U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 06:00 PM

4,422 posts, read 869,355 times

Advertisements

Wow, my home state of AZ spends $8003 a student making us the 4th lowest state in the nation for spending per student? Glad I live in AZ, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 06:04 PM

24,759 posts, read 9,640,166 times
Team Red likes its armed robbers to be efficient with the subsequent unscrupulous booty.

Stockholm Syndrome 2.0.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:06 PM

23,058 posts, read 12,277,718 times
Kind of an obvious question -- were the dollar values adjusted for the differences in the cost of living.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:19 PM

51,857 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Isn't that like comparing the cost in a high cost of living state vs a low cost state?
Of course it will be higher in NY.

You can get a job at McDonald's in Alabama for 7 bucks an hour or in NY for 15 bucks an hour.
Which is better for the worker?
It is a moot point...
Excellent point.

Same point I make when people start talking about a national $15 minimum wage.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:26 PM

7,130 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.governing.com/topics/edu...enue-data.html

https://www.nationsreportcard.gov/pr...MN&year=2017R3

287 average math score in Utah vs 282 in NY and 277 in California.

NY spends $23,000 per-pupil, DC spends $21,000 and Utah spends $7,100 yet Utah has much higher test scores.

Looks like Utah has much better education systems, despite spending less than one-third of the amount per pupil.

With the emphasis on STEM these days, Utah students seem to much, much prepared than New York while they spend a third of the price per student.

California spends 50% more per student than Arizona, yet Arizona has much, much higher test scores. ($12,000 per student in California, compared to $8,000 in Arizona)
You are looking at just one of the ways the Party here in New York State buys votes. Overly generous pensions and other benefits, early retirement in your 50s and other benefits you could never get in the private sector, helps to guarantee middle class votes, in this case - teachers, for the Party.

The Party got away for it for a long time because New York is a wealthy state and there was a lot of tax money to burn. But I think the chickens are starting to come home to roost.

However, I think the first state to face full blown Venezuelization will be Illinois and not New York.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:37 PM

7,130 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
That and they don't have NY values. Where its... throw money at it, that will fix it because an administrator rubs elbows with a legislator/state .gov lackey.

When I hear things like... we need more funding and teacher are barely getting by...
Knowing 3 public educators in NY state with less than 5 years in clearing 70k...
It isn't the teachers not earning a livable/sustainable wage... even if that were the case?
And funds were allotted to staff wages?
It would be peanuts in comparison to what the administrators take...

That's NY values.
Know a lackey in state .gov? License to print money. For a good cause of course... it's always a good cause... gotta appeal to the feelz afterall...
I have no problem with teachers making good money. You want the people teaching our kids to make good money. The problem is not the salaries in my opinion, its the benefits that need to be worked on.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:40 PM

7,056 posts, read 1,773,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
True about New York state.

Even so, Id rather live in secular NY then ultra-religious UT. I dont want people voting for things just because they think god demands it.

After living in both an area predominantly LDS and also a liberal "secular" area religious activism is less annoying and intrusive than liberal activism. And I am an atheist.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 2,198,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have no problem with teachers making good money. You want the people teaching our kids to make good money. The problem is not the salaries in my opinion, its the benefits that need to be worked on.
70k for not even a full years worth of work? And benefits need improving? ROFL! Get outta here with that nonsense.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:44 PM

3,762 posts, read 3,800,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.governing.com/topics/edu...enue-data.html

https://www.nationsreportcard.gov/pr...MN&year=2017R3

287 average math score in Utah vs 282 in NY and 277 in California.

NY spends $23,000 per-pupil, DC spends $21,000 and Utah spends $7,100 yet Utah has much higher test scores.

Looks like Utah has much better education systems, despite spending less than one-third of the amount per pupil.

With the emphasis on STEM these days, Utah students seem to much, much prepared than New York while they spend a third of the price per student.

California spends 50% more per student than Arizona, yet Arizona has much, much higher test scores. ($12,000 per student in California, compared to $8,000 in Arizona)

Impossible to compare spending without normalizing for cost of living. A teacher making $125,000 in NYC is going to feel poorer than a teacher in Utah making $75,000. So of course costs per pupil in NYC will be higher than Utah. But hey, if the data still support the notion that Utah is doing something better for cheaper, by all means share the secret sauce. Much of NY educational spending is spent on its most concentrated population center of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or