U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather pay $5000 more in private premiums than $2000 more in health care taxes?
Yes, paying more to the insurance companies ensure that I am free 27 29.67%
No, paying less into a Medicare-style system is the sensible thing to do 64 70.33%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 03:20 PM

45,765 posts, read 34,009,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Congress could pull the bandaid off and end NFIP.

there would be some intended and unintended consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 03:34 PM

66,437 posts, read 30,287,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
NFIP was $25 billion in the hole at the end of fiscal year 2018. It takes $375 million to service the debt. It can never be repaid, given current design.

Ant NFIP will be back at the Treasury Window after the next big one.

Living in a flood plain is a choice.

Financing property, which requires flood insurance is a choice.
That's why most properties fail the "grandfather" test and their premiums are bumped up, accordingly. $25 billion is only 0.6% of federal spending. The interest, $375 million, is only 0.09% of federal spending. In comparison, how much does Medicaid funding cost, what percentage of annual spending is that, and how much in Medicaid premiums are collected to offset the expense? Food, clothing, and shelter are primary basic needs. Health care is not.

Medicaid spending per year: 14.6% of federal spending. 24.33 times as much. No premiums required. Medicaid coverage is free. Why not also make federal flood insurance free?

Old 06-11-2019, 04:22 PM

841 posts, read 127,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
sure it is....they are the single (one) payer, they will say what they are going to pay for...and not
They are the single payer within that public system. But at least as it works here in the UK you can always pay for private insurance (to not wait for routine procedures if there is a long list, or to cover treatments that are not funded by the NHS etc) or pay out of pocket for those rare situations where you want a treatment that isn't covered.

It's the same with any private insurance as far as I know, there are medicines, procedures etc that are not covered under the policy and if you want those then you have to pay in addition to your policy premiums. I don't think any private medical insurance is available that says you can have any treatment you want at any time with absolutely no restrictions and no co-payments. If its covered then great, if it isn't then it isn't.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:27 PM

841 posts, read 127,819 times
Quote:
That's why most properties fail the "grandfather" test and their premiums are bumped up, accordingly. $25 billion is only 0.6% of federal spending. The interest, $375 million, is only 0.09% of federal spending. In comparison, how much does Medicaid funding cost, what percentage of annual spending is that, and how much in Medicaid premiums are collected to offset the expense? Food, clothing, and shelter are primary basic needs. Health care is not.

Medicaid spending per year: 14.6% of federal spending. 24.33 times as much. No premiums required. Medicaid coverage is free. Why not also make federal flood insurance free?
Shelter is a basic need, but shelter that happens to be on a prime waterfront location next to a beach with a great view isn't a basic need. I can see some justification for protecting homeowners against rising sea levels and increased flood risk that they could not have predicted when they bought the property, but anybody buying now in a high risk area should take that into account when buying and the market price in those high risk areas should reduce to take account of that flood risk.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Shelter is a basic need, but shelter that happens to be on a prime waterfront location next to a beach with a great view isn't a basic need.
That's not the only area that has Repetitive Losses. Look at the FEMA RL map I posted.
Quote:
I can see some justification for protecting homeowners against rising sea levels and increased flood risk that they could not have predicted when they bought the property, but anybody buying now in a high risk area should take that into account when buying and the market price in those high risk areas should reduce to take account of that flood risk.
That would include a significant portion of the Midwest, as well, including farm land we depend on to produce our food. Floods are not exclusively a coastal event.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:03 PM

7,309 posts, read 3,031,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Simple question, is it better to pay more in private health care premiums, deductibles and co-pays than paying less than that in taxes?
We'll take private health insurance thanks. You pay for your own issues and needs.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:13 PM

1,774 posts, read 988,141 times
Quote:

No. All of these are.

So let me get this straight, you don't want the taxpayer to pay for Medicaid, but you you would like that same taxpayer to cover your flood insurance premiums because you decided to live in a high risk area? Got it.

P.S. Btw, as I said it is going to get much worse, the water is getting warmer the hurricanes are getting stronger. It's called physics.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
No. All of these are.

So let me get this straight, you don't want the taxpayer to pay for Medicaid, but you you would like that same taxpayer to cover your flood insurance premiums because you decided to live in a high risk area? Got it.
Neither. And the Fed Gov doesn't "cover" my FEMA flood insurance premiums. I pay about $7,000/year for a flood policy that has a $250,000 max payout (they all do) and have never had a claim. Never flooded even though I am in a supposed high risk zone and have been through two direct hits from hurricanes. In comparison, my homeowner's insurance premium which covers everything but flood and wind damage (wind is a separate policy, so I have a total of 3 insurance policies on my home), fire, etc., for example, is only $750/year for full replacement coverage.

Quote:
P.S. Btw, as I said it is going to get much worse, the water is getting warmer the hurricanes are getting stronger. It's called physics.
I covered this info in another thread... Here you go...

Besides inexplicably blaming the increase in the CO2 level on human activity without ruling out other causes, the anthropogenic climate change nutters simply haven't included the effects of hydrothermal vents and other geologic activity on the ocean floor and how that results in the release of CO2 from the ocean floor reservoirs which then enters the atmosphere in their prediction models, so they're going to be way off anyway.

CO2 reservoirs on ocean floor caused global warming before -- and could do it again

Source: USC research

It's actually a vicious, escalating cycle. The more the hydrothermal vents, underwater volcanoes, etc., heat up the ocean, the more CO2 is released from the reservoirs in the ocean floor and enter the atmosphere as has happened repeatedly throughout the earth's 4+ billion year history.

Scientists Find Hottest Water Ever

Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 PM

1,774 posts, read 988,141 times
Quote:
Neither. And the Fed Gov doesn't "cover" my FEMA flood insurance premiums. I pay about $7,000/year for a flood policy that has a $250,000 max payout (they all do) and have never had a claim. Never flooded even though I am in a supposed high risk zone and have been through two direct hits from hurricanes. In comparison, my homeowner's insurance premium which covers everything but flood and wind damage (wind is a separate policy, so I have a total of 3 insurance policies on my home), fire, etc., for example, is only $750/year for full replacement coverage.

I covered this info in another thread... Here you go...

Besides inexplicably blaming the increase in the CO2 level on human activity without ruling out other causes, the anthropogenic climate change nutters simply haven't included the effects of hydrothermal vents and other geologic activity on the ocean floor and how that results in the release of CO2 from the ocean floor reservoirs which then enters the atmosphere in their prediction models, so they're going to be way off anyway.

CO2 reservoirs on ocean floor caused global warming before -- and could do it again

Source: USC research

It's actually a vicious, escalating cycle. The more the hydrothermal vents, underwater volcanoes, etc., heat up the ocean, the more CO2 is released from the reservoirs in the ocean floor and enter the atmosphere as has happened repeatedly throughout the earth's 4+ billion year history.

Scientists Find Hottest Water Ever

Lol, I suggest you read again what you posted.

But regardless, this was my statement, do you have a problem with it?

"the water is getting warmer the hurricanes are getting stronger"

Old 06-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol, I suggest you read again what you posted.
No point. My FEMA flood insurance policy, which costs me the most in premiums, $7,000/year, has never been needed. My home has been here for 35 years and has never flooded despite numerous direct hurricane hits. My homeowner's policy, which covers full replacement cost due to fire, etc., costs only $750/year.

And as CO2 seems to be of utmost concern to the anthropogenic climate change nutters, why aren't they addressing the issue of ocean floor geologic activity that releases far more CO2 into the atmosphere than any other source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies