U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2019, 03:34 PM
 
15,407 posts, read 7,871,041 times
Reputation: 7988

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I created no terms. I call people by what they want to be called. At one point in my life, people wanted to be called "African Americans". So that's what I called them. Then they wanted to be called "black". That's what I call them. But "people of color" strips away every last bit of a person's identity and throws them in the pot with every other person on the planet who is not a white European. I refuse to do that, because I think it's insulting, denigrating, and wrong.

Nor did I "want to eradicate the original cultures of Africans in the U.S." Again, I go by what people want me to call them. If a black person says they want to be called "black", then I call them "black". I didn't come up with that label.

NOR did I come up with the insipid "people of color". I am against that stupid label for the reason I have already expressed. You're barking up the wrong white person tree. You need to go over to that "white liberal guilt" tree to rant about this topic.

FYI - on the 1790 Census, the first of the newly created United States of America - there were two racial categories - WHITE and "OTHER" which was designated as those "of color" and not considered "white."

The people who created those categories were American white men. They made whites and "people of color" back in the 1700s. By 1830, the census listed WHITE and FREE COLORED meaning "people of color."

I agree with other posters that it is odd you all are upset about these terms now. Write a note to the Founding Fathers and complain IMO lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,245 posts, read 576,334 times
Reputation: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI - on the 1790 Census, the first of the newly created United States of America - there were two racial categories - WHITE and "OTHER" which was designated as those "of color" and not considered "white."

The people who created those categories were American white men. They made whites and "people of color" back in the 1700s. By 1830, the census listed WHITE and FREE COLORED meaning "people of color."

I agree with other posters that it is odd you all are upset about these terms now. Write a note to the Founding Fathers and complain IMO lol.
Yeah sure, and Benjamin Franklin believed that Germans (other than Saxons) were non-white.

Not sure why it would make sense to "[w]rite a note to the Founding Fathers," over terminology that, according to Wikipedia, was popularized only in the late 1970s.
Quote:
The phrase "women of color" was developed and introduced for wide use by a group of black women activists at the National Women's Conference in 1977.
The Founding Fathers are all long dead. How do you propose we send a note to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,558 posts, read 2,427,412 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I created no terms. I call people by what they want to be called. At one point in my life, people wanted to be called "African Americans". So that's what I called them. Then they wanted to be called "black". That's what I call them. But "people of color" strips away every last bit of a person's identity and throws them in the pot with every other person on the planet who is not a white European. I refuse to do that, because I think it's insulting, denigrating, and wrong.

Nor did I "want to eradicate the original cultures of Africans in the U.S." Again, I go by what people want me to call them. If a black person says they want to be called "black", then I call them "black". I didn't come up with that label.

NOR did I come up with the insipid "people of color". I am against that stupid label for the reason I have already expressed. You're barking up the wrong white person tree. You need to go over to that "white liberal guilt" tree to rant about this topic.
Blah blah blah...spare me the nonsense. People of color is an old term that has been used to describe black peoples and others. It goes at least as far back as the 1800s. Black goes back further. BOTH we’re given after stripping away the cultures of African peoples.

Again, people of African origin didn’t come up with people of color OR black. There is no land called either. You’re barking up the wrong tree with this nonsense. I don’t care about your little liberal/conservative deflections. Both are white American and European terms. PERIOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Status: "¯\_(ツ)_/¯" (set 12 days ago)
 
11,382 posts, read 5,960,800 times
Reputation: 3598
I'll show my solidarity by shunning black text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:23 PM
 
1,296 posts, read 2,061,400 times
Reputation: 904
I'm not sure why the origins of the term "people of color" warrants pages of posts, but what I do know is that, with some obvious edge cases, many folks have a general idea of what the expression means and for many conversations it's "good enough". If specificity is required, it can certainly be asked for. The other thing I do know is that all it takes is for some folks perceive enough negativity in the usage of the term and it too will fall out of favor and will be followed by some other term that basically means the same thing, such is the way of language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:29 PM
 
21,485 posts, read 11,591,826 times
Reputation: 12261
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I'm not sure why the origins of the term "people of color" warrants pages of posts, but what I do know is that, with some obvious edge cases, many folks have a general idea of what the expression means and for many conversations it's "good enough". If specificity is required, it can certainly be asked for. The other thing I do know is that all it takes is for some folks perceive enough negativity in the usage of the term and it too will fall out of favor and will be followed by some other term that basically means the same thing, such is the way of language.
White people have plenty of color. In fact the white variation of the human being is the most diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:34 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,245 posts, read 576,334 times
Reputation: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I'm not sure why the origins of the term "people of color" warrants pages of posts, but what I do know is that, with some obvious edge cases, many folks have a general idea of what the expression means and for many conversations it's "good enough". If specificity is required, it can certainly be asked for. The other thing I do know is that all it takes is for some folks perceive enough negativity in the usage of the term and it too will fall out of favor and will be followed by some other term that basically means the same thing, such is the way of language.
The advocates of this terminology have continually deflected, spun, and side-stepped. That's how we end up with pages upon pages. We finally did get somewhat of a straight response from 'Taiko:'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko
If I understand current American racial politics. Because Cameron Diaz's father can link to Cuba she is a person of color. However if we knew for a fact that he was born in Spain and merely lived in Cuba before coming to America she still would be a person of color.
So it turns out that yes, Cameron Diaz is a 'person of color.' And he/she goes on to explain that a Palestinian prior to the 6 day war (1967) would be white, but thereafter a 'person of color.' LOL, you guys need to pick up Alice in Wonderland and in particular the section on Humpty Dumpty.

I like to be able to define the terms that people use when they are trying to communicate something to me. Those who can't define the terms they use literally don't know what they're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:36 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,245 posts, read 576,334 times
Reputation: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
White people have plenty of color. In fact the white variation of the human being is the most diverse.
This is true; a close relative did the DNA thing. Our family is mostly N. European (Brit and Scandinavian) but 1% sub-Saharan African. I'll have to ask Taiko if that qualifies me as a 'person of color.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,558 posts, read 2,427,412 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Negroes-> Colored People -> Blacks -> African Americans -> People of Color -> what will be next?
Ask the people that came up with those labels. Americans of African descent only came up with one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,245 posts, read 576,334 times
Reputation: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Ask the people that came up with those labels. Americans of African descent only came up with one of them.
What does it matter who came up with them? How can we know that, anyway? What matters now is who is using the labels. Most of these labels have been used, pushed, and popularized by far-left proponents of identity politics. 'People of color' would definitely fall into that category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top