Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 06:17 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times

Advertisements

well, how about "john"?

with black, there is "in the black" which is good.
and "black belt" which is the best.

john?
nothing good, assuming no proper nouns.
a "john" could be the toilet or a customer.
a "dear john letter" used to be bad.

black can be either, john is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 06:21 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Also, "Black" is not always referring to race/skin color, snowflakes. Seriously, how about doing something better like try getting a job if you don't have one but are capable of getting a job? How about protesting actual racist issues vs. what a dictionary says?

Last edited by Eumaois; 06-09-2019 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 06:44 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I wonder why so many people on this forum who aren't black obsess about everything they do, think or vote.
Excellent question.

CD P&OC’s posters seem to obsess over the so-called issues of people of color more than actual people of color do.

I’m a woman of color, and I don’t run across people who worry about the crazy things that are posted here.

Last edited by Cali Doll; 06-09-2019 at 07:01 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 07:00 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
The only reason "black" is noted as "often offensive" is because some blacks have insisted that people call them "African American" rather than black. The idiots on Twitter have somehow twisted this around in their minds to think the dictionary is telling them it's bad to be black... lol.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:08 PM

So, they want a dictionary to fix a definition that caters to them? OK, go start an Urban Dictionary-type (which is often NSFW) site but don't urge publishers to cater to you like that! SMDH!

Old 06-09-2019, 07:08 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I wonder why so many people on this forum who aren't black obsess about everything they do, think or vote.
I wonder why so many on the far-left worry about the labeling of black Americans?

At one time 'colored' was used (as in 'National Association for the Advancement of Colored People'). At some point that was deemed offensive, so 'Negro' became the PC label (as in 'United Negro College Fund'). That too was deemed offensive, so 'black' became PC. Then it was 'African American,' then full circle to 'person of color.'

Make up your minds! For me, I will continue to use the term 'black,' because growing up, that was the term generally used by those wishing to show respect.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:11 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I wonder why so many on the far-left worry about the labeling of black Americans?

At one time 'colored' was used (as in 'National Association for the Advancement of Colored People'). At some point that was deemed offensive, so 'Negro' became the PC label (as in 'United Negro College Fund'). That too was deemed offensive, so 'black' became PC. Then it was 'African American,' then full circle to 'person of color.'

Make up your minds! For me, I will continue to use the term 'black,' because growing up, that was the term generally used by those wishing to show respect.
Black is fine, preferred even by many.

Language evolves, as society does. This is something you might have to get over if you plan on functioning in polite society.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:15 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Black is fine, preferred even by many.

Language evolves, as society does. This is something you might have to get over if you plan on functioning in polite society.
This is hardly evolution. This has been a roller-coaster ride over the past 50 years. Why the need for so many different labels? What other aspect of language goes through so many changes? I can think of very few.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Dictonary.com?

oh my.

They don't even know that it's Websters, not dictionary.com which is definitive for American English.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:36 PM

twitter.com/NyshaylaBarnes/status/1137907615743299586

The above link is where I had a Twitter exchange with 1 of the Twitter users in the Yahoo article (@NyshaylaBarnes):
-Me: "There is even the fact that 1 of the dictionary definitions there noted it is often used offensively towards African Americans. Sheesh, Nyshayla is getting desperate."

a. Her: "How is this being desperate?"
b. Me: "O.K., 'desperate' may have been the wrong word choice. Are you going to protest the fact that there are dictionaries with the N-word (which is often addressed as something like 'often used offensively'). How about protesting actual racist issues vs. what a dictionary says?"

c. Her: "I am not going to trivialize any Black issue over another. And I do protest for other 'real issues' that Black people face. This is one of many. Now get off my thread."
d. Me: "O.K., I see the meanings of 'black' here only as in issue when people use them in a disparaging manner. I think most don't use it that way. To me, it seems you are so stuck it having to be a race issue."

-Here, the snowflake did that "Black people cannot be racist only prejudiced power"-type post: twitter.com/NyshaylaBarnes/status/1137823738240610308.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies