Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather pay $5000 more in private premiums than $2000 more in health care taxes?
Yes, paying more to the insurance companies ensure that I am free 27 29.67%
No, paying less into a Medicare-style system is the sensible thing to do 64 70.33%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 02:47 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It would help if states would lift their restrictions on the expansion of urgent care clinics.

Georgia is one state that's still stuck in the stone ages when it comes to establishing and expanding hospitals.
who will build new hospitals under UHC? who decides who gets them?... people in Washington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 03:00 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
I can't really think of any Government program that is known for being efficient, within budget and timely. I would actually be behind a public health care system if I had even a small hope that the Government was capable of running it. Which I just can't see them doing.
One of the underrated benefits of a system centered upon excise taxes and state monopolies on tobacco, liquor, etc, would be the "de-glamourization" of the process by which they're obtained. I had a relative, since deceased, who worked for the Post Office, and I can't think of a dull, plodding personality more likely to alienate and dissuade those in line for their regular "ration of sin".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-08-2019 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 03:03 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Simple question, is it better to pay more in private health care premiums, deductibles and co-pays than paying less than that in taxes?
False dilemma, considered a 'logical fallacy.'
https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/.../False-Dilemma

Did you stop beating your wife, Mike. That's a 'yes' or a 'no.'

Old 06-08-2019, 03:11 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
Did not the state of California recently explore this on a state level, determine that it mathematically worked out to a $10,000 cost per resident and table the idea for now? Did not many members of the liberal community here post that $10K a year was in line with what existing medical costs were running now?

Old 06-08-2019, 03:12 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
who will build new hospitals under UHC? who decides who gets them?... people in Washington?
Most likely the people with the best overall perspective, unless the system for allocating resources is compromised

Old 06-08-2019, 03:12 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Medicare is worst and most expensive health care insurance Ive ever had. Pretending it will be cheaper is a fools errand

Old 06-08-2019, 03:29 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Private healthcare systems, as they see fit based on local supply and demand. Anti-competition Certificate of Need boards should have no say in this.

Who else?

Old 06-08-2019, 03:36 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Simple question, is it better to pay more in private health care premiums, deductibles and co-pays than paying less than that in taxes?
Taxes would cost more $5,000.

I would prefer you be like Switzerland.

Ban healthcare monopolies like Switzerland has.

In addition to banning monopolies like Switzerland has, limit healthcare providers to one facility per region, like Switzerland has (the Swiss limit one per canton).

In addition to banning monopolies and limiting healthcare providers to one facility per region, like Switzerland has, encourage competition like Switzerland has.

The second you ban hospital monopolies and cartels, the cost of medical care drops 30% to 60%.

The second the cost of medical care drops 30% to 60%, the cost of health plan coverage drops 30% to 60%.

The second you repeal federal and state laws banning clinics and polyclinics, healthcare will shift from the antiquated costly ineffective and inefficient Hospital Model to the modern, inexpensive, highly effective and highly efficient Clinic and Polyclinic Model like Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands, France, Belgium, Poland, Romania, Hungaria, Austria, Norway, Denmark and Finland use.

That will reduce medical costs another 10% to 30% and in turn reduces the cost of health plan coverage another 10% to 30%.

After you've done those things, come talk to us about "Medicare-for-All."

Old 06-08-2019, 05:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Maybe *you* do, but I don’t. I am very satisfied with my private plan. In fact, I’m currently recovering from a knee replacement that has been a very smooth and seamless procedure.

But the majority of Americans aren't. The majority will rule. I expect a single payer healthcare system in the US in my lifetime. I wouldn't have believed it a few years ago but since Trump is hell bent on destroying the ACA it's going to get here sooner than later.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:58 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Taxes would cost more $5,000.

I would prefer you be like Switzerland.

Ban healthcare monopolies like Switzerland has.

In addition to banning monopolies like Switzerland has, limit healthcare providers to one facility per region, like Switzerland has (the Swiss limit one per canton).

In addition to banning monopolies and limiting healthcare providers to one facility per region, like Switzerland has, encourage competition like Switzerland has.

The second you ban hospital monopolies and cartels, the cost of medical care drops 30% to 60%.

The second the cost of medical care drops 30% to 60%, the cost of health plan coverage drops 30% to 60%.

The second you repeal federal and state laws banning clinics and polyclinics, healthcare will shift from the antiquated costly ineffective and inefficient Hospital Model to the modern, inexpensive, highly effective and highly efficient Clinic and Polyclinic Model like Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands, France, Belgium, Poland, Romania, Hungaria, Austria, Norway, Denmark and Finland use.

That will reduce medical costs another 10% to 30% and in turn reduces the cost of health plan coverage another 10% to 30%.

After you've done those things, come talk to us about "Medicare-for-All."

All THE ABOVE with insurance being completely portable from state to state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies