Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 06:29 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Are you a person of color? Most POC do not want their color erased. They don’t want you to be “colorblind.” They want you to see their differences, and respect those differences. Stop trying to pretend differences don’t exist.

Yes, in many ways, our life does revolve around our color.
As long as your thinking revolves around the color of your skin you will be trapped by it.
Why should I see and respect your differences when all you see in me is white?
Which I am not. Kind of olive honey caucasian but its a big bowl of who gives a **** and as far as I am concerned we are all equal and all humans.5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 07:32 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
OK thanks for this reply; I had missed the post until 'three wolves' quoted it.

It seems that, as I suspected, 'person of color' is a very flexible term. A Palestinian prior to the 1967 six day war would have been white, and after would have been a 'person of color.' Does it apply just to those born after 1967, or to all?

I'm glad somebody finally had the guts to say it: yes, Cameron Diaz, blond hair, blue eyes, and very pale skin is nonetheless a 'person of color.' LOL. My ex-GF was born in Vietnam of Vietnamese parents. Her skin is paler than mine (if I'm getting any sun), yet she's a 'person of color.' I think I'm starting to get it!
It would not be a matter of when the Palestinian or other Arab national was born but rather how Americans saw Arabs. Before 1967 the Arab was Danny Thomas or Corporal Klinger on MASH. After Israel's victory in 1967 they were seen as a victim of the white outpost in the Middle East and gradually began the transition as a culture we shifted from the character Arab member of the white gang in the 50's musical play and movie West Side Story to Arabs being an outsider, part person of color coalition.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:49 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
OK thanks for this reply; I had missed the post until 'three wolves' quoted it.

It seems that, as I suspected, 'person of color' is a very flexible term. A Palestinian prior to the 1967 six day war would have been white, and after would have been a 'person of color.' Does it apply just to those born after 1967, or to all?

I'm glad somebody finally had the guts to say it: yes, Cameron Diaz, blond hair, blue eyes, and very pale skin is nonetheless a 'person of color.' LOL. My ex-GF was born in Vietnam of Vietnamese parents. Her skin is paler than mine (if I'm getting any sun), yet she's a 'person of color.' I think I'm starting to get it!
Smh.

Cameron Diaz is white. There are white Cubans, Black Cubans, mixed Cubans etc

Old 06-12-2019, 01:01 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Everything is RACIST that isn't Far Left, PC, and ridiculous.
I wonder what there is LEFT for the liberals to say is racist before they admit "Our desperation has gone too FAR" this time.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
"Cuban" is not necessarily a "person of color". You can find a lot of Cubans who are white skinned. I get what travis t is saying. To state "white people" and then say all others are "people of color" is a tactic being used to try to divide everyone else from white people.

The term "people of color" should be offensive to anyone. It completely eradicates any identity that they have while giving all of the identity to their version of "white people" which would be "European".

It's the dumbest thing ever, and to think that people so offended about being singled out for having pigment in their skin are falling for this is beyond comprehension to me.

What happened to "black and proud"? What is it now? "People of color and proud"? So what does that mean? Where does that person's ancestry come from? What culture are they from? There is no Land of People of Color.

And why in the hell are so many who have pigmented skin that is darker than "white people" (meaning European) all up in arms about white people in the first place. World wide, white people (meaning European) are the minority. At some point, people are going to have to stop blaming all of their woes on "white people". It's so fricken stupid and lazy.
It’s interesting to see whites complain about terms that they created and forced on others. It is whites who divided everyone else from themselves.

Whites were the ones who wanted to eradicate the original cultures of Africans in the U.S. (and elsewhere) and label them black, people of color, negro etc. They destroyed people’s ties to their ancestry and culture and now want to complain about people jumping between imposed labels.

The term “people of color” is what white American and European cultures created and perpetuated. What is stupid and lazy is to remain in denial rather than educating yourselves about the origin of these terms that you whine about others using.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:13 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It’s interesting to see whites complain about terms that they created and forced on others. It is whites who divided everyone else from themselves.

Whites were the ones who wanted to eradicate the original cultures of Africans in the U.S. (and elsewhere) and label them black, people of color, negro etc. They destroyed people’s ties to their ancestry and culture and now want to complain about people jumping between imposed labels.

The term “people of color” is what white American and European cultures created and perpetuated. What is stupid and lazy is to remain in denial rather than educating yourselves about the origin of these terms that you whine about others using.
It's in-group preference and it's as old as human history. Yet only whites are condemned for it.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:17 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
has she tried white paint? comes in flat, satin, or semi-gloss.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
It's in-group preference and it's as old as human history. Yet only whites are condemned for it.
Again, whites should stop whining about what they created. The term “people of color” comes from them. GTHOH.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:32 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:

I created no terms. I call people by what they want to be called. At one point in my life, people wanted to be called "African Americans". So that's what I called them. Then they wanted to be called "black". That's what I call them. But "people of color" strips away every last bit of a person's identity and throws them in the pot with every other person on the planet who is not a white European. I refuse to do that, because I think it's insulting, denigrating, and wrong.

Nor did I "want to eradicate the original cultures of Africans in the U.S." Again, I go by what people want me to call them. If a black person says they want to be called "black", then I call them "black". I didn't come up with that label.

NOR did I come up with the insipid "people of color". I am against that stupid label for the reason I have already expressed. You're barking up the wrong white person tree. You need to go over to that "white liberal guilt" tree to rant about this topic.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:14 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Again, whites should stop whining about what they created. The term “people of color” comes from them. GTHOH.
link? I don't know who coined the word 'people of color.' I remember first noticing it around 20 years ago, mainly coming from liberal sources, not necessarily white. What is your evidence that the term was created by whites?

Even if it was created by some whites, don't other whites have the right to criticize it if they think it's racist terminology? Where do you get off telling people to essentially shut up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies