Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 10:29 AM

33,507 posts, read 18,050,450 times

Advertisements

How about dark pigment , no they will have something to say about the Pig part of pigment. Today they are so politically correct it is getting out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 12:47 PM

3,050 posts, read 3,236,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I'll ask you too since you seem to be a fan of the term 'people of color.' Is Cameron Diaz, blonde & blue & Hispanic a 'person of color?' I'm a person of pallor, of mostly N. Euro ancestry. Growing up I had a good friend who was Palestinian, and just as pale as me. Was he a 'person of color?' I have an ex-GF who is Vietnamese, also paler than me (mainly because she never goes out in the sun). Is she a 'person of color?'

What is the definition of 'person of color?'
Hmm, don't know how "I have no problem with new terms being coined" is somehow converted to "seem to be a fan of the term". Personally, I could not care less whether Cameron Diaz is called a POC or not, ditto your other examples.

Once again I will point to my political (vs practical as voiced above) statement about the term "person of color" (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinNerd
Because in this era of permissive racism, having a target creates a rallying point, sometimes giving rise to labels with low informational density, including the one discussed, whose primary purpose it is to further an idealism vs facilitate understanding.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,994,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinNerd
Because in this era of permissive racism, having a target creates a rallying point, sometimes giving rise to labels with low informational density, including the one discussed, whose primary purpose it is to further an idealism vs facilitate understanding.
Ok, that is fair enough. At least you appear to admit that 'people of color' is a politically-concocted 'framing' term not actually intended to convey meaning, but just to skew a political debate.

I know that's not exactly what you said, but that's my interpretation of it. It's a term like 'partial birth abortion,' or 'right to vote,'' basically concocted as a way to fool low-info voters.
Politically-concocted terms intended to skew the debate. Let's throw them in the word trash can.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:21 PM

30,195 posts, read 23,608,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
If I understand current American racial politics. Because Cameron Diaz's father can link to Cuba she is a person of color. However if we knew for a fact that he was born in Spain and merely lived in Cuba before coming to America she still would be a person of color. Take out a stop by her father in an American land before he came to the US then she would be white with a Hispanic name.

It is within my lifetime, probably post 1967 and the 6 Day War that the Palestinian along with Arabs in general transitioned from white people to peoples of color in America. The Vietnamese ex girlfriend would have fallen under the single drop rule, if we knew about a Chinese or Vietnamese parent, even if the bulk of her ancestry were French, would be a person of color
"Cuban" is not necessarily a "person of color". You can find a lot of Cubans who are white skinned. I get what travis t is saying. To state "white people" and then say all others are "people of color" is a tactic being used to try to divide everyone else from white people.

The term "people of color" should be offensive to anyone. It completely eradicates any identity that they have while giving all of the identity to their version of "white people" which would be "European".

It's the dumbest thing ever, and to think that people so offended about being singled out for having pigment in their skin are falling for this is beyond comprehension to me.

What happened to "black and proud"? What is it now? "People of color and proud"? So what does that mean? Where does that person's ancestry come from? What culture are they from? There is no Land of People of Color.

And why in the hell are so many who have pigmented skin that is darker than "white people" (meaning European) all up in arms about white people in the first place. World wide, white people (meaning European) are the minority. At some point, people are going to have to stop blaming all of their woes on "white people". It's so fricken stupid and lazy.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
So tell us what is the meaning of 'people of color.' As generally used it seems to mean 'non-white.' AOC calls herself a 'woman of color.' Is Cameron Diaz, blonde & blue and Hispanic, a 'woman of color?' Growing up I had a good friend who was Palestinian, and about as clown-pale as me, w/ my mostly N. Euro ancestry. Was he a 'person of color?' Is my Vietnamese ex-GF whose skin-tone was actually of more pallor than mine (because she never went in the sun) a 'woman of color?'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
If I understand current American racial politics. Because Cameron Diaz's father can link to Cuba she is a person of color. However if we knew for a fact that he was born in Spain and merely lived in Cuba before coming to America she still would be a person of color. Take out a stop by her father in an American land before he came to the US then she would be white with a Hispanic name.

It is within my lifetime, probably post 1967 and the 6 Day War that the Palestinian along with Arabs in general transitioned from white people to peoples of color in America. The Vietnamese ex girlfriend would have fallen under the single drop rule, if we knew about a Chinese or Vietnamese parent, even if the bulk of her ancestry were French, would be a person of color
OK thanks for this reply; I had missed the post until 'three wolves' quoted it.

It seems that, as I suspected, 'person of color' is a very flexible term. A Palestinian prior to the 1967 six day war would have been white, and after would have been a 'person of color.' Does it apply just to those born after 1967, or to all?

I'm glad somebody finally had the guts to say it: yes, Cameron Diaz, blond hair, blue eyes, and very pale skin is nonetheless a 'person of color.' LOL. My ex-GF was born in Vietnam of Vietnamese parents. Her skin is paler than mine (if I'm getting any sun), yet she's a 'person of color.' I think I'm starting to get it!

Old 06-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
"Cuban" is not necessarily a "person of color". You can find a lot of Cubans who are white skinned. I get what travis t is saying. To state "white people" and then say all others are "people of color" is a tactic being used to try to divide everyone else from white people.

The term "people of color" should be offensive to anyone. It completely eradicates any identity that they have while giving all of the identity to their version of "white people" which would be "European".

It's the dumbest thing ever, and to think that people so offended about being singled out for having pigment in their skin are falling for this is beyond comprehension to me.

What happened to "black and proud"? What is it now? "People of color and proud"? So what does that mean? Where does that person's ancestry come from? What culture are they from? There is no Land of People of Color.

And why in the hell are so many who have pigmented skin that is darker than "white people" (meaning European) all up in arms about white people in the first place. World wide, white people (meaning European) are the minority. At some point, people are going to have to stop blaming all of their woes on "white people". It's so fricken stupid and lazy.
I've been saying for a long time that 'person of color,' whatever it means (and no one seems to be able to define it), is inherently racist terminology. It divides the world into 'white' and 'all others.' Implicit in that is that 'white' is somehow special and set apart.

It's what I call 'crypto-racism,' 'crypto' being defined as ' secret allegiance to a political creed.'

Old 06-11-2019, 02:03 PM

37,084 posts, read 42,066,642 times
Thinking back the last time I even had to think about this was when I was pointing out someone to another person who was looking for them, but had never met them, in a crowded room. I said "he's the black man in the red shirt" or something along those line. When else would I need to specify a persons color and why the heck would anyone care what descriptor I used?

Old 06-11-2019, 05:40 PM

25,786 posts, read 16,422,799 times
People “of color” is the dumbest catch phrase I’ve ever heard.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 PM

34,161 posts, read 18,446,096 times
Everything is RACIST that isn't Far Left, PC, and ridiculous.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:06 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,381,797 times
One snowflake mentioned in the article, Twitter user @NyshaylaBarnes, now has her Twitter account set to where you can only see her tweets if you follow her. OK, harassing about her ignorant points about being an SWJ/snowflake is wrong. However, calling her out on her B.S. is fine within reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies