U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 01:50 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,633,586 times

Advertisements

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/download...rends_2010.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

Amazing, how trendy obesity has become. I have to laugh when people suggest "Medicare for All" when there is such shocking obesity.

The only way we could ever have "Universal Health Care" is if obesity went close to zero and every one ate exclusively a healthy diet and those that can worked out constantly.

Many of the 40% will be graduating on into morbid obesity very quickly. Which means many chronic ailments per person. Many obese young adults today likely won't be able to work in a decade as they graduate into morbid obesity and have to go to appointments every other day.

Many people in their 20s and 30s can hardly walk not because of disability, but because of their obesity.

How the heck can the country afford a universal health care system when 40% plus of people are racing as fast as they can to have chronic ailments that last decades.

I remember seeing pictures of people a hundred years ago in history books and the average American looked like a supermodel, compared to the majority today.

In a generation basically go from 18 states where less than 1 in 10 is obese, to 40% obesity across the entire nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 01:56 PM

1,409 posts, read 271,655 times
The reason is that all of our food has been screwed with! Changed biologically and far more foods are being processed. When you remove nutritional value you are left with garbage. Rats get fat eating garbage.

The other component is the sedimentary lifestyle much of our young people have. They sit in front of a computer or gaming console for hours a day.

Combine the bad diet with sloth and you get obesity problems, along with diabetes and heart disease.

It's easy to find that these problems began skyrocketing within just a few years of GMOs hitting the markets.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:16 PM

18,536 posts, read 9,580,194 times
Obesity is our national crisis and is our embarrassment....

Old 06-08-2019, 02:24 PM

4,989 posts, read 2,007,399 times
I'm not a big fan of studies that rely on BMI...

Top 10 Reasons Why The BMI Is Bogus

Old 06-08-2019, 02:33 PM

17,177 posts, read 13,727,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post

Interesting -it was an insurance company that insisted on applying the formula to me, when applying for a loan not so long ago -I'm obese on BMI, but was assessed as moderately low body fat by a doctor, when I tried to circumvent (unsuccessfully)the higher premiums insisted on by the insurance company.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:38 PM

11,847 posts, read 8,251,936 times
Of course people are getting fatter due to an easier lifestyle and junk food.

There are even TV shows about fat people losing weight. My wife watches "My 600 pound life" and it is really crazy how many people are morbidly obese. It really is a triumph when someone changes their lifestyle and loses hundreds of pounds but gosh putting on that much weight in the first place has to be like a job.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:51 PM

1,485 posts, read 303,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
The reason is that all of our food has been screwed with! Changed biologically and far more foods are being processed. When you remove nutritional value you are left with garbage. Rats get fat eating garbage.

The other component is the sedimentary lifestyle much of our young people have. They sit in front of a computer or gaming console for hours a day.

Combine the bad diet with sloth and you get obesity problems, along with diabetes and heart disease.

It's easy to find that these problems began skyrocketing within just a few years of GMOs hitting the markets.
GMO's crops became widespread in the mid 90's. I was checking obesity graphs and most seem to show that the obesity problem started in the 70's.

The most recent change in diet at the time was a switch from animals to "vegetable" fat, should be called grains fat. These fats are so industrialized that you can put it in a diesel motor and it will run just fine. I believe it is the main culprit.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:31 PM

3,497 posts, read 954,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post

Yup. BMI sucks for a lot of reasons. Also, comparing 1986 levels to now is flawed since :

"In 1998, the National Institutes of Health lowered the overweight threshold for BMI 27.8 to 25 to match international guidelines. The move added 30 million Americans who were previously in the "healthy weight" category to the "overweight" category."

https://health.howstuffworks.com/wel...-loss/bmi4.htm

So you would have to adjust 1986 levels to have the same threshold for a more accurate comparison of the BMI levels.

People 100 years ago didn't have all of the modern conveniences that allow us to not have to put out as much physical exertion. Just as one small example....I don't have to fill and lug a tub of water and scrub clothes, then haul them outside and put them onto a clothesline; I can just pop them in the washing machine and dryer.

Many jobs are less physical and processed foods are cheap. So many factors contributing to this all. It's not surprising things are heading this way, all things considered.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:50 PM

5,511 posts, read 2,333,143 times
Neither party has had the guts to go after the obese. The obese vote is just too big, figuratively and literally.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:54 PM

3,497 posts, read 954,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Neither party has had the guts to go after the obese. The obese vote is just too big, figuratively and literally.
How would either party "go after the obese"? How would you propose solving this problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or