U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather pay $5000 more in private premiums than $2000 more in health care taxes?
Yes, paying more to the insurance companies ensure that I am free 27 29.67%
No, paying less into a Medicare-style system is the sensible thing to do 64 70.33%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 11:21 AM

66,240 posts, read 30,169,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Simple question, is it better to pay more in private health care premiums, deductibles and co-pays than paying less than that in taxes?
If you could guarantee that I would only have to pay $2,000/year in health care tax and everyone would be covered including myself (so I wouldn't have to pay for my private insurance), I would opt for that. Can you guarantee that? I'd like to see the Congressional Bill that proposes exactly that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 11:23 AM

4,571 posts, read 2,908,502 times
my private health care is the best my state offers, and it costs me a whopping $120 a month. I'll keep that thanks.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:23 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,403,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
When it is an employer provided plan you can't 'change' plans or providers.

You get insurance from an employer and then you get a list of 'acceptable' doctors, hospitals, etc.

And then there are further limitations each insurance plan puts on treatments.

So you can switch to resolve one issue and then find that you aren't covered for another...

Your solution isn't practical.

The USA should be able to work through and develop a system that allows for its citizens to have a basic standard of care without having to go bankrupt.
On the contrary, my husband’s provider gives us the option every October during Open Enrollment to choose from one of the several plans that they offer.

We opt for a PPO plan, which allows us to use any provider that we wish. We have a $3500 yearly family deductible. My husband took a big chunk of that out with a minor throat procedure earlier this year, and I met the max halfway through my first knee replacement last month. So now everything is covered for the entire rest of the year, including my second knee replacement coming up shortly. I’ll pay $30 a visit for PT ... that’s it.

Hub’s employer also offers an HMO plan as well as a “minimum” plan. There’s something for everyone.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:27 AM

45,619 posts, read 33,883,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They wanted to fix it from the time it was realized that there were huge problems.

But the Republicans took a hard line of repealing the whole ACT.

Until they got control of the House & Senate and their constituents FREAKED out on them about a total repeal.

Clinton ran on fixing the ACA.

Trump ran on repealing the ACA.

You can blame the DEMS all you want but a House controlled by Republicans and a Senate controlled by Republicans with a Republican President couldn't formulate a solution to the problems........

And to this day we don't have a detailed outline of what the Republicans offer as their health care plan solutions.

All we keep hearing is how the Dems aren't playing along.

Then hit the road with the amazing Republican plan and let American voters decide.
There is no such thing as perfect healthcare, anywhere.
All Universal Healthcare systems are annually tweaked and periodically reformed. Only in the US is there an intention to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Trump endorsed Trump-care 1 and 2 and did so without knowing the contents and before it was scored. Had either passed, it would have been the kiss of death for a second term.

Months before the 2018 midterms, most Republicans communicated their support of mandating insurers cover preexisting conditions and did so despite years of effort to fall back to the good old days, pre ACA, where most states allowed insurers to insurers discriminate. Some states had no cap on the look back period.

Trump’s endless campaign promises right up to the 2016 election to deliver better healthcare at a fraction of the costs remains one of his greatest vulnerabilities in 2020.

That Trump failed to mention healthcare in his inaugural address made clear, he had no plan to deliver. Shortly thereafter, he mumbled something about “ no one knew healthcare was so complicated”.

That too confirmed he/ insiders had no plan to deliver.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:30 AM

22,792 posts, read 12,182,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is no such thing as perfect healthcare, anywhere.
All Universal Healthcare systems are annually tweaked and periodically reformed. Only in the US is there an intention to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Trump endorsed Trump-care 1 and 2 and did so without knowing the contents and before it was scored. Had either passed, it would have been the kiss of death for a second term.

Months before the 2018 midterms, most Republicans communicated their support of mandating insurers cover preexisting conditions and did so despite years of effort to fall back to the good old days, pre ACA, where most states allowed insurers to insurers discriminate. Some states had no cap on the look back period.
Yes Republicans have now agreed that many parts of the ACA were worth keeping.

I get that. NOW what they need to do. Finalize their plan and sell it as part of the 2020 package.

Clear message -- this is what we are offering.

As Democrats should suggest how they intend to fix the problems now.

Nothing is going to happen in the next year and a half. We will be voting on what we hope can happen.

Both parties just have to tell us what they can do for us and we take it from there.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:31 AM

10,111 posts, read 12,337,743 times
Quote:
No medical practice is required to accept Medicare reimbursement. While most do, they limit the number of patients dependent upon Medicare reimbursement.

Private insurance reimburses at a higher rate.

Traditional Medicare does not pay for everything. This is why many have private Medi-gap supplemental plans.

Advantage Plans May be a better option for reasonably healthy people who are willing to accept narrow networks of providers.

The use of private supplemental insurance is increasingly common in countries with Universal Healthcare.
Which is why I have a Plan G instead of an Advantage Plan.

With a Plan G the insurance actually pays more than Medicare pays, I think it is 15% more, it covers all co-pays and I can go see any doctor I want in the country anytime I want.

Also pays for overseas emergency care up to $50,000 with a 20% deductible. If I go on a cruise and have a heart attack it should at least get me home where I pay nothing. Whenever I do travel out of country I get private health insurance to pay when traveling.

I also have VA care which I really like and is 100% free for me. All my drugs i get free from the VA but my disability is service connected from the time I served in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969. Yep, we are still paying for the Vietnam war.

If I wanted to I could drop all Medicare and rely on the VA system but that would greatly limit where I could get care and I travel a lot for business. Yep, approaching 71 and still working full time traveling.

Personal note about care in the VA system: I find the system excellent. I have never had an issue getting any care needed and I feel very comfortable with them. For me the VA has been fantastic.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:33 AM

39,131 posts, read 20,262,677 times
Quote:
A lot of people don’t understand a lot of things. That does not however, prevent them from communicating opinions as if they were facts.
And the worst is to learn the facts from are politicians vying for your vote or the media with an agenda.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:35 AM

Our gov't coddles people who haven't invested in their futures while demanding the people who paid their way through life pay for it but won't benefit until everything they worked for is gone.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:36 AM

Medicaid for ex... People believe there is a safety net for them, yes and no. No, because the income limits to qualify are so low you'd have to be a dead beat (low or no SS) to qualify.

While the poor get everything free (and to add insult they are still not happy and want more). People who worked, SS has to be very low, and if you have assets you have to be broke first to qualify. They go through the sale proceeds to pay first. That's all your hard work up in smoke while a dead beat has nothing to go after.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:42 AM

11,298 posts, read 8,373,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
How about I don't want government bean counters to decide my healthcare choices. To them, I'm citizen #276,138,473. If you think the government doesn't have a "maximum out of pocket" value assigned to your life, you're in for a big surprise.
And you think an insurance company doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies