U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 01:28 PM

9,336 posts, read 4,243,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/download...rends_2010.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

Amazing, how trendy obesity has become. I have to laugh when people suggest "Medicare for All" when there is such shocking obesity.

The only way we could ever have "Universal Health Care" is if obesity went close to zero and every one ate exclusively a healthy diet and those that can worked out constantly.

Many of the 40% will be graduating on into morbid obesity very quickly. Which means many chronic ailments per person. Many obese young adults today likely won't be able to work in a decade as they graduate into morbid obesity and have to go to appointments every other day.

Many people in their 20s and 30s can hardly walk not because of disability, but because of their obesity.

How the heck can the country afford a universal health care system when 40% plus of people are racing as fast as they can to have chronic ailments that last decades.

I remember seeing pictures of people a hundred years ago in history books and the average American looked like a supermodel, compared to the majority today.

In a generation basically go from 18 states where less than 1 in 10 is obese, to 40% obesity across the entire nation.
Republicans vehemently oppose restrictions on high-calorie food and drinks. They oppose efforts to curb childhood obesity and efforts to educated consumers on what they are eating. Republicans oppose urban planning that encourages walking over driving. The worst states for obesity are Republican states. I blame the Republican Party for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Status: "You showed me mercy and all I can do is say Thank You." (set 19 days ago)

1,481 posts, read 292,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Funny how my nephew I mentioned in my previous post is only 10 pounds lighter (same height) but in far better shape than Trump is! There's literally no comparison.

Using the BMI, all body builders would be considered obese. BMI is an invention of insurance companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republicans vehemently oppose restrictions on high-calorie food and drinks. They oppose efforts to curb childhood obesity and efforts to educated consumers on what they are eating. Republicans oppose urban planning that encourages walking over driving. The worst states for obesity are Republican states. I blame the Republican Party for this.
I know right! If there's anything wrong, no matter what the facts are, it's the Republicans fault!

SO SAD

Old 06-09-2019, 01:34 PM

18,923 posts, read 7,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Using the BMI, all body builders would be considered obese. BMI is an invention of insurance companies.
Exactly, body fat percentage is more indicative and accurate. Healthy men shouldn't be over 20% body fat (27% for women)

Old 06-09-2019, 01:47 PM

8,109 posts, read 4,456,074 times
Everyone has a choice, actually many choices they can make. Perhaps the failure is not personal, though I strongly question that; but mores the diminution, even loss of the classical education model, which equips folks with the tools with which to make, (your pick among the following), smart, wise, good choices.

Your response while reasonable is a scapegoat for individual responsibility. There are other food choices. They just take effort and understanding.

Quote:
The reason is that all of our food has been screwed with! Changed biologically and far more foods are being processed. When you remove nutritional value you are left with garbage. Rats get fat eating garbage.

The other component is the sedimentary lifestyle much of our young people have. They sit in front of a computer or gaming console for hours a day.

Combine the bad diet with sloth and you get obesity problems, along with diabetes and heart disease.

It's easy to find that these problems began skyrocketing within just a few years of GMOs hitting the markets.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:51 PM

8,109 posts, read 4,456,074 times
Ugh, the fat cris hardly began with our current president, or a political group. Leave the snark at the door. If capable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Well, when you have a President who invites sports teams to the White House and serves them cheeseburgers and fries, it is kind of representative of the Trump base, whose idea of dining out is visiting the drive-thru.

Ever seen a Tea Party rally? It's like going whale watching.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:16 PM

1,535 posts, read 317,481 times
Quote:
I would agree with you that animal fats are much lower in trans-fats. Pork lard is actually healthier than butter which is healthier than margarine. Margarine certainly helped add to the problem when in the 60s and 70s the margarine companies convinced people that their product was healthier than butter, which is as bad as tobacco companies claiming that smoking was healthy.

The point I was making about GMOs was the rise of diseases. The curve may have begun to rise for obesity in the 70s, however, it has spiked since the late 90s. Also, since the late 90s diabetes, which has always related to obesity, tripled per capita in just 20 years. THAT is not normal and correlates with GMOs.

People have woke to this fact. Companies are starting to use non-GMO grains, farmers are starting to go back to traditional farming and using heirloom seeds because roundup ready seeds are starting to fail.

Also, there are many pending lawsuits against the Monsanto and DuPont because their poison in now found in 75% of us. They have spoiled our land. They might as well have dumped that poison in our waterways. They turned our farmlands into supersites.

The following are just some of the health effects of glyphosate, all of which are known to increase cancer risk. Glyphosate:
  1. Damages the DNA
  2. Is an antibiotic
  3. Promotes leaky gut
  4. Chelates minerals, making them unavailable
  5. Is toxic to the mitochondria
  6. Interferes with key metabolic pathways
  7. Causes non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
  8. Degrades into Sarcosine and formaldehyde
These side-effects and diseases will cause obesity to skyrocket.

https://responsibletechnology.org/gmos-and-cancer/

I hope these companies are sued out of existence. I don't know how many decades it will take to clean up their mess, if at all.
I wasn't trying to down play how bad GMO's are. I know they are really bad for the environment and causes diseases. I was saying I don't think they are big contributers to obesity.

To me the biggest culprit are highly industrialized fats, oil and margarine, which are added to most foods.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:16 PM

3,784 posts, read 2,058,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Well, when you have a President who invites sports teams to the White House and serves them cheeseburgers and fries, it is kind of representative of the Trump base, whose idea of dining out is visiting the drive-thru.

Ever seen a Tea Party rally? It's like going whale watching.
Not just the Tea party.
Visit any Mediterranean country and see how few obese teenagers there are.
Then look around you in America.
You eat crap,you look crap.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:32 PM

1,535 posts, read 317,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Interesting. I have a nephew whose BMI puts him in the "overweight" category, just under obese, at 6'3 and 220 pounds. That gives him a BMI of 27.5.

He's also a multi-sport athlete, football and both indoor and outdoor track and field. He also mountain bikes and Nordic skis (he used to be a competitive skier) on a recreational basis and competes in local road races.

So... he should pay more, why? He's in shape already, and a lot of that 220 is muscle mass.

Found a photo of him receiving the Student Council sports award at his high school sports banquet from the other day. Yep... real overweight, isn't he?

https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...dent-athletes/
BMI = weight (kg) height^2 (m^2)

I don't understand why height square. Probably just something arbitrary. Being within the 'normal' range makes you skinny.

Old Today, 12:42 PM
Status: "You showed me mercy and all I can do is say Thank You." (set 19 days ago)

1,481 posts, read 292,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Everyone has a choice, actually many choices they can make. Perhaps the failure is not personal, though I strongly question that; but mores the diminution, even loss of the classical education model, which equips folks with the tools with which to make, (your pick among the following), smart, wise, good choices.

Your response while reasonable is a scapegoat for individual responsibility. There are other food choices. They just take effort and understanding.
My response was not a scapegoat for anyone. Personal choice is very important. I rail against people who show no ability to use common sense.

Now, let me clarify why I blame GMOs as the primary cause of obesity and diseases such as diabetes and gastro-intestinal issues such as crones and reflux.

Why are the BIG food producers and grocery chains spending hundreds of millions to fight GMO labeling? They spent $50M alone in CA when the GMO label bill came up claiming that printing it on the packages would cost consumers $1B yr. They scared them into voting down the proposition with BS and scare tactics. Changing the print on packaging cost literally nothing.

What it would have done is made it easier for those who ignore ingredient labeling to make a better choice.

SO, please do not say it is just a scapegoat when it is a fact that food companies want to keep people ignorant about making healthy choices. This is just like HFCS. As soon as people started avoiding buying anything with it the food companies started using real sugar again.

How sad is it when companies boast how they use REAL SUGAR? Funny how they can print that on the labels and it isn't costing us a dime!

How bad are the sweeteners these companies use that sugar is eluded to as being healthy?

Our food chain has been hijacked by money-hungry profits above everything morons. These companies have to be held accountable to provide healthier food and certainly to label the foods that are crap as being crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Not just the Tea party.
Visit any Mediterranean country and see how few obese teenagers there are.
Then look around you in America.
You eat crap,you look crap.
EXACTLY!!!

Old Today, 01:05 PM

32,864 posts, read 16,815,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In his prime, Mike Tyson was considered obese.

BMI is a very simple measurement. While it takes height into consideration, it does not account for factors such as:

waist or hip measurements
proportion or distribution of fat
proportion of muscle mass
These, too, can have an impact on health.

High-performance athletes, for example, tend to be very fit and have little body fat. They can have a high BMI because they have more muscle mass, but this does not mean they are overweight.
BMI is a horrible metric for individuals, but quite useful for cohorts. Mike Tyson is an outlier? Quelle surprise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or