U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 06:08 PM

13,712 posts, read 5,524,666 times

Advertisements

Obesity is good for business.

Junk food is addictive, so that’s good for the food industry. All of the resulting health problems are good for our for-profit healthcare system. The fact that people are dependent on their employer is also good for business, because it means that employers have more leverage over their employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 06:24 PM

51,945 posts, read 41,806,773 times
I'm surprised we haven't seen a thread titled something like "Before Trump came to office 10% of Americans were obese and now it's 40%"

Old 06-08-2019, 06:34 PM

14,699 posts, read 8,490,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/download...rends_2010.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

Amazing, how trendy obesity has become. I have to laugh when people suggest "Medicare for All" when there is such shocking obesity.

The only way we could ever have "Universal Health Care" is if obesity went close to zero and every one ate exclusively a healthy diet and those that can worked out constantly.

Many of the 40% will be graduating on into morbid obesity very quickly. Which means many chronic ailments per person. Many obese young adults today likely won't be able to work in a decade as they graduate into morbid obesity and have to go to appointments every other day.

Many people in their 20s and 30s can hardly walk not because of disability, but because of their obesity.

How the heck can the country afford a universal health care system when 40% plus of people are racing as fast as they can to have chronic ailments that last decades.

I remember seeing pictures of people a hundred years ago in history books and the average American looked like a supermodel, compared to the majority today.

In a generation basically go from 18 states where less than 1 in 10 is obese, to 40% obesity across the entire nation.
Didn't you post an identical thread a few days ago? You even used the same sentence I bolded.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:43 PM

7,129 posts, read 1,789,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I'm not a big fan of studies that rely on BMI...

Top 10 Reasons Why The BMI Is Bogus

People are getting fatter and fatter. Just look around, you don't need a study to validate that.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:50 PM

21,573 posts, read 14,366,558 times
Well, when you have a President who invites sports teams to the White House and serves them cheeseburgers and fries, it is kind of representative of the Trump base, whose idea of dining out is visiting the drive-thru.

Ever seen a Tea Party rally? It's like going whale watching.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:03 AM

10,615 posts, read 2,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I agree BMI is not accurate. It doesn't account for muscle, age or waist size. ABSI is much more accurate and should replace BMI.

https://www.mytecbits.com/tools/medi...ator#risklevel
I realize there is alot of back and forth debate on causes of obesity, but I truly believe everyone KNOWS why they are obese, they KNOW what they are eating or drinking, that is causing this...they just do not want to stop consuming, its almost like an addiction.

As Ive explained before, about the gas station/ convenience store fountain drinks,( 52oz and 64oz larges) imo, this was planned, all these stores didnt just double their drink sizes over the course of about 10-15 years! The strange part about this, back when a large was a 32 oz, the price was the same as it is today, for a 64 oz large...99 cents.???

How much sense does that make? LOL

Ive been wanting to try a little experiment, and ask our fountain drink suppliers if they offer a 72oz or 84 oz fountain cup...the larger 52 and 64 oz sizes have been out for a few years now, so if the trend continues, the sizes should be going up again soon, Im just curious to hear how the cup manufacturer responds to the request, I think they will probably say, they do not offer them right now, but they are coming.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:35 AM

10,739 posts, read 4,429,847 times
There something about processed foods that make people want to overeat.

Quote:
Twenty volunteers were placed into a metabolic lab for 4 weeks. There, all of their meals and snacks were provided for them. For a 2-week period (chosen at random) they would get an ultra-processed diet. The other 2 weeks, they would get an unprocessed diet.

Everyone was given roughly twice the amount of calories they needed to stay in energy balance and told simply to eat at will—eat what they want. The dietitians had their work cut out for them, but they matched the presented food in terms of calorie content, macronutrient content, salt, and even energy density.
With the options on the table, participants ate.

And in the case of ultra-processed food, they ate some more. On average, they ate around 500 calories/day more than they did when presented with an unprocessed diet.
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle...VlPm112jU2sHP4

Old 06-09-2019, 12:36 AM

4,516 posts, read 889,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm surprised we haven't seen a thread titled something like "Before Trump came to office 10% of Americans were obese and now it's 40%"
Why only 40%?

Old 06-09-2019, 12:45 AM

21,573 posts, read 14,366,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There something about processed foods that make people want to overeat.
Processed food is "empty calories", they don't make you full, and why would the producers want you full? You'll stop eating, and that is less profit from sales.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:46 AM

4,407 posts, read 5,590,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/download...rends_2010.pdf

The only way we could ever have "Universal Health Care" is if obesity went close to zero and every one ate exclusively a healthy diet and those that can worked out constantly.
I don't know why having Universal Health Care is dependent on everyone losing weight. People very often need health care when they are NOT healthy. Part of the role of medical care is prevention and encouraging healthy lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or