Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 07:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Ding ding ding. And here you have it. The "but others are kind of worse excuse." That is why you have a problem. You admit and accept that it is bad, but use the excuse, others are worse.So what if a handful of other cities statistically have slightly more murders. The fact remains that Chicago is still one of the worst in the nation. No, not all of Chicago, just the part the elites don't care about because they dont have to deal with it personally.

Those cities you mention are bad and likely suffer from the same mentality. Not our fault because.....

It is the fault of the cities and their managers, ie the council, there mayor and the police as well as the people.

The people in the high crime areas simply accept. "Its just how it is." They aren't safe and feel even less safe if they speak out.
How diligently does Chicago investigate dirty cops? Clean up the police first then clean up the criminals on the street.

Blaming everyone else will not solve the problem. Pointing fingers at other cities because they are worse only serves to offer a free pass. I honestly pity the people who live in the south side. No one should have to endure that crap in the United States.
How would you solve the gang problem in Chicago's south and west sides. Note that I lived in Chicago and a suburb for over 35 years. I saw NO gun violence near my homes. I taught in Pilsen at Benito Juarez high school. I would not have stayed around after school hours since that was when the gang violence happened. I wish I knew how to get those kids to stop shooting each other. Putting them in jail actually does not help (except for the kids who are actually in jail). There are too many of them to lock up. Pilsen, btw, is currently gentrifying, so there is much less violence there now than there was when I taught high school there.

New York City did curb its violence by basically forcing a lot of the poor population out.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...918-story.html

Quote:
Experts say it's difficult to pinpoint why New York has achieved so much success at reducing violence. Criminologists have pointed to a diversified economy and gentrification as factors. Some law enforcement officials credit police tactics like the longtime "broken windows" policy that targets quality-of-life crimes such as prostitution and vagrancy in order to prevent more serious violence.
Quote:
New York's gentrification has spread to historically African-American neighborhoods, including Harlem, another neighborhood in Upper Manhattan that also had massive drops in violence over the last 20 years. Most of Chicago's historically African-American neighborhoods, however, have seen limited economic improvement, and unabated violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 07:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

They need to get tough on these gun toting thugs that are terrorizing the neighborhoods.
Trump wants the police to go into those neighborhoods and take away guns from armed bad guys in the streets.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:58 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
We are both fans of Gangland. I recall that episode about Zoe Pound, a gang that was founded by legal Haitian immigrants in the 80’s.
I've been watching it for years. And with Zoe Pound, it was mainly the poor joining gangs, people getting beaten up by other kids joining gangs. People joining gangs to protect themselves and make money from drug dealing.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Atlanta has had only one Republican mayor for the past 164 years, albeit some were of the Southern Democrat variety during Jim Crow.

Atlanta is substantially blacker than Chicago. It’s population is a fraction of Chicago.
Atlanta's murder rate is slightly lower than Chicago these days. Atlanta's murder rate has dropped alot. It's Blacker than Chicago. Many Black Chicagoans are moving to Atlanta.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:00 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Jim Croce's classic, Bad Bad Leroy Brown, from 1973 - first line references how the South Side Of Chicago is a dump. So nothing's changed !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvwDohEEQ1E

Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Trump wants the police to go into those neighborhoods and take away guns from armed bad guys in the streets.
Apparently the Mayor and crooks in charge doesn't want their own Cops to do this. They allow it to continue.

This is been going on for years. I believe they're content keeping it isolated.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
And many of these disputes happen on social media and related PMs.

As I understand it, it is considered poor form to disable your location on social media. Issue a taunt- a challenge and your opponent will locate you and your pals standing outside of an apartment complex. No big deal to spray the lot of them with bullets, during a drive- bye.
I use social media, but not to have disputes. I've never tried to have social media disputes on facebook or Instagram. Of course, I don't live in the inner city and I've stayed away from hood rat and tweaker/redneck culture. I basically go to work, go home and maybe hang out somewhere on Friday or the weekend.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
In Cook County, Chicago doesn't have the highest homicide rate. Harvey, a suburb just a couple of miles south, is currently pushing a rate of 40 per 100k and has had a higher murder rate than Chicago typically per year at least since 1989.
I've heard about Harvey. Not a nice place from what I've heard. What is kind of interesting is that South Holland is South of Chicago, next door to Harvey. It has a markedly lower murder rate, and a much lower violent crime rate over all.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:28 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Republican here.
Cure for Chicago's problems?
Easy.

Focus on motive, incentive and intent. No different than what drives homicidal scumbags to pick up a firearm and descend upon a school house of worship or place of employment to maim and kill innocent people.

What causes/compelled one to engage in wanton violence in Chicago?
Is it a lifestyle?
Is it criminal enterprise due to a lack of legitimate enterprise to give individuals the means to provide for them and their families?

If we're being honest in wanting to end/reduce it, the focus needs to shift from what the implement of harm/death was/is, and focus on the individuals who consciously decided to harm/kill another.
That's if we are being honest.

Firearms are merely the distraction and unfortunately the focal point hence why nothing gets accomplished to reduce or stop it.

Firearms aren't doing it by themselves. Why the focus is upon firearms is baffling... you could have 1 wish. If you chose to erase firearms and all knowledge of firearms from this earth you have solved nothing as the implement will simply change.
If you wished evil motive incentive and intent away... the world could be swimming in firearms. Fatalities from homicidal actions would be non existent as people wouldn't have the interest in harming or killing another regardless of the weapon they sought.
That's always been my thought too. We apparently have a lot of people who want to kill others....and our primary concern seems to be all regulating/controlling the implement they use to do it. I'd think the fact that they desire to kill others would rank higher on the list, but that certainly doesn't seem to be where the main emphasis is. Killers will always find a way to kill or seriously harm you if they choose to. Yes, guns certainly are an "efficient" way to kill others, but unless you ban and/or control everything, natural and man made, except perhaps cotton balls, we're screwed if someone really wants to do you serious harm.

Actually, I guess if someone stuffed enough cotton balls down your throat, you'd not be able to breathe, so I guess they have to go too.

One of the local police chiefs was interviewed the other day about the opiate problem. He said "we can't arrest our way out of this problem". And he was so right. Laws which are flagrantly violated, and result in arrests, don't do squat to "fix" the REAL problem...or most any REAL problem actually. We're just dancing around treating the symptoms and feeling good by passing more new laws.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:18 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Gangs are criminals. Pass all the laws (regulations) that you want. Just more for them to ignore. Eliminate the laws and there will still be gangs fighting over turf. Legalize the drugs and they will still kill over who gets to sell the legal ones. You have to find a way to change the culture and no one has figured any way to do that.
I disagree, back when alcohol was banned due to prohibition, it was the criminal elements that controlled it, but once prohibition ended, alcohol was regulated, and the criminals were cut out for the most part, big companies and industries took over at that point.

Look around today, how many gangs or criminals do you hear about, trying to sell alcohol on the black market? It just doesnt happen, they cannot compete once its heavily regulated and controlled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies