U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 07:01 PM

1,641 posts, read 573,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
According to the Democrat Party life on earth will end in 12 years unless we do something about global warming. Right now, they are blaming President Trump for doing nothing. OK.

Back in 1973, I was living and Canada and the Arab countries decided to quit shipping oil to the US. I needed to drive from Vancouver to San Francisco a couple of weeks after the boycott started.

The THREE Republican Governors, Washington(Evans), Oregon(McCall), California(Reagan), immediately lowered the speed limit to 55 MPH to save gas. Evans in Washington dropped it to 50 MPH, but later raised it back to 55 MPH. They also ordered that streetlights be shut off after 10:00?? pm and all businesses were to shut their outside lights and signs when closed.

It was weird driving down I-5 with only an odd business sign lit, and all the streetlights off. We as college students, drove all night long. But it was I thought a appropriate response by the Governors to an emergency.

So here we are almost 50 years later. This time talking about life on the planet ending in 12 years. The Democrats say they want to impose TAXES to save the planet. Well, instead of taxes how about 55 MPH. The amount of CO2 generate by vehicles is significantly less at 55 MPH and transportation is a MAJOR contributor to C02 generation.

Washington, Oregon and California are very, very liberal states these days committed to combating global climate change. One Governor, Inslee is running for President on this issue alone. He is that committed to reducing C02.

Ah, but there is President Trump. EXCEPT speed limits are set by the states, not the Federal Government. Just like in 1973, we can have 55 MPH speed limits on I-5, with the streetlights off, OVERNIGHT.

All we need is for the three Democrat governors to commit to saving the planet and dropping the speed limit to 55 MPH......TOMORROW or AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

If you live in one of these states.....write the Governors and ask them to SAVE THE PLANET...SPEED LIMIT 55.
NO NO NO- 55 MPH is nothing but a huge money maker for unscrupulous municipalities who create endless speed traps to ensnare the lead footed drivers. I don't EVER want to go back to those days again.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 07:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 2,208,622 times
Quote:
According to the Democrat Party life on earth will end in 12 years unless we do something about global warming. Right now, they are blaming President Trump for doing nothing. OK.

Back in 1973, I was living and Canada and the Arab countries decided to quit shipping oil to the US. I needed to drive from Vancouver to San Francisco a couple of weeks after the boycott started.

The THREE Republican Governors, Washington(Evans), Oregon(McCall), California(Reagan), immediately lowered the speed limit to 55 MPH to save gas. Evans in Washington dropped it to 50 MPH, but later raised it back to 55 MPH. They also ordered that streetlights be shut off after 10:00?? pm and all businesses were to shut their outside lights and signs when closed.

It was weird driving down I-5 with only an odd business sign lit, and all the streetlights off. We as college students, drove all night long. But it was I thought a appropriate response by the Governors to an emergency.

So here we are almost 50 years later. This time talking about life on the planet ending in 12 years. The Democrats say they want to impose TAXES to save the planet. Well, instead of taxes how about 55 MPH. The amount of CO2 generate by vehicles is significantly less at 55 MPH and transportation is a MAJOR contributor to C02 generation.

Washington, Oregon and California are very, very liberal states these days committed to combating global climate change. One Governor, Inslee is running for President on this issue alone. He is that committed to reducing C02.

Ah, but there is President Trump. EXCEPT speed limits are set by the states, not the Federal Government. Just like in 1973, we can have 55 MPH speed limits on I-5, with the streetlights off, OVERNIGHT.

All we need is for the three Democrat governors to commit to saving the planet and dropping the speed limit to 55 MPH......TOMORROW or AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

If you live in one of these states.....write the Governors and ask them to SAVE THE PLANET...SPEED LIMIT 55.
You gone learn today.

A vehicle. Any vehicle. Has a specific speed at which it is most fuel efficient.
For example. My old 3.8 supercharged Riviera used to get the best MPGs at 70-75mph.
One of my Cadillacs was 67mph exact.

My half ton-78mph-82. 85mph+ it remains in V8 mode. 4cyl mode engages and I'm cruising right along getting 28-30mpg.
My duramax used to get 18 at best doing 72.
After that emissions crap was thrown out and tuned it now gets 27. That's with the lift and everything.

Every vehicle has its own unique body design and aerodynamics.
Lowering the speed to 55 will not be beneficial for all. Non drivers and the state revenue generators? Absolutely.
The faster one goes, combined with a properly designed intake system and exhaust, the more efficient the vehicle becomes, typically. Cool the air make it denser watch emissions drop, power increase, as you are getting a more complete combustion.

55mph? ROFL

Old 06-08-2019, 07:36 PM

9,622 posts, read 4,612,445 times
Quote:
Not even to save the planet??

Driving 50 MPH will reduce CO2 emissions by 30%.

https://www.wired.com/2010/06/50-mph...urb-emissions/

From the European Environmental Agency

https://www.eea.europa.eu/themes/transport/speed-limits

Transport is the only sector whose greenhouse emissions increased between 1990 and 2008. Transport’s total GHG output rose 25 % in the 32 EEA member countries (this excludes the international maritime and aviation sectors), accounting for 19.5 % of total emissions. CO2 is the main component of transport greenhouse gas emissions (99 %) and road transport is, in turn, the largest contributor to these emissions (around 94 % in 2008), thus accounting for 18.2% of total emissions.

Really....NEVER AGAIN??
I hope never again.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
The problem with fuel efficiency is simple physics and the density of air.

We are at the point where cars are very well designed to cut through air. The other variable is weight, but really on the interstates it is about overcoming air density.

For Renewables to work...you need 70% power that you can ramp up quickly....usually natural gas. So even with renewables and electric cars a significant portion of your transportation will emit CO2 and the easiest way to reduce CO2 is drive 55.

You can't do it....just drive 55 MPH and reduce you CO2 footprint.

LOOK IT WAS THE law from 1973 to 1995!!! When President Clinton, decided to go with big oil instead of protecting the earth!!
Wrong. Patently wrong.

Know how I know you've never ever played with a dyno and a 5 gas analyzer?

Old 06-08-2019, 07:46 PM

24,072 posts, read 11,960,336 times
Quote:

In Montana the weather dictates the speed limit. Thus I cruise at 80mph.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:54 PM
509 509 started this thread

3,006 posts, read 4,090,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Wrong. Patently wrong.

Know how I know you've never ever played with a dyno and a 5 gas analyzer?
Did you play with it in a wind tunnel??

Old 06-08-2019, 07:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 19,824,802 times
Liberals only believe global warming when they don't have to do anything...

Old 06-08-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Did you play with it in a wind tunnel??
Sort of. If you consider tuning on the dyno and then taking it down the road and running data logger and taking recordings means wind tunnel...

Old 06-08-2019, 07:58 PM

2,513 posts, read 536,328 times
Quote:
Not even to save the planet??

Really....NEVER AGAIN??
Your kind think it's overpopulated too! Are you planning on helping that one too? Personally?

Old 06-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It wouldn’t reduce CO2 by that much. Do you get dramatically better fuel economy at 55 vs. 65? I don’t.

To make a BIG dent in CO2 emissions, we’d need to switch most electricity generation to nuclear fission and then electrify transportation as much as possible.

There are new nuclear reactor designs that are much safer than traditional designs:

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/08/72072...aper-and-safer
Except you'll increase ozone.
Ozone is a byproduct of electric motors. That's actually poisonous...

What you really want is a way to separate the hydrogen bond from water and run pure hydrogen for fuel in an internal combustion engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or