U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2019, 09:08 PM
 
4,539 posts, read 891,849 times
Reputation: 1911

Advertisements

Words used by the Left that the right would call racist or sexist should also be censored, if we are to be equal and consistent!

 
Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 PM
 
4,539 posts, read 891,849 times
Reputation: 1911
Sure, FB is free to regulate how they see fit! However, let's take a look at this scenario: Say a person says something "Our copyright terms last too long!" It was the opening post for a thread or a response to copyright duration. Either someone else flags it as racist or the FB auto-mod detects it as inappropriate, one might think you should tell FB "Looks like you messed up! It didn't violate any rules!"

By the same token, if FB violates 1 of its own ToS points, how do we hold them accountable?
 
Old 06-10-2019, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,341 posts, read 15,790,881 times
Reputation: 9877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I personally loved his song Huka Huka Huka Honky Love more so than Cool Cocky Bad like everyone else. But yeah, this is fake news. My status test from 18 minutes ago is STILL up.
In an update, my post where I said HONK, well it is still up after two hours so either I'm not big enough to ban or this far right outlet is entirely wrong. I'm tempted to say wrong because it is listed as a questionable source according to factcheck.
 
Old 06-10-2019, 11:11 PM
 
8,245 posts, read 2,436,930 times
Reputation: 5745
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'm surprised that given all the "stable genius" conservatives, they haven't come up with their own version of Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, ...
There's no way to do it. The Left is too cohesive and powerful allow such competition to exist.
 
Old 06-10-2019, 11:12 PM
 
8,245 posts, read 2,436,930 times
Reputation: 5745
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
In an update, my post where I said HONK, well it is still up after two hours so either I'm not big enough to ban or this far right outlet is entirely wrong. I'm tempted to say wrong because it is listed as a questionable source according to factcheck.
Factcheck is about as "questionable" a source as one can find.
 
Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 AM
 
3,123 posts, read 2,704,092 times
Reputation: 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No but they think a business owner can discriminate for whatever reason as a private entity. Perhaps I could have worded that better. However, Facebook isn't a monopoly. There are other forms of social media like Twitter, 4Chan, etc. Is Facebook the largest, without a doubt, but that don't make it a monopoly. YouTube isn't the only video platform on the internet either, it is simply the preferred and largest. DailyMotion has similar content. This don't make YouTube a monopoly. A monopoly controls the supply and demand of an industry, this isn't the case even with those complaining about the Walt Disney Company buying 21st Century Fox.
I should have worded myself better, its a cartell. You can leave to other platforms, but all of the big ones have similar interest. Normally they try to work somewhat independently, but when they banned Alex Jones they all went together and banned him at the same time. He is a nutcase, so I guess they didn't think people would notice.

There exist tiny alternatives, but that is like saying there exists other forms of transports other than taxi during the NYC taxi cartell. It is still a cartell.


Quote:
Who is saying liberals are banning these payments? Sounds to me like a strawman if not an exaggeration that liberal leaning companies or moderate companies are not supporting the far right.
This has nothing to do with TOS. If this was about people just breaking the rules, they would make it very clear what rule they breached. Instead they just say they are dangerous individuals, or they are damaging the community. Also Facebook deboost, Twitter shadow ban, and Youtubes restriction in reccomendation are done without telling the affected users.

But you are right, it is also coming from the traditional right who doesn't want to lose votes. In Europe many of the right wing parties has started to try to outcompete the left on social issues. Thats why people vote for alternative parties. In America they still try to show conservative credentials, but Republicans don't trust them because they only seem to care about giving tax breaks to their rich friends. This is not what ordinary right wing voters want, and they vote for alternatives like Trump or the Brexit Party. The censorship is targeted towards these alternatives.

Many of the companies do lean left, but that is not why they do it. It is coming from powerful forces that force companies to censor. For instance Vox targeted advertisers of Youtube and forced them to demonitize Youtubers and one time Patreon admitted they banned someone because Mastercard asked them to do so. When they later banned severall right wing figures, they said that global payment providers like Visa and Mastercard have rules that they must follow. I highly doubt Visa and Mastercard care about some youtubers, so there is probably another layer who is forcing them to act.

European Politicans often have meetings with Facebook and Youtube where they tell them what to censor. They also told them that if they don't censor, then they will force them by law. In the United States there is a lot of money in politics. Politicans don't just get money from coorporations, they also get influence. Its not a far stretch to assume that US politicans and government funded interest groups have similar meeting with coorporations.


Quote:
A country blocking websites is another thing altogether. Now unless there is a question of illegality,I don't see the reason to do this. Just ban the idiots who break TOS for whatever (hate speech, posting nudes, bullying, inciting riots, etc.)
Actually in Australia and New Zealand it wasn't the government who banned the websites, it was the ISP. They claimed they blocked the websites voluntarily, so the "private business can do whatever they want" argument was used. Liberals will demand the same in the US, when they start to fear alt-tech, because the goal of censorship is to silence people.

Quote:
So long as said private business isn't having it based on protective classes.
We can always change what we consider to be protective classes. In my opinion, political opinions should also be a protective class. If you run a bathhouse, you should not be able to have a sign that says "no gays", and you should also not be allowed to have a sign that says "No democrats".

That is just how I think a civilized society should work.

Last edited by Camlon; 06-11-2019 at 02:16 AM..
 
Old 06-11-2019, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,341 posts, read 15,790,881 times
Reputation: 9877
To act like it it is anything but conservatives getting put in time out by the companies for breaking their TOS is quite honestly being ignorant whether intentionally or not to the facts. If you break the rules on snot website, you face restrictions. I have been nodded on here and sometimes I feel it is in fact unwarranted or unfair considering othemarts that's not deleted whether it is about me or not, yet when I do it and often mocking the right, I am modded whether I receive an infraction or see my pest partially or entirely deleted, if not a ban.
 
Old 06-11-2019, 09:42 AM
 
3,123 posts, read 2,704,092 times
Reputation: 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
To act like it it is anything but conservatives getting put in time out by the companies for breaking their TOS is quite honestly being ignorant whether intentionally or not to the facts. If you break the rules on snot website, you face restrictions. I have been nodded on here and sometimes I feel it is in fact unwarranted or unfair considering othemarts that's not deleted whether it is about me or not, yet when I do it and often mocking the right, I am modded whether I receive an infraction or see my pest partially or entirely deleted, if not a ban.
You can't compare City Data with what is happening on social media. When you get an infraction here you will be informed which post that broke the rule and you will only be banned if you break the rules multiple times. That is also how social media worked in the past, but things have changed.

If City Data was going to work like Facebook, then one day your account would suddenly be permanently banned because your posts are considered hateful, and if anyone links to the content you make they will also be banned. In addition severall users will experience that their posts are hidden to other users.

Last edited by Camlon; 06-11-2019 at 09:53 AM..
 
Old 06-11-2019, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,078 posts, read 34,350,819 times
Reputation: 10477
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
Anyone who trolls the FB mods will pay probably the price.

This "conservative Marine" is just playing the victim.
 
Old 06-11-2019, 09:50 AM
 
8,245 posts, read 2,436,930 times
Reputation: 5745
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
We're saying they have terms of service you agree to when you sign up. If you don't like it, use a different service. Their platform, their rules. Your "freedom of speech" notion is 100% irrelevant.
Baloney. Facebook doesn't follow its own terms of service in many instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top