Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 09:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,256,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post

I’m a woman of color, and I don’t run across people who worry about the crazy things that are posted here.
By calling yourself a woman of "color", aren't you playing into the hands of the racists? Everyone woman is a woman of color. By singling out blacks, you are implicitly saying the white skin is the norm and everybody else is "colored." This is exactly what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 09:10 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,393 times
White

Is

A

Color

Old 06-09-2019, 09:12 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,393 times
Quote:

I’m a woman of color, and I don’t run across people who worry about the crazy things that are posted here.
If you are calling yourself a "woman of color" then you can also be described as a "colored woman".

Think about it.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:30 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Black is fine, preferred even by many.

Language evolves, as society does. This is something you might have to get over if you plan on functioning in polite society.

LOL Who made you the arbiter of words acceptable to be included in one's lexicon?

Since you're the one anticipating that users of our great English language will continue to do so without [gasp!] consulting the latest edition of acceptable words du jour, it is clearly you who will have to "get over it."

Old 06-10-2019, 02:59 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Calling someone Black/black isn't offensive, it's a legit descriptor. I don't call anyone African American because it's cumbersome and not even true. None of the black people I know have any connection to Africa any more than I have a connection to Italy or Scotland.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:15 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,069 times
Quote:
Excellent question.

CD P&OC’s posters seem to obsess over the so-called issues of people of color more than actual people of color do.

You might have a point if this story was made up by CD posters. Why dont you refrain from deflecting this toward the people posting the story and talk about the story? Or is it because its so ridiculous its not defensible?
Towards that story and perhaps this doesnt apply to you but this is evidence that a lot of the issues blacks experience in this country are tied to not being comfortable with their own skin, not because other races want to keep them down.
Perhaps its time to realize reminding everyone that they are black is not the way to equality when most of us want to just see them as fellow americans.
Just my 2 cents dismiss if you like but shared by many.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
By calling yourself a woman of "color", aren't you playing into the hands of the racists? Everyone woman is a woman of color. By singling out blacks, you are implicitly saying the white skin is the norm and everybody else is "colored." This is exactly what they want.
Can I post that clip of Tony Robbins using the N word repeatedly now.... every time the N word gets a rise out of a black person he remains a slave.

You should see that video.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:43 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
That’s because “black” should have never been forced on people as a label/identifier. There will always be issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
You might have a point if this story was made up by CD posters. Why dont you refrain from deflecting this toward the people posting the story and talk about the story? Or is it because its so ridiculous its not defensible?
Towards that story and perhaps this doesnt apply to you but this is evidence that a lot of the issues blacks experience in this country are tied to not being comfortable with their own skin, not because other races want to keep them down.
Perhaps its time to realize reminding everyone that they are black is not the way to equality when most of us want to just see them as fellow americans.
Probably one of the most idiotic comments I’ve ever read. The term “black/negro” was forced on people from over 40 different African ethnicities and ethnic identities/languages beaten from them. Spare me the nonsense about people just wanting to them as just fellow Americans. If that were the case, the term “black/negro” would have never been imposed. It was other Americans, particularly whites, who pushed the black label on people of African origin. Over time it was all those people had left. But yet you want to complain now. Get out of here.

Further, if you or your family is recent to the U.S., you are still forced to identify with “black” because outsiders are the ones who impose the labels. My family identifies ethnically first but upon coming to the US, every thing is color. Also, most people who immigrate from Africa identify ethnically, but in the US the “black” label is forced. Color labels are not African identifiers. The only places where you see color labels for African people in Africa is where European colonization was the strongest, like South Africa. Whites felt the need to define themselves as opposite from people of African origin and that’s where it began.

As Somali model Iman said, when you come to America, you have to learn to be black.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:53 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Nah, people [woman] of color is an actual thing. It has real meaning, and that meaning isn’t “every woman.” Also, in case it’s not clear, black people aren’t the only people of color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
If you are calling yourself a "woman of color" then you can also be described as a "colored woman".

Think about it.
Woman of color and colored women are different expressions. Language evolves, but use whatever lexicon you like. I hope it works out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
[/b]

LOL Who made you the arbiter of words acceptable to be included in one's lexicon?

Since you're the one anticipating that users of our great English language will continue to do so without [gasp!] consulting the latest edition of acceptable words du jour, it is clearly you who will have to "get over it."
No one made me the arbiter of words. I’m just intellectually curious. Use whatever language you want. Hopefully, that works out well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Calling someone Black/black isn't offensive, it's a legit descriptor. I don't call anyone African American because it's cumbersome and not even true. None of the black people I know have any connection to Africa any more than I have a connection to Italy or Scotland.
^^I agree with you. I’m not fond of African American for the reasons you describe. I much prefer black, but I wouldn’t tell someone unless they ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Yeah, I think the story is ridiculous.

I posted my comment because it’s usually those claiming to be not of color who bring these threads here in outrage/concern/curiosity over why black people feel this way or that. Eh, the black people I know don’t care about these silly things.

Also, for the record, black people don’t feel the need to remind people of their blackness. We live it everyday, and we’d expect people to recognize it. Recognizing and respecting differences are good things.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:57 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Quote:
^^I agree with you. I’m not fond of African American for the reasons you describe. I much prefer black, but I wouldn’t correct someone unless they ask..
There’s definitely a split in preferences.

I am not fond of African-American because I’m not African-American. The term was coined for descendants of American slavery. People use it interchangeably with “black” and it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies