dark hair.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:03 PM

26,719 posts, read 11,205,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
a. who are "these same people"? The manager is obviously an idiot, which is one reason that "Subway manager" was the high point on her resume.

b. thankfully, the manager was properly fired. the mother/teen should seek EEOC help making sure the incident is officially reported, and hopefully that ex-manager is known as a potential/former lawbreaker/racist.

c. is there any data within the last decade for blacks applying for jobs they're qualified for, and being declined - particularly when the job remains open? Is there data that shows "Hey, Subways fill 9 of 10 positions with white people, even though they have 40% of qualified applicants who are black?"
Making light of what one does for a living while ignoring the quality of the work is arrogant and condescending. Shame on you.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:10 PM

17,747 posts, read 19,785,288 times
It's institutionalized racism and it is still very present in the US, even in giant liberal companies and extremely liberal cities.... Your name gives it away, even universities do it... They defend the rejection because holistically you were insufficient, lol what BS...

Old 06-08-2019, 08:23 PM

13,547 posts, read 7,403,867 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjStSqu_w4

Old 06-09-2019, 10:23 AM

47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times
I'm glad that manager got fired and I hope said manager pays for this for a long time. This incident still shows that job discrimination is still a thing. Granted, that person was more upfront about not wanting Blacks around.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:28 AM

3,741 posts, read 1,801,884 times
Quote:

Life sucks.

What do you think the chances are of white Jeff Johnson getting a job at Jose's Tire Shop?

Old 06-09-2019, 10:35 AM

47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Life sucks.

What do you think the chances are of white Jeff Johnson getting a job at Jose's Tire Shop?
Depends. I've seen White people get hired at Mexican restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or