Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:20 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Since the end game of the global warming kabal is wealth redistribution, there is no way they'd settle for anything other than more taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 10:26 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
According to the Democrat Party life on earth will end in 12 years unless we do something about global warming. Right now, they are blaming President Trump for doing nothing. OK.

Back in 1973, I was living and Canada and the Arab countries decided to quit shipping oil to the US. I needed to drive from Vancouver to San Francisco a couple of weeks after the boycott started.

The THREE Republican Governors, Washington(Evans), Oregon(McCall), California(Reagan), immediately lowered the speed limit to 55 MPH to save gas. Evans in Washington dropped it to 50 MPH, but later raised it back to 55 MPH. They also ordered that streetlights be shut off after 10:00?? pm and all businesses were to shut their outside lights and signs when closed.

It was weird driving down I-5 with only an odd business sign lit, and all the streetlights off. We as college students, drove all night long. But it was I thought a appropriate response by the Governors to an emergency.

So here we are almost 50 years later. This time talking about life on the planet ending in 12 years. The Democrats say they want to impose TAXES to save the planet. Well, instead of taxes how about 55 MPH. The amount of CO2 generate by vehicles is significantly less at 55 MPH and transportation is a MAJOR contributor to C02 generation.

Washington, Oregon and California are very, very liberal states these days committed to combating global climate change. One Governor, Inslee is running for President on this issue alone. He is that committed to reducing C02.

Ah, but there is President Trump. EXCEPT speed limits are set by the states, not the Federal Government. Just like in 1973, we can have 55 MPH speed limits on I-5, with the streetlights off, OVERNIGHT.

All we need is for the three Democrat governors to commit to saving the planet and dropping the speed limit to 55 MPH......TOMORROW or AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

If you live in one of these states.....write the Governors and ask them to SAVE THE PLANET...SPEED LIMIT 55.

If you drove 55 mph on a freeway today, you'd become a serious safety hazard, because 99.9% of the others would be doing 75 mph+. All attempts to limit speed have failed, as the people who have fast cars will not be deterred from using them at high speeds. On my residential street, with a posted 25 mph limit, the typical speed driven is 45 mph and often, drivers will be going much faster, with no regard for the unexpected event that might kill them or others.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:28 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Why not, but we should enforce the rule this time. Set up speed cameras that check your average speed over a distance.

That will reduce pollution and reduce fatalities.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Why not, but we should enforce the rule this time. Set up speed cameras that check your average speed over a distance.

That will reduce pollution and reduce fatalities.
How about 30 mph.

Think of the lives saved.

They should only allow people to drive to work each day and one shopping trip. I hope you agree and don't want more dead and more pollution.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:41 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How about 30 mph.
I think it is too low, but I actually would be okay with that, especially if I can get a car with autopilot so I can just relax and let the car drive

I don`t like driving fast, because I know I could die if I crash. With slow speeds, it is so much easier to stop or get away from any dangerous situations. And if you do crash, it is only the car that get damaged.

Last edited by Camlon; 06-09-2019 at 11:03 PM..

Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,005 times
OP is either ignorant, insane, or a bit of both.
First off the 55 limit wasnt sold just for fuel economy it was about safety too. Now automobiles and highway infrastructure are much improved there is no reason.
Secondly cars are now optimized for 65+ with their gearing and transmissions.
Third the reason 55 endured so long is that everyone drove 63mph which is past that 10% threshold where police write cites. All a cop had to do was get on a highway and every citizen was a lawbreaker. When the limit went to 65 everyone drove at 67 mph... nobody was a criminal.
The savings of fuel and lives for 4mph is negligible. Have fun losing your license though.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:45 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
55 MPH was a boon to the electronics industry. They sold a zillion CB radios and radar detectors. Every commercial traveler or highway commuter had both.
One word. Waze.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:37 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Increased congestion.
More distractions.
Lack of driving education.
Poor car maintenance. Who knows how bald those tires are on the car next to you.
Lack of common courtesy and common sense.
Crumbling infrastructure.
Knowledge of elementary physics that tells us the faster one goes, the more spectacular and deadly the crash.

Plenty of reasons to slow down and act civilized. Saving fuel is just the cherry on top.
With today’s technology, we could govern cars at 60 or so, thereby preventing common folks from becoming criminals. The amount of lives saved from lower speeds in that scenario would be staggering.
Wanna go faster? Get a plane ticket, at least until AOC bans air travel.
Need to get to work quicker? Leave earlier and/or move closer. Like the old days.
I have no respect and no use for higher speed limits. Sometimes I think they’re set by spoiled brat legislators who got tired of getting tickets in their Volvo’s.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:51 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times
Quote:
According to the Democrat Party life on earth will end in 12 years unless we do something about global warming. Right now, they are blaming President Trump for doing nothing. OK.

Back in 1973, I was living and Canada and the Arab countries decided to quit shipping oil to the US. I needed to drive from Vancouver to San Francisco a couple of weeks after the boycott started.

The THREE Republican Governors, Washington(Evans), Oregon(McCall), California(Reagan), immediately lowered the speed limit to 55 MPH to save gas. Evans in Washington dropped it to 50 MPH, but later raised it back to 55 MPH. They also ordered that streetlights be shut off after 10:00?? pm and all businesses were to shut their outside lights and signs when closed.

It was weird driving down I-5 with only an odd business sign lit, and all the streetlights off. We as college students, drove all night long. But it was I thought a appropriate response by the Governors to an emergency.

So here we are almost 50 years later. This time talking about life on the planet ending in 12 years. The Democrats say they want to impose TAXES to save the planet. Well, instead of taxes how about 55 MPH. The amount of CO2 generate by vehicles is significantly less at 55 MPH and transportation is a MAJOR contributor to C02 generation.

Washington, Oregon and California are very, very liberal states these days committed to combating global climate change. One Governor, Inslee is running for President on this issue alone. He is that committed to reducing C02.

Ah, but there is President Trump. EXCEPT speed limits are set by the states, not the Federal Government. Just like in 1973, we can have 55 MPH speed limits on I-5, with the streetlights off, OVERNIGHT.

All we need is for the three Democrat governors to commit to saving the planet and dropping the speed limit to 55 MPH......TOMORROW or AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

If you live in one of these states.....write the Governors and ask them to SAVE THE PLANET...SPEED LIMIT 55.
Geez, are you that naive. The whole nation had to because President Peanut threatened to cut of gas-tax money to the states if they didn't.

You aren't going to save anything. Get over yourself. 55mph was a great squander of the most precious of all resources....time. I'll never drive 55 again, ever.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:52 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:

The biggest threat to the earth is the human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies