U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2019, 11:47 AM

15,402 posts, read 7,871,041 times

Advertisements

I think the media source is reading too much into these two tweets. Sad that journalism now entails reporting about social media posts...

FYI to the OP and posters there was already a movement called "Negritude" in the 20th century that sought to re-define what blackness was to black people.

The two tweets are basically referencing this movement and its continued persistence in black America.

Also don't know why this link said "women of color" when both the women's tweets they poster are black women. They should have just said "black women."

Definitions are revised all the time for words and they are calling for a revision. Not sure what is so horrible about it. The definition has already been revised.

OP mentioned the scene from Malcolm X back in the 1990s and that was based upon Malcolm X's autobiography which is over 50 years old. NOI as an organizaiton, which Malcolm was involved in was based upon earlier black movements that sought to claim our own definition of blackness. Negritude was associated with black nationalist philosophies pushed by Marcus Garvey and others in the 1910s-1920s. So this is not new stuff. You just never knew about it until the internet I guess.

Seems you are more snow-flakey than the women involved since this is not something they just came up with all of a sudden to get offended about like the OP and others have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 01:47 PM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 10 days ago)

7,356 posts, read 2,925,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
So tell us what is the meaning of 'people of color.' As generally used it seems to mean 'non-white.' AOC calls herself a 'woman of color.' Is Cameron Diaz, blonde & blue and Hispanic, a 'woman of color?' Growing up I had a good friend who was Palestinian, and about as clown-pale as me, w/ my mostly N. Euro ancestry. Was he a 'person of color?' Is my Vietnamese ex-GF whose skin-tone was actually of more pallor than mine (because she never went in the sun) a 'woman of color?'

Since you say it has 'real meaning,' please tell us what it is. Physical anthro says that 'race' is a phantasmagoria. And while you're at it, tell me why we should divide the world population into 'white' and 'all others.'
Itís simple. I agree with Wiki:

Quote:
The term "person of color" (plural: people of color, persons of color; sometimes abbreviated POC) today is used primarily in the United States to describe any person who is not European American or white.
I cannot speak for how Cameron Diaz or others consider themselves.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:09 PM

20,577 posts, read 9,999,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
twitter.com/NyshaylaBarnes/status/1137907615743299586

The above link is where I had a Twitter exchange with 1 of the Twitter users in the Yahoo article (@NyshaylaBarnes):
-Me: "There is even the fact that 1 of the dictionary definitions there noted it is often used offensively towards African Americans. Sheesh, Nyshayla is getting desperate."

a. Her: "How is this being desperate?"
b. Me: "O.K., 'desperate' may have been the wrong word choice. Are you going to protest the fact that there are dictionaries with the N-word (which is often addressed as something like 'often used offensively'). How about protesting actual racist issues vs. what a dictionary says?"

c. Her: "I am not going to trivialize any Black issue over another. And I do protest for other 'real issues' that Black people face. This is one of many. Now get off my thread."
d. Me: "O.K., I see the meanings of 'black' here only as in issue when people use them in a disparaging manner. I think most don't use it that way. To me, it seems you are so stuck it having to be a race issue."

-Here, the snowflake did that "Black people cannot be racist only prejudiced power"-type post: twitter.com/NyshaylaBarnes/status/1137823738240610308.
And now everyone knows your identity. I don't know why you'd want that here, but okay.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:15 PM

3,245 posts, read 574,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
It’s simple. I agree with Wiki:

I cannot speak for how Cameron Diaz or others consider themselves.
Thank you for replying.

Your definition of 'people of color' should be able to speak to whether Diaz is a 'person of color'. That's how definitions work. They define things. The fact that your wiki definition does not speak to it indicates that it is faulty.

Those who use terms that they cannot define literally don't know what they're talking about. Agree?

I repeat my other question: why is it that world population should be divided into 'white' and 'all others?'

Old 06-10-2019, 02:20 PM

22,699 posts, read 16,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Next, no color wheel in art. It's offensive.
Wait until they find out that physics defines black as not being a color. They'll be in an uproar that science is "waascist!"

Old 06-10-2019, 02:24 PM

12,245 posts, read 17,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
By calling yourself a woman of "color", aren't you playing into the hands of the racists? Everyone woman is a woman of color. By singling out blacks, you are implicitly saying the white skin is the norm and everybody else is "colored." This is exactly what they want.
That is the thing. Black people are constantly singling themselves out. So everybody else do as well.
Too many black people are making "everybody" feel bad, uneasy, like walking on eggshells around them. They do it to themselves. Keep it up and things will never change.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:29 PM

12,245 posts, read 17,986,322 times
Quote:

Woman of color and colored women are different expressions. Language evolves, but use whatever lexicon you like. I hope it works out for you.

Perfect example!

Old 06-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 10 days ago)

7,356 posts, read 2,925,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Thank you for replying.

Your definition of 'people of color' should be able to speak to whether Diaz is a 'person of color'. That's how definitions work. They define things. The fact that your wiki definition does not speak to it indicates that it is faulty.

Those who use terms that they cannot define literally don't know what they're talking about. Agree?

I repeat my other question: why is it that world population should be divided into 'white' and 'all others?'
I defined people of color.

I wouldn’t consider Diaz a POC, but I don’t know what she considers herself.

Is this whole thing too complicated for you?

ETA: Regarding your last question: I wouldn’t call it a divide; it’s a way of distinguishing people. That’s not a bad thing.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:43 PM

6,528 posts, read 1,336,586 times
We watched the movie "The Mule" the other day, and in it, a scene showed a black couple being (mildly) offended because Clint Eastwood's character referred to them as "Negro", which brought the following questions to my mind:

Why would blacks object to being called "Negro", which is simply Spanish for black? And connected to this -- why do people who refer to themselves as "persons of color" object to being referred to as "colored"?

Btw, I am very comfortable with just calling people with dark skin and (probably) African ancestry "black" and have been doing so for over 40 years. However, I do admit getting a little annoyed with feeling I have to tread carefully when speaking of people other than 'white' people of mainly European ancestry. As I have said many times, I just wish that we would get to the point where someone's skin color (and ancestry) is completely irrelevant to almost everything -- although I think I understand and agree with the motivations behind the "Black Pride" movement in the 60's and 70's!

Last edited by katharsis; 06-10-2019 at 03:06 PM..

Old 06-10-2019, 02:44 PM

3,245 posts, read 574,473 times
Quote:
I defined people of color.

I wouldnít consider Diaz a POC, but I donít know what she considers herself.

Is this whole thing too complicated for you?

ETA: Regarding your last question: I wouldnít call it a divide; itís a way of distinguishing people. Thatís not a bad thing.
Yes, you defined it, but your definition does not work. Otherwise it would be able to tell us whether Diaz is a POC, not to mention my childhood Palestinian friend or Vietnamese ex-GF. Definitions are supposed to define--yours does not do that.

'Divide' is a synonym of 'distinguish.'

Quote:
verb
verb: divide
1.separate or be separated into parts.
You don't answer my question; you just re-arrange semantics. Again, on what basis do you separate the world into 'white' and 'all others?' Is white somehow special out of all the different shades of humanity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies