U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 04:23 PM

5,495 posts, read 2,328,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I seem to remember a certain First Lady who had a healthy eating initiative for kids, as well as a garden that she invited kids in to tend. I believe she was behind getting rid of a lot of the snack machines and soda machines in grade schools and getting kids to have better food choices, but I also seem to remember the outrage this brought forth by conservatives, who yelled "Nanny State!" and other such nonsense.

So now the snack machines and soda machines are back, and kids keep getting fatter than ever.

Thanks for nothing, Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 04:31 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,255,517 times
This is a fake photo.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:51 PM

10,717 posts, read 4,419,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I'm not a big fan of studies that rely on BMI...

Top 10 Reasons Why The BMI Is Bogus
BMI is just the quickest, easiest way to assess obesity, and it's accurate in the vast majority of cases. Very few of us are actually so muscular that our BMI is high without an excess of fat.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:51 PM

2,972 posts, read 4,077,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
This is a fake photo.
Might be fake....but

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...sort":"asc"%7D

But obesity rates are MUCH higher for hispanic and blacks than for whites. Given that most of the immigration into this country has been from hispanic countries you would expect obesity rates to be increasing significantly in the US.

On a similar note I did see a study that showed that average height in the US has dropped by an inch over almost the same time period primarily due to hispanic migration into the US.

I guess the blessing is........

I remember an interview with an Indian that was trying to immigrate to the US. The interviewer asked him why he wanted to live in the US.

He reply was simple and to the point..."I want to live in a country where the poor people are fat".

Old 06-08-2019, 04:53 PM

20,195 posts, read 12,105,285 times
I agree we are stressed out of our minds with this political climate -and overeat!

Old 06-08-2019, 04:57 PM

16,440 posts, read 16,539,969 times
The ONE fat kid in my grade-school was not as fat as many of the "normal" kids I see today.

It is a whole host of things, such as parents do care to feed their kids healthy foods, because they are fat and eat a diet of junk themselves.

These really little kids, gack, already obese, WTH!?!?!?!?!

Old 06-08-2019, 05:10 PM

3,414 posts, read 3,179,719 times
What I wonder is, why donít people seem to care about being fat? If my weight goes up 5 pounds I fast until it is back to where it should be. But everywhere I go I see young people in their 20s and 30s very overweight, if not obese. And they seem fine with it. When did being overweight become the norm?

Old 06-08-2019, 05:15 PM

2,995 posts, read 1,640,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Obesity is our national crisis and is our embarrassment....

I rarely agree with you but I agree with you 100% on this.....

Old 06-08-2019, 05:53 PM

3,469 posts, read 951,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
BMI is just the quickest, easiest way to assess obesity, and it's accurate in the vast majority of cases. Very few of us are actually so muscular that our BMI is high without an excess of fat.
Accurate as far as what? As I posted in this thread, a study showed half of the people deemed overweight were actually just fine health wise, as were millions of obese folks, while on the other hand millions deemed normal by BMI were unhealthy....so it's faulty for assessing the status accurately of anyone.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:01 PM

10,717 posts, read 4,419,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Accurate as far as what?
...indicating if someone is obese, or not.

Quote:
As I posted in this thread, a study showed half of the people deemed overweight were actually just fine health wise, as were millions of obese folks, while on the other hand millions deemed normal by BMI were unhealthy....so it's faulty for assessing the status accurately of anyone.
This is true of course. Being obese doesn't necessarily mean anyone has other health problems. But the tendency is there. As a group, obese people are much less healthy than non-obese people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or