U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 04:52 PM

7,821 posts, read 2,275,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
This is true; a close relative did the DNA thing. Our family is mostly N. European (Brit and Scandinavian) but 1% sub-Saharan African. I'll have to ask Taiko if that qualifies me as a 'person of color.'

My BIL gave me a free Groupon for a DNA check. Said I was 3% Rwandan area. I was always a towhead with freckles and a Dutch name. I've claimed to be black whenever I feel it may offer me an advantage since then, wife says I remind her of Liz Warren.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 05:09 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,428,887 times
Quote:
What does it matter who came up with them? How can we know that, anyway? What matters now is who is using the labels. Most of these labels have been used, pushed, and popularized by far-left proponents of identity politics. 'People of color' would definitely fall into that category.
Well people in this thread are complaining about them and acting as though Americans of African descent were the ones constantly changing labels. Only recently have Americans of African descent had any say in the labels used. If you’re mad about the existence of many labels, put blame where it should lay.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:10 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,428,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI - on the 1790 Census, the first of the newly created United States of America - there were two racial categories - WHITE and "OTHER" which was designated as those "of color" and not considered "white."

The people who created those categories were American white men. They made whites and "people of color" back in the 1700s. By 1830, the census listed WHITE and FREE COLORED meaning "people of color."

I agree with other posters that it is odd you all are upset about these terms now. Write a note to the Founding Fathers and complain IMO lol.
Exactly!!!!

Old 06-12-2019, 05:34 PM

3,245 posts, read 577,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Well people in this thread are complaining about them and acting as though Americans of African descent were the ones constantly changing labels. Only recently have Americans of African descent had any say in the labels used. If you’re mad about the existence of many labels, put blame where it should lay.
I'm not mad about it, and considerate largely irrelevant who came up with labels years ago. What matters is the here and now.

I do see 'people of color' as racist terminology, again since it arbitrarily divides the world into 'white' and 'all others.' What's wrong with eliminating racist terminology to the extent we can?

Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 PM

6,578 posts, read 3,632,918 times
Quote:
This is true; a close relative did the DNA thing. Our family is mostly N. European (Brit and Scandinavian) but 1% sub-Saharan African. I'll have to ask Taiko if that qualifies me as a 'person of color.'
Assuming the community knew about the sub Saharan African, could identify him or her, then you would have been single drop ruled into a colored, Negro, black, African-American or multi-racial person depending upon what year this ID happened. Thus yes, if they knew and you claimed the status then yes you would be a person of color.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM

1,352 posts, read 690,544 times
Quote:
I'm not mad about it, and considerate largely irrelevant who came up with labels years ago. What matters is the here and now.

I do see 'people of color' as racist terminology, again since it arbitrarily divides the world into 'white' and 'all others.' What's wrong with eliminating racist terminology to the extent we can?
Mullato peoples skirted the whole thing by pretending to be Mexicans. They weren't segregated to colored only sections.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:04 AM

4,450 posts, read 876,221 times
The perpetually offended are now trying to get English language dictionaries to suit their agenda is something that is beyond ridiculous. Dictionaries have multiple meanings for words and often when a usage is deemed offensive.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:26 AM

15,412 posts, read 7,873,596 times
Quote:
Yeah sure, and Benjamin Franklin believed that Germans (other than Saxons) were non-white.

Not sure why it would make sense to "[w]rite a note to the Founding Fathers," over terminology that, according to Wikipedia, was popularized only in the late 1970s.

The Founding Fathers are all long dead. How do you propose we send a note to them?

I don't use Wikipedia for my sources. I use actual historic documents. You can look up the templates for the American census from 1790 through 1830 to see how they were set up. Our American government included people who were German. Germans were counted as "white."

I do a lot of genealogical research and actually have German ancestry. There were entire towns of Germans in the 1700s and especially in the early 1800s and all of them were counted as "white" and not "other" or "free colored."

The writing them a note was a joke that went over your head. But you acting like white American men didn't make up these terms is factually incorrect and you just being silly IMO. All of the racial categories in America were made up based upon whites considering themselves to be superior back in the 1700s and attempting to prove that they were superior to the "colored races." They called everyone "colored." I've also read historical accounts that some Africans called Europeans "spirits" or "ghosts" yet that has never stuck for whites lol. Because whites were the ones who created the categories. And where did Ben Franklin say that Germans were not white? I'd like to read the source. I've read a lot of material written by and about Ben Franklin and don't remember that (not saying it is not true, just would like to read it for myself). I have a lot of Pennsylvania ancestry so have studied a lot about Ben Franklin. He is my favorite founding father.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:32 AM

15,412 posts, read 7,873,596 times
And FYI - as I noted in my initial post on this thread/topic - the media called these women "women of color." They consistently in their Tweet spoke of being "black." Not sure the ethnicity of the author of the article, but they are probably not black (name is Paula Cachero).

Black people typically call ourselves black when we are speaking of black issues not "people of color." We call other people, who are not black "people of color" not typically ourselves (some do, but it is not common to speak of ourselves, exclusively as being "people of color").

Old 06-13-2019, 12:42 PM

22,707 posts, read 16,813,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI - on the 1790 Census, the first of the newly created United States of America - there were two racial categories - WHITE and "OTHER" which was designated as those "of color" and not considered "white."

The people who created those categories were American white men. They made whites and "people of color" back in the 1700s. By 1830, the census listed WHITE and FREE COLORED meaning "people of color."

I agree with other posters that it is odd you all are upset about these terms now. Write a note to the Founding Fathers and complain IMO lol.
I don't know how old you think I am, but I assure you that I was not around in 1790, nor was I making up any terms back in 1790. I was also not around in 1830, nor was I making up any terms in 1830. I'm also not a male.

I am here now, and yet I still have not made up any terms or labels for people. As I said, I call people by what they tell me they want to be called - EXCEPT "people of color" because it's so gd racist and disgusting, I refuse to fall in line.

I don't care that you or anyone else want me to accept that. I will not, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Blah blah blah...spare me the nonsense. People of color is an old term that has been used to describe black peoples and others. It goes at least as far back as the 1800s. Black goes back further. BOTH we’re given after stripping away the cultures of African peoples.

Again, people of African origin didn’t come up with people of color OR black. There is no land called either. You’re barking up the wrong tree with this nonsense. I don’t care about your little liberal/conservative deflections. Both are white American and European terms. PERIOD.
I didn't come up with "people of color" OR "black", either. Take your phony outrage and your nonsense somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies