U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 07:08 PM

136 posts, read 32,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
What you are missing is that person of color does not describe a single group. Its a claim of being part of a political coalition of groups that are not seen as white. It is not interchangeable with black, it is blacks and Latinos, Asians maybe Arabs
I'm not missing that at all. Through the years I've been asked to use each of these appellations by people from each of these groups. It becomes confusing to know which terms to use when they continually change. And sometimes an old-school person prefers the old-school term, while younger people want other terms to be used. I've had people of African descent very specifically tell me to use the term black, or person of color, or ... the same goes for Native Americans. One Flathead friend said "Call me Indian. I don't want to be called any of that Native American or indigenous b.s." [Her words.] So, everyone has their own preferences. That's fine, but no one should be jumped on for not using the exact word that is favored by specific people at specific times.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 07:34 PM

136 posts, read 32,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"So Letís Move To Change It And Proudly Represent BLACK, As We Really Are.Ē" Odd, I have NEVER seen a "black" person. May shades of brown but, NEVER black.
I have. In Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands, Brazil, Cameroon, Rwanda, Uganda, and southern India. These people belong to all three races: Mongloid, Negro, and Caucasian. Most of them have absolutely gorgeous, smooth as silk complexions.
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies