U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 08:15 PM

1,615 posts, read 414,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Its not.

I can go back and find the citations. IF YOUR CONSERVING OIL, you are GENERATING LESS CO2.

Pretty much it has to do with simple physics and overcoming the dam air that a vehicle must plow through to maintain speed. Above 55 MPH your pushing much more air and consuming much more fuel.

So dropping to 55 MPH does significantly reduce CO2 emissions. I was surprised at how much it really saved.

In Washngton state, Inslee and other Governors have destroyed over 200,000 acres of endangered shrub-steppe habitat in the state. Countless birds are killed every year. Now the Inslee is proposing a carbon tax similar to that in BC, where my diesel was 7.00 dollars a US gallon last month.

Look...I don't want my landscape and birds destroyed by windmills. I don't want to pay SEVEN dollars plus for diesel fuel......but I WILL DRIVE 55.
Look, if you are really serious, sell your car and take public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 08:16 PM
509 509 started this thread

3,006 posts, read 4,090,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Sort of. If you consider tuning on the dyno and then taking it down the road and running data logger and taking recordings means wind tunnel...
That works....

Your half-ton truck gets.....28-30 miles per gallon at 80 miles per hour???

Really, I have owned and driven trucks since 1970. Being a Forester you get LOTS of opportunities to drive trucks!!! All makes and models.

NEVER had one that got over 25 MPG at 55 MPH and that includes a Datsun 1/4 ton with a four cylinder engine. Maybe I was just driving to slow??

A pick-up truck is an ugly design for aerodynamics. Most cars aren't much better.

YOU SPEND lot of fuel getting that air in front of you out of the way. That's why all the studies show huge inprovements in mileage.

However, if your rigs actually get that mileage, be careful that the oil companies don't kill you to keep it secret.....and if you ever head out west stop by.....I have some rigs for you to fix.

I am just getting the sense that everybody wants to save the planet, but nobody wants to do anything themselves. It is always the "other" guy.

What's that line from that country song....."everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die"???

Old 06-08-2019, 08:20 PM

2,513 posts, read 536,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Look, if you are really serious, sell your car and take public transportation.
...and give up all modern conveniences...no iphones, TV, computers, A/C or anything else that needs to burn something to power.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Well, that's exactly what the Democrats are proposing........well, they are actually looking to make it really expensive so the working class folks will HAVE to take public transportation.

Hey, I would rather drive my truck at 55 MPH and save the planet that way.

Oh....all my computers, lights, heat, etc....all comes from solar (hydro...which is solar due to the water cycle) at my primary home.

At my cabin, I do have to use propane since solar does not generate enough electricity to use for heat.

But I can see that in urban areas, they would probably have to significantly reduce their energy use.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 2,208,622 times
Quote:
That works....

Your half-ton truck gets.....28-30 miles per gallon at 80 miles per hour???

Really, I have owned and driven trucks since 1970. Being a Forester you get LOTS of opportunities to drive trucks!!! All makes and models.

NEVER had one that got over 25 MPG at 55 MPH and that includes a Datsun 1/4 ton with a four cylinder engine. Maybe I was just driving to slow??

A pick-up truck is an ugly design for aerodynamics. Most cars aren't much better.

YOU SPEND lot of fuel getting that air in front of you out of the way. That's way all the studies show huge inprovements in mileage.

However, if your rigs actually get that mileage, be careful that the oil companies don't kill you to keep it secret.....and if you ever head out west stop by.....I have some rigs for you to fix.

I am just getting the sense that everybody wants to save the planet, but nobody wants to do anything themselves. It is always the "other" guy.

What's that line from that country song....."everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die"???

Yawn. Get you a 14+ Silverado or Ram. They get over 25mpg with regularity.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Yawn. Get you a 14+ Silverado or Ram. They get over 25mpg with regularity.
At what speed??

I have a 2010 Ram....it does 19 at 62 MPH on flat land with no wind. That doesn't happen very often out west.

When towing I get 12 mpg at 65 and 14 mpg at 55. AND at 70-75 it is down under 10.

A HUGE percentage difference in CO2 emissions.

Last edited by 509; 06-08-2019 at 08:56 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
At what speed??

I have a 2010 Ram....it does 19 on flat land with no wind. That doesn't happen very often out west.

When towing I get 14 mpg at 65 and 12 mpg at 55
. AND at 70-75 it is down under 10.

A HUGE percentage difference in CO2 emissions.
LOL so why do you want the speed limit 55 if you're getting better gas mileage while towing at 65?

Old 06-08-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
LOL so why do you want the speed limit 55 if you're getting better gas mileage while towing at 65?
thanks for catching the error....you can't repeal the laws of physics, but you can flip em..

Old 06-08-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
thanks for catching the error....you can't repeal the laws of physics, but you can flip em..
I'm going to say this as politely as possible.
You're a boomer. Boomers are not known for any intellect in the automotive industry beyond a carburetor and distributor. Why, back in your day all you needed was a 9/16ths and 5/8ths to do just about anything under the hood.

Gramps. Vehicles and technology have evolved. Manufacturers leave alot of room for improvement by meeting your nanny state and federal regulations.

If it's a discussion on emissions and improvements you want. I'll be glad to provide. And after all is said and done. You'll thank me again for correcting another one of your errors. Which would be seeking a nanny state to impose 55mph.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I'm going to say this as politely as possible.
You're a boomer. Boomers are not known for any intellect in the automotive industry beyond a carburetor and distributor. Why, back in your day all you needed was a 9/16ths and 5/8ths to do just about anything under the hood.

Gramps. Vehicles and technology have evolved. Manufacturers leave alot of room for improvement by meeting your nanny state and federal regulations.

If it's a discussion on emissions and improvements you want. I'll be glad to provide. And after all is said and done. You'll thank me again for correcting another one of your errors. Which would be seeking a nanny state to impose 55mph.
I gave up doing even minor maintenance on vehicles when that 1972 Datsun pick-up got old and I started having more money than time.

Fair enough point on boomers, but I know lots of boomers that can actually do things with their hands. Some of them even have college degrees......However, that is getting to be a really rare breed.

BUT......the choice is between much higher automotive taxes or a 55 MPH speed limit. You know my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or